Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 20:55   #1
BHPian

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG

Dear Members,

Though I would post some picture of my Feb 18th 1943 Ford GPW (BRM 197), that was restored by Mr.UBS himself. This project stared off almost two years back and I got the Jeep last December. Mr. UBS has put a lot of effort and dedication on this Jeep in terms of it's performance and restoration. Taking a ride on this Jeep makes you forget all the tough times we had on restoring this Jeep.

I know I owe sir, a detailed write up on this Jeep but for the time being I want to just post some pictures. A much more detailed story would be followed.

A lot of people have helped me out in my restoration and I have a lot of people to thank for their efforts and guidance but I do want to specifically acknowledge Saif, Hemindra, Vaibhav and Bikram and of course Mr. UBS himself for all their help and guidance. I am 100% sure that sir will agree with me when I say that these guys are going to be the future restoration champions in India and they surly have changed the way a restoration is done on a Jeep. I am really proud of you guy !!

I know for sure that my Jeep is not factory perfect and needs a lot of work in terms of corrections and additions. I don't have the original GPW engine on it and I would request all Jeep thrill members to help me out in sourcing one.

Like to my Picasa web album :
https://picasaweb.google.com/rejojg503/1943FordGPW#
https://picasaweb.google.com/rejojg503/FordGPWToolkit#

I have spend two plus years in getting all the tools and accessories for my Jeep and it surly has been a bumpy ride. I would also suggest that if anyone is really serious in WWII Jeep then the best place is www.g503.com They have one of the best WWII Jeeps restorers and researchers in the world. A lot I know has been because of their excellent threads in G503 or G as they call it. I have pictured my Jeep now in CJ rims because I could not get my combat rims and new tires on time during this photo.

Pictures in my web album are in HD and uploaded in original size so you can zoom in to see more details of the pictures.

Warms regards,
Rejo Jacob
+91 9895176789
Kerala
Attached Thumbnails
1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-0.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-1.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-2.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-3.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-4.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-5.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-6.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-7.jpg  

1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG-jeep-8.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 10th February 2011, 21:32   #2
BHPian

Re: 1943 Ford GPW with .30 Cal 1919a4 MG

Just the jeep that i have always dreamed of having.!!! The side mounted gun is a killer. Surely shows the pain and effort that must have gone in this beauty.

Can you please post some more pics especially of the rear and the underbody (if possible).? A few videos would be nice too.
Old 10th February 2011, 21:57   #3
BHPian

Never been a great Jeep Fan, but this car with all the "extras" has made me a convert!

What a remarkable restoration!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smileys.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 11th February 2011 at 10:31.
Old 10th February 2011, 21:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

WOW ...finally we get to see your Jeep....looks awsome, job well done. The accessories are amazing.

What engine are you running right now?

Please post a detailed narrative of the reestoration with pictures.

BTW ....is that machine gun for real.....imagine what you could do to someone who cuts in your way

The upholstry in the pics on your picassa album looks like soem kind of rexine ...did you change it to canvas

Last edited by wasif : 10th February 2011 at 22:08.
Old 10th February 2011, 22:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

@Rejo, this is the Jeep which UBS Sir told me some time back. Please share details of what all you have done (Mechanical, Sheet metal work, Accessories etc.) I see you are from Kochi, would like to check out this beauty when I am in Kerala next time. Keep up the good work!

Spike
Old 10th February 2011, 22:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Salute ! To a superb restoration hope you find the original gpw engine. All the best.

Cheers
Old 10th February 2011, 22:30   #7
BHPian

Whoa!! That's a nice jeep you've got there!

BTW, does the .30 Cal 1919a4 MG need a permission or license? How did you go about getting that done?
Old 11th February 2011, 00:15   #8
NFS
BHPian

Salute the Dedication of Jeep Lover, beloved Mr. UBS. It has been wonderful knowing you sir!

Also, the level of detail you had on the restoration with the gun (man that is a killer machine).

All the best and keep pouring more info about this restoration project. Eagerly waiting for your answers on many question here already posted.
Old 11th February 2011, 07:36   #9
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Rejo,

I am just amazed at the number of things that you have collected for the jeep. Guess only a Jeep can haul this load of items. This passion has no limits as demonstrated by you.

Congrats once again. Please do post the restoration snaps and also some stories on the accessories that you have picked.

Cheers

KPS
Old 11th February 2011, 14:40   #10
BHPian

awesome,
ubs sir, hats off
Old 12th February 2011, 00:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Rejo,

At first congratulations for the excellent GPW. You must be proud to have this jeep done up by beloved Jeep Guru Mr.UBS.

You know what I'm in your boat too, LoL. Sooner than later I will have my GPW project kick starting somewhere in the country.

As of now got an Engine, refer the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2059770

and almost close to strike a deal for a original Ford GPW chassis and body with legal papers. What else I need to start the project ? LoL

Good my trip to US is on the near future, will add the required parts to complete the restoration.
Old 12th February 2011, 10:00   #12
BANNED

I just had a chat with UBS sir after seeing this pic.

I must say, there is not one more MAD CHAP on earth when it comes to Jeep like UBS sir

He goes on talking about every nut and bolt used on the jeep, so damn passionate, its impossible to find one with such dedication.

I must congratulate Rejo to have had the opportunity of his lifetime in getting UBS sir restore his jeep. Rejo was a tough nut to crack as per UBS sir. But end of the day he's got the Best.

Enjoy the jeep to its fullest.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 12th February 2011 at 10:02.
Old 12th February 2011, 10:57   #13
BHPian

Great looking Jeep and a fantastic array of original tools. Congratulations on owning such a marvellous car.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
Just the jeep that i have always dreamed of having.!!! The side mounted gun is a killer. Surely shows the pain and effort that must have gone in this beauty.

Can you please post some more pics especially of the rear and the underbody (if possible).? A few videos would be nice too.
Thanks for the appreciation. I will try to snap some more pictures and upload them in my Picasa album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Never been a great Jeep Fan, but this car with all the "extras" has made me a convert!

What a remarkable restoration!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smileys.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.
Thank you and yes these accessories are the main reason why I always wanted a WWII Jeep in the first place. Boy, you can really go crazy when restoring a WWII Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
WOW ...finally we get to see your Jeep....looks awsome, job well done. The accessories are amazing.

What engine are you running right now?

Please post a detailed narrative of the reestoration with pictures.

BTW ....is that machine gun for real.....imagine what you could do to someone who cuts in your way

The upholstry in the pics on your picassa album looks like soem kind of rexine ...did you change it to canvas

Right now it's on a MM XD3P engine with T90. The engine performs well especially due to the body weight ratio. Yes, the seats are rexene now and I will have to upgrade my upholstery again in the future to a better color and condition. That would all happen when I get my GPW engine and then I would change the color of the Jeep and upholstery to correct OD shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Rejo, this is the Jeep which UBS Sir told me some time back. Please share details of what all you have done (Mechanical, Sheet metal work, Accessories etc.) I see you are from Kochi, would like to check out this beauty when I am in Kerala next time. Keep up the good work!

Spike
Spike, sure just let me know. Right now it's in Kochi but next week it should be in Trivandrum (that's where I work now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Salute ! To a superb restoration hope you find the original gpw engine. All the best.

Cheers
Thanks, I too hope I get my GPW engine pretty soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Whoa!! That's a nice jeep you've got there!

BTW, does the .30 Cal 1919a4 MG need a permission or license? How did you go about getting that done?
It's a repro MG and does not and can never be fired and is equivalent to having a toy gun mounted on the Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Salute the Dedication of Jeep Lover, beloved Mr. UBS. It has been wonderful knowing you sir!

Also, the level of detail you had on the restoration with the gun (man that is a killer machine).

All the best and keep pouring more info about this restoration project. Eagerly waiting for your answers on many question here already posted.
Thanks for the kind words. Getting the mount ready was the toughest part as there are no drawings available and I had to improvise. I have an engineering college next to my place who had a lot of equipments for creating the mount and its also because of my dad's calculations and measurements that I got this all right

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Hey Rejo,

I am just amazed at the number of things that you have collected for the jeep. Guess only a Jeep can haul this load of items. This passion has no limits as demonstrated by you.

Congrats once again. Please do post the restoration snaps and also some stories on the accessories that you have picked.

Cheers

KPS
Thank you for appreciating the restoration. It has taken me a lot of time and effort to reach where I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hi Rejo,

At first congratulations for the excellent GPW. You must be proud to have this jeep done up by beloved Jeep Guru Mr.UBS.

You know what I'm in your boat too, LoL. Sooner than later I will have my GPW project kick starting somewhere in the country.

As of now got an Engine, refer the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2059770

and almost close to strike a deal for a original Ford GPW chassis and body with legal papers. What else I need to start the project ? LoL

Good my trip to US is on the near future, will add the required parts to complete the restoration.
That's a pretty neat engine you have got there. Wish I am as luck as you in getting an engine. Care to message me the serial number of the engine. I am trying to identify the different GPW that came in India. Oh and by the looks of it, your engine is still in the Ford ocean grey color which is a first for me here in India. Please do a lot of research and then only start purchasing parts or else you will end up spending a lot of money for something that is not right for a WWII Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I just had a chat with UBS sir after seeing this pic.

I must say, there is not one more MAD CHAP on earth when it comes to Jeep like UBS sir

He goes on talking about every nut and bolt used on the jeep, so damn passionate, its impossible to find one with such dedication.

I must congratulate Rejo to have had the opportunity of his lifetime in getting UBS sir restore his jeep. Rejo was a tough nut to crack as per UBS sir. But end of the day he's got the Best.

Enjoy the jeep to its fullest.
Thank you. Sir has been and still is very supportive on everything I talk about. We have long wonderful conversations and I know that his passion for the WWII Jeep is beyond questioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Great looking Jeep and a fantastic array of original tools. Congratulations on owning such a marvellous car.
Thanks for your feedback
Old 15th February 2011, 15:22   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewJ View Post
That's a pretty neat engine you have got there. Wish I am as luck as you in getting an engine. Care to message me the serial number of the engine. I am trying to identify the different GPW that came in India. Oh and by the looks of it, your engine is still in the Ford ocean grey color which is a first for me here in India. Please do a lot of research and then only start purchasing parts or else you will end up spending a lot of money for something that is not right for a WWII Jeep.
Right now I don't have the serial number handy with me. I will share soon. I'm very consicous about restoring a GPW, I'm planning to have this engine transported to UBS Jeep station for servicing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks