Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2010, 08:48   #61
BHPian

Lots of info regarding STAR !!

Here is a zipped PDF with a lots of interesting information about Star. I zipped it to attach here as its original size in 3.01 MB & we can upload a PDF file up to a size of 3 MB.
(I got this from Rolls-Royce Museum)
& here is the info along with an interesting video from the auctioneers from whom sold the ex-Prince of Rajkot bought back this car:
RM AUCTIONS
BTW, what are the laws to import the car that is originally from India, but now out of India for last 42 years ???
Attached Files
File Type: zip Star_of_India.zip (2.95 MB, 237 views)
Old 25th November 2010, 10:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Intresting Picture..But do you know there are 7 Bugatti Royale's one is still in Chassis Form with an original engine in the French Motor Museum in Mulhouse which was orignally the Schlumph Museum

Cheers
Kasli.

There were only 6 Type 41 Bugatti Royales ever porduced and this is a documented fact.

The chassis you speak of with the engine is a replica, though assembled using original Bugatti bits, by the Sclumpf brothers and this is what you see at their former museum today.

Read this link below on what has rumoured to have been the "seventh" Royale.

http://forums.autosport.com/lofivers...hp/t30720.html

They had also commissioned a replica of the Esdars Bugatti to which is now in Denmark.

The green car below is the Esdars Replica and these was another replica built of the Coupe Napoleon for a french move, below
Attached Thumbnails
The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-800pxbugatti_royale_sinsheim.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by wasif : 25th November 2010 at 10:52.
Old 25th November 2010, 13:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Bugatti Royale

Let me get the schlumph book out and mail you the scan with the details while i could be wrong also. Let me just see the article in that book and get back

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Kasli.

There were only 6 Type 41 Bugatti Royales ever porduced and this is a documented fact.

The chassis you speak of with the engine is a replica, though assembled using original Bugatti bits, by the Sclumpf brothers and this is what you see at their former museum today.

Read this link below on what has rumoured to have been the "seventh" Royale.

The AUTOSPORT Bulletin Board > 7th Royale

They had also commissioned a replica of the Esdars Bugatti to which is now in Denmark.

The green car below is the Esdars Replica and these was another replica built of the Coupe Napoleon for a french move, below
Old 25th November 2010, 20:05   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Given the bureaucratic hassles the ex-Prince may have faced and his determination and commitment to get the beauty back, the 1934 Rolls Royce Phantom II - Star Of India, its a BIG thumbs up to him.
I offer my salute to his commendable efforts which I am sure every vintage car lover will also like to!
The best thing I loved about the ex-Prince's feelings for the car is that he has treated it like an animate object and a long lost family member.
The facts are evident from his statement, when he says that the great car was a witness to many great happenings in their royal palace!
CHEERS Mr ex-Prince and a HAPPY 75th BIRTHDAY TO YOUR FATHER!

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 25th November 2010 at 20:06.
Old 26th November 2010, 08:06   #65
BHPian

"The car will be back to its original place, where its historically linked"

This is what ex-Prince of Rajkot, Maharaja Mandhantasinh Jadeja said after he bought back his long lost family member i.e. STAR for whopping sum of Rs.3.2 crores at the auction in Toronto:
"I managed to bring back the vintage car by paying Rs 3.22 crore. The car was displayed and auctioned at the Toronto Art Gallery in Ontario’s latest exhibition."
"I am happy to bring back the old heritage of my grandfather Dharmendrasinhji.

The car which is known as the ‘Star of India’ will be back to its original place, where its historically linked."

"Dharmendrasinhji, ruler of the princely state of Rajkot, had got the car custom-made from the company for his day-to-day use in 1934. The car remained with the family till 1968, following which it was sold

Link: Maharaja pays Rs 3.22 Crore for grandfathers Rolls Royce | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
Attached Thumbnails
The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-maharajasrollsroyceimage.jpg  

Old 27th November 2010, 23:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

I was aware that this car was bought by the Rajkot Royal family quite a while ago and did mention it to a few fellowmen. But I did not post this because efforts were on to secure permission for import. Hopefully they got this and went public. The link below was sent to me by my friend from Paris. Have a look.

The history of this car is simple and well known. The colour is safron, the colour selected when ordered new did have a religious bearing. The registration RRR 65 was obtained when the car went to UK and was in a Museum which was subsequently disbanded. Then she went to Germany. Many collectors from India/with Indian connections did go and meet the previous owner, he did quote around a million Euros. Auction was in Monaco, now she is a part of an exhibition in Canada. Car was badly damaged in a fire, and was rebuilt. Star of India is a name given to the car recently, it is not a historic name.
Glad to see that Indian heritage is coming back. Probably managed because it is a family heirloom. This is a first progressive step. Hope we end up with laws permitting reimport of Indian articles by anyone without hassles, just as the chinese are doing. But the people running our country need a lot of culture imbibed into them, they are just allowing the destruction of a house in Mumbai's Khotachiwadi. And see how greed has destroyed Napean Sea Road. So we have a long way to go till our Babus understand the meaning and value of heritage. So far the government has only noticed articles of Mahatma Gandhi when they come up for sale, perhaps we actually should give away whatever we have of his, Mani Bhavan is a sad joke on Gandhi.
Wonderful to have official news about the cars return, if she comes after March 2011 she will miss the Cartier event.
Wonderful progress for the Indian Vintage car community.

Cheers harit
Old 28th November 2010, 00:24   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
But the people running our country need a lot of culture imbibed into them, they are just allowing the destruction of a house in Mumbai's Khotachiwadi. And see how greed has destroyed Napean Sea Road. So we have a long way to go till our Babus understand the meaning and value of heritage. So far the government has only noticed articles of Mahatma Gandhi when they come up for sale, perhaps we actually should give away whatever we have of his, Mani Bhavan is a sad joke on Gandhi.
Cheers harit
I couldn't agree more. but I am not as optimistic as you to believe that the Babus & the Netas would ever understand the meaning and value of heritage. they only understand how to sell & destroy National Heritage for Money

regards
-invinci
Old 29th November 2010, 18:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

Here is a picture of a Rolls which was subsequently named Star of India. This is a very old picture, taken sometime in the 1980's when there was an exhibition of exotic cars held in Germany. My uncle took this pic for me, there was also a catalogue which I have to fish out.
This was before the fire, compare how well she was rebuilt.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-rolls-04.jpg  

Old 29th November 2010, 21:27   #69
Senior - BHPian

With the Star

This is me with the Star of India much before it was auctioned. It used to lie with a Dr in Weisbaden and part of the Phantom Collection. I had gone visited this Dr. and What a Fantastic little workshop cum Garage he had and the cars were kept so well in Total he had three cars from India and all Rolls and If I remember right, there was one car with ostrich skin upholstrey and the other had crocodile Skin upholstrey . Will attach better snaps of the Entire collection and The Star. I was much younger then . This was around 1998 / 99

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!-img00165201011292111.jpg  

Old 16th November 2011, 14:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli
This is me with the Star of India much before it was auctioned. It used to lie with a Dr in Weisbaden and part of the Phantom Collection. I had gone visited this Dr. and What a Fantastic little workshop cum Garage he had and the cars were kept so well in Total he had three cars from India and all Rolls and If I remember right, there was one car with ostrich skin upholstrey and the other had crocodile Skin upholstrey . Will attach better snaps of the Entire collection and The Star. I was much younger then . This was around 1998 / 99

Cheers
Visited this collection with Mr Dossa of the Vintage and Classic car club of India. Should give him due credit for the fantastic opportunity.

Cheers
Old 16th November 2011, 14:44   #71
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Star of India : Rajkot's Rolls Royce. EDIT: Coming home after 42yrs!

Has the car reached back home yet ?
Old 16th November 2011, 14:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is me with the Star of India ........... Cheers
Posted 29.11.2010

Quote:
Visited this collection with Mr Dossa of the Vintage and Classic car club of India. Should give him due credit for the fantastic opportunity. Cheers
Posted 16.11.2011

Wow, you realised this after almost 1 year? Something cooking?
BTW, any news on when this car is finally coming to India? I was hoping the car would still arrive in this year. Mr. Dossa gave the impression that he is helping to manage this.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 18:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit

Posted 29.11.2010

Posted 16.11.2011

Wow, you realised this after almost 1 year? Something cooking?
BTW, any news on when this car is finally coming to India? I was hoping the car would still arrive in this year. Mr. Dossa gave the impression that he is helping to manage this.

Cheers harit
Nope I don't think the car has come back. Well I don't go I missed the credits it part of everything in life. Cheers
Old 17th November 2011, 02:17   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Nope I don't think the car has come back. Well I don't go I missed the credits it part of everything in life. Cheers
I believe the car is coming back to India and should be here by March 2012. All the licensing was due to the effort of Mr. Nitin Dossa, the President of The Vintage and Classic Car Club of India.
Yash Ruia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 10:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

From my side :

The car as informed by Mr Ruia - approx March 2012

I have posted the late credit as I was browsing and seen that it was not duly put and said its never to late to do that. There are no ego's on my turf.

This topic from my side is over and all who want to comment and make faces , add smileys etc and what ever else - Please feel free.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks