Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 20:32   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi folks I have taken over this project from Hakim. I will post updates as and when i get started on the restoration. In the interim i will need to source some of the missing items listed below.

The model is a "Raleigh Roadster"

Handle Bar with Rod brake assembly
Sturmey Archer 3 speed Gear change lever and connecting assembly.
Original Raleigh stand.
Sturmey archer Reflector on the rear mudguard.
Front light.

Any leads in the direction, copies of Restoration guides etc will be highly appreciated. The Chassis no of the bicycle is 18700 BF. I am told by Hakim that it is a 1951 number. Again I am very excited to get working on this project.

All the Best

I am sure you will ROVE this one too...

Last edited by 82rawath : 30th June 2010 at 20:32. Reason: Grammartical Mistake in the sentence
Old 5th July 2010, 21:31   #32
BHPian

Recent addtion- my RALEIGH roadster 26"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here is one owned by powertwin "HUMBER Bi Cycle (1940)"
Thanks Mod, for posting my HUMBER pics.
Now just few days before picked a 26" (Frame) CCIL Raleigh, in its stock glory, though few things like Luggage carrier & rear stand needs some attention.
Note the Seat frame a "S-N-S" type frame, with Brooks leather saddle.

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc12915.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc12930.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc12931.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc12933.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc12912.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc12920.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:28. Reason: Image removed from quote. Post fixed. Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:07   #33
BHPian

y

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Thanks Mod, for posting my HUMBER pics
Now just few days before picked a 26" (Frame) CCIL Raleigh, in its stock glory, though few things like Luggage carrier & rear stand needs some attention.
Note the Seat frame a" S-N-S" type frame, with Brooks leather saddle
My Raleigh Bicycle is 24" Frame & not 26" as mentioned in the previous post, Sorry guys !!
Old 5th July 2010, 23:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Raleigh Bicycle is 24" Frame & not 26" as mentioned in the previous post, Sorry guys !!
What year is this, also what is the chassis no. I am trying to also restore my 1951 Raleigh.
Old 5th July 2010, 23:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Fractional Horse Powered Cycle

@Powertwin, You are really modest and not showing another beauty in your garage

Ok, I took the liberty to post your yet another proud procession, The fractional horse powered bi-cycle in the following thread. You are rocking!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1968485

Just a teaser picture here:
Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc12865.jpg
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Amol, John,Rehaan - I have a 1960 Raleigh Humber bicycle with me. It was brought to Mumbai by Captain Jussawalla from England in 1960 in an Air India aircraft. He used to stay in a bungalow in Andheri (West). He passed away in an air crash in 1966. The bicycle was in his bungalow. My father bought it for me in 1972 when I was in the tenth standard. They were asking for 500 rupees, my father said 400 rupees (I was on tenterhooks), finally settled for 450 rupees. My father cycled down from Andheri to Dadar in 1972. I used to take it to my college SBM Polytechnic & then VJTI very regularly. It has the original Sturmey Archer 3 speed gearbox with the thin cable shifter, a hub dynamo, a light which can be alternately run on the dynamo or on 3 normal size battery cells placed in a cylinder attached to the frame. It also has a pump which catches on two arrow heads on the frame. The best part is that it has a steering lock, which can lock the handle in 3 positions, LH side, Centre or RH side. I still have the original key with WILMOT UNION BREEDEN written on it. It had whitewall tyres but some mischeivous guy spoilt them in 1973. Since then it does not have whitewall tyres. It has a full enclosed chain cover. As of today, it is lying in dismantled condition in my loft. It now belongs to my dearest sons Cyrus and Darayus. Obviously, we shall never ever sell it. I will be very happy to see it in running condition once again. I would love to ride it someday. The very soft "click click click " of the Sturmey Archer gearbox is a delight to hear. The free rolling was so good that I used to free wheel for quite good distances. The balance was perfect. An excellent product of a bygone era!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, just now read your bicycle details,i am really impressed by the bike and the way you have elaborated the feel of ride,this is a real gem you own, and would love to see it once its back on road, as i live in ludhiana ,which is known for cycle parts, may be i could be of some help to you,and as for white wall tires, i think we can get them here in India, as i saw a hero cycle (ladies one) with pink frame and white tires,pls let me know the rim size,lastly wish you all the best and may god help you to make the bike on road very soon
Old 30th August 2010, 16:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
Sir, just now read your bicycle details,i am really impressed by the bike and the way you have elaborated the feel of ride,this is a real gem you own, and would love to see it once its back on road, as i live in ludhiana ,which is known for cycle parts, may be i could be of some help to you,and as for white wall tires, i think we can get them here in India, as i saw a hero cycle (ladies one) with pink frame and white tires,pls let me know the rim size,lastly wish you all the best and may god help you to make the bike on road very soon
Inderpalji can you find out whether NOS Raleigh Rod brake roadster parts are still available in Ludhiana?
Old 30th August 2010, 16:54   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is that an oil lamp based light? I remember seeing that on my grandfather's bicycle, the only vehicle he ever owned. It had a bottom case to hold the oil, and a magnifying glass in the front to focus the light on the road. I wonder how well it worked in darkness. I was too young to ask that question when he was alive.
Old 30th August 2010, 17:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Amol..very nice thread that you have started on classic and vintage bicycles.I have a 1981 BSA SLR,imnot sure if it comes under classic category.
Behram Sir,it is a nice surprise to know that you are a enthusiast of Vintage and classic bicycles.
Old 30th August 2010, 18:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Is that an oil lamp based light? I remember seeing that on my grandfather's bicycle, the only vehicle he ever owned. It had a bottom case to hold the oil, and a magnifying glass in the front to focus the light on the road. I wonder how well it worked in darkness. I was too young to ask that question when he was alive.
Yes Sharath, you are right. This is the same kerosene + coconut oil mixture lanterns used in the bi-cycles.

During the old days when very little electricity used these lanterns did play a role in helping the riders for navigation in the pitch dark scenarios.

I have one of these light with me that was manufactured in India by a company called Sardar, however the original design and concept was conceived and marketed by Lucas, England.
Old 18th September 2010, 21:29   #41
BHPian

spotted a Raleigh road ster 22"

Couldn't resist posting these pics of a a Clean 22" Nottingham Raleigh, it was parked at colony near my garage.
Note those, neat full chain oil bath case, bronze bell (not brass) original mudguards, Brooks saddle leather, etc.

This pics posted, will be useful for Bicycle enthusiasts to identify stuffs like RALEIND Chain covers, handle bars ...

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-pdf-operators-code-specific-level-3.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc14015.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc14016.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:30. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Robin Hood bicycle

Quote:
Couldn't resist posting these pics of a a Clean 22" Nottingham Raleigh
A big heartfelt thank you to Powertwin for aquiring a beautiful Robin Hood frame for my classic bicycle collection. I will try my best to restore it to its original condition.

A beautiful raleigh indeed thanks for sharing with us.

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc14023.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:30. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 24th September 2010, 20:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A big heartfelt thank you to Powertwin for aquiring a beautiful Robin Hood frame for my classic bicycle collection. I will try my best to restore it to its original condition.
Please check out this crank sprocket, think it is of Robin Hood !!!
I clicked this pic few days before at a Cycle shop.

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-sdc14001-copy.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:31. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 24th September 2010, 21:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Couldn't resist posting these pics of a a Clean 22" Nottingham Raleigh
Few days after had a chance to interact with the Original Owner of the Original Bike.
Got a SA 3 speed hub from him, but the stuff was not working (sticky gear engagement) Hence dismantalled & have to fix it after getting a worn out 1 st idler gear ...

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-11-copy.jpg

Vintage and classic Bicycles in India-12-copy.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 18:32. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 24th September 2010, 23:34   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plz check out this crank sprocket, think it is of Robin Hood !!!
I clicked this pic few days before at a Cycle shop
Thank you sir! looks very similar to the Raleigh crank but only the stork has been replace by the R and N. Is there any way of telling wether the frame we have is from a Rod brake roadster or a regular cable system bicycle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks