Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is the maximum distance that you have ridden solo in one day?
Upto 250 kms 2 9.52%
Upto 500 kms 5 23.81%
Upto 750 kms 3 14.29%
More than 750 kms (please specify) 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 21:40   #46
BANNED

Re: How many KMs a day is feasible on a long ride?

I entirely agree with GTO's post about taking it easy and only riding when the light is bright and from the sun. I have done my share of biking and I believe that in India covering anything more than 300 km in a day on a motorcycle is only a bravado thing. I've had friends doing the Pune - Shirdi - Pune trips in the night several times over... but I also HAD friends of the same ilk. They are now only memories. Biking is fun when you do it for fun. If you need to commute inter city, then I think buses and trains should do it for you. There is no shortage of potholes, and other life threatening things.

Note from Support. Post edited.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Hello bikers,

I personally think about 600 kms are possible in a day.

Reason: I have done Mumbai - Ahmednagar return trip on a Kinetic Velocity in 21 hrs(about 600 Kms) The cruising speed maintained was about 70 KMPH. Hence I feel doing the same distance on a Karizma / Pulsor 220 will be much easier as the cruising speed can be higher.

The right gear (atleast Helmet, Shoes, Jeans, Jacket / think full sleeves Shirt, Toolkit, first aid kit) is absolutely essential. Also try not to ride solo, know of people who have died because of accidents and no timely help.
Old 15th May 2013, 11:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Around 600-800 kms per day is eminently doable on decent roads. In the mountains even 300-400 is a struggle.
Old 15th May 2013, 17:36   #49
BHPian

Had a memorable ride from Chennai - Hyderabad(Apache RTR160) last March ~720 kms which took ~17hrs ,of which ~300kms was SH.

Understood that the distance you cover depends on the road conditions and the traffic/villages you are passing through. If it's NH, then as ebonho said 600-800kms is easily doable from a 10-12hrs ride on any 150+ class bike.
Old 16th May 2013, 09:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

I did Mumbai - Goa in 11 hours, same day. That is approximately 550 kilometers.
No problem in covering this long a distance, provided you have the right weather conditions.

Best, leave around 3 am or something after having a nice nap, lets you cover a good distance (mostly familiar - city region) without any traffic.

Most important : Is your mind ready to do it?

Never start off on a ride when your mind is not prepared.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 10:03   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I did Mumbai - Goa in 11 hours, same day. That is approximately 550 kilometers.
No problem in covering this long a distance, provided you have the right weather conditions.

Best, leave around 3 am or something after having a nice nap, lets you cover a good distance (mostly familiar - city region) without any traffic.

Most important : Is your mind ready to do it?

Never start off on a ride when your mind is not prepared.
I do mumbai -mangalore once or twice a year 970kms takes about 16hours. If and only if you leave mumbai before 5am. Make surety carry some light snacks rehydrating drinks good music and a co driver who enjoys long distance drives n doesn't dose off very often. Keep your breaks to a mx of 15 minutes.
Old 16th May 2013, 10:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docaxe View Post

I do mumbai -mangalore once or twice a year 970kms takes about 16hours. If and only if you leave mumbai before 5am. Make surety carry some light snacks rehydrating drinks good music and a co driver who enjoys long distance drives n doesn't dose off very often. Keep your breaks to a mx of 15 minutes.
My bad I read it as a drive ...for a ride I guess 10hrs a day should be safe
Old 27th November 2013, 18:46   #53
J.Ravi

It all depends on the man, the machine, the weather and the road conditions, IMO. Recently, I rode solo Chennai>Kanniyakumari>Chennai [1482 km] within 25 hours on my Thunderbird 500, including breaks and foggy and rainy weather conditions. I had planned the trip for 2 days in the beginning, and after reaching Kanniyakumari, changed my mind and started the return journey after one hour as I felt I was physically fit and mentally alert to undertake the return journey. The details are here.
  (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 21:32   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Many have already stated that it depends on many factors.

I'm really new to the whole biker scene. Never owned or rode o motor bike until I came to India. Now I own a 1975 restored Bullet and I'm out just about every weekend with my biker friends.

The most I did was Delhi to Lansdowne. 280 kilometer with some 16 bikes.

Even though the roads were pretty good it still took the better part of 8 hours. We did stop regularly of course. Drove back mostly in the dark, which I recommend you avoid at all cost.

Last Sunday a ride Delhi to Tilyar lake, a little over 85 kilometers, took 2.5 hours. A few months ago we drove to Surajgarh. 185 kilometers, took 4-5 hours.

On all these trips we were doing, whenever possible speeds up to 80 kilometers per hour, but I find that as soon as you pass through village or towns your speed drops considerably. Throw in a 15-20 minutes stop every 90-120 minutes and your average will be in the 40-45 km/h realistically.

Not much experience, but these are my "data points" so far.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 21:56   #55
BHPian

At my age at this point of time (physical health), About 600kms with a mix of GQ, state owned village roads and a decent ghat section, on a decent decade old indian touring bike. If its only Ghats, I would max out at 200kms. I will have a buffer of a 100kms. If at all I get to do the leh, it would be 150 kms, with a 50 km buffer.

* my day would mostly start at 5 to 6 am, and end by 3pm. again a buffer of 2 hours.

I think, thats the best way to enjoy ones ride with many breaks without breaking your back or your bones on any Indian road. Ride safe guys, Always remember to get back home in one shape.
Old 28th November 2013, 09:32   #56
BHPian

Hi,

Sounds exactly what I was asking about 3 months ago !! 3 of us are planning a 2500 km/7 day ride in Early jan - plans in place - we are about the same age as your friend we are 38 to 45 and are on a CBR, P220 and a Unicorn.

After having spoken to numerous people who have had the experience, Our experience is very very limited - and the max we have done is 400 km per day about 3 times in the last 3 months (for practice purposes). As the experts here are saying doing 400 km per day for 7 days is tough an thats what we have heard too. I hope the below summary helps.

Note : All days are a 5.30 am start and no night riding - we intend to complete the day around 7 latest. Breakfast, lunch and tea breaks spaced our every 100 or so kilometers. how to handle hydration is a open question - Also as other posts indicated - PLEASE ensure proper riding gear is in place and please avoid backpacks - I have experienced a torrid time having a bag on my back and no tie it on my ride with the bungee cord.

Day 1 - 550 KM - Chennai to Chitradurga
Day 2 - 400 Km - Chirtadurga to Kohlapur
Day 3 - 400 KM - Kohlapur to Shirdi
Day 4 - Break in SHirdi
Day 5 - 580 KM - Shirdi To Raichur - (This seems a toughie for we dont know the route, we pretty much know day 1 roads and hence the variation in Approach)
Day 6 - 450 KM - Raichur To Tirupati
Day 7 - 150 km - Post darshan @ tirupati - Tirupati to chennai.

We have also planned the start on saturday and back on friday with 2 days of off being reserve days just in case we decide to break elsewhere or any other situation.

We have been warned that day 5 and 6 are going to be the toughest as there is the cumulative effort which most experienced riders say is the hardest to surmount - Hydration is also indicated a major problem and needs paying special attention to.

Any other feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Srini
Old 28th November 2013, 09:33   #57
BHPian

As I rider I would say it depends on many factors.
* Quality of road - In India unless you are travelling in NH, road conditions wont suit for cruising and not to forget uninvited guests cropping up in the middle of the road from nowhere. Naturally these things will prompt you to travel in snail`s pace.

* Traffic Condition - Whether you are riding a motorcycle or driving a car, this is one of most important factor which will affect your driving. With no lane discipline and vehicles ripping away from both sides, you will become defensive and you will always be in a watch out situation.

* Driver Fatigue - Often after riding some distance you will be prone to fatigue especially when you are driving through a boring highway. Driving fast, keeping your eye of the road and lack of concentration are the signs of it. Once you are attacked with this bug then its gone. You have to stop, walk out for some distance, just lie around your bike. Obviously it will eat up good amount of your time.

* Mental peace - For me it is important to have a peace of mind when I am riding. With no sort of urgency, I always try to enjoy my ride. Infact many a times I have given away my driving seat whenever there is some urgency.

All in all as someone said it is important for you to enjoy your ride than covering a distance. If you enjoy then I am sure you can cruise whatever distance you can. As a matter of fact I have ridden 470 kms in a single day and I would certainly want to beat my record provided I enjoy my ride.

Cheers!!
-DH
Old 28th November 2013, 10:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

600 kms a day is practical with good roads. What I mean by practical is a relaxed ride with a comfortable bike.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Hi,

Sounds exactly what I was asking about 3 months ago !! 3 of us are planning a 2500 km/7 day ride in Early jan - plans in place - we are about the same age as your friend we are 38 to 45 and are on a CBR, P220 and a Unicorn.
I think you guys are being tooled around by well-meaning friends/advisors. Riding a motorcycle is really easy if you are well equipped (good helmets with scratchproof visors, safety gear ) and have a decent experience in riding at 90-100 sustained speeds for >4-5 hours, you will do just fine. It is NOT rocket science, nor about crazy endurance (this aint ironbutt) - it is just about starting early, riding with discipline (moderate eating/drinking) and taking limited breaks.

During my last big ride on Holi 2012- I did 560km from home (50% in himachal) with my wife in 15 hours including about 2+ hours of repairs/checks on the bike and leisurely meals, in spite of the bike's shockers being gone.

Regarding hydration - if you guys are REALLY worried from FK: - Camelbak hydration packs are the Honda Citys of this business, but btwin is okay too.

IMHO - you folks should push hard and get days 1-3' ride done on day 2 itself, it is QUITE doable provided you start early and ride with discipline (no smoking pls!). The only fly in the ointment is the Unicorn - it may not be able to cruise at 100 as easily full day, as the CBR or the P220 might be able to.

oh and do you guys wear spectacles? (not lenses) that may be a bit of an issue at night.

Last suggestion - sync up with the HVK team regarding hotels. They can let you guys push ahead and be much more flexible if you guys are running ahead/behind schedule.

As Confucius said: "Life is so simple but we insist on making it complicated". Just chill!

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th November 2013 at 12:59.
Old 28th November 2013, 21:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Hi,

After having spoken to numerous people who have had the experience, Our experience is very very limited - and the max we have done is 400 km per day about 3 times in the last 3 months (for practice purposes). As the experts here are saying doing 400 km per day for 7 days is tough an thats what we have heard too. I hope the below summary helps.

Note : All days are a 5.30 am start and no night riding - we intend to complete the day around 7 latest. Breakfast, lunch and tea breaks spaced our every 100 or so kilometers. how to handle hydration is a open question - Also as other posts indicated - PLEASE ensure proper riding gear is in place and please avoid backpacks - I have experienced a torrid time having a bag on my back and no tie it on my ride with the bungee cord.

Day 1 - 550 KM - Chennai to Chitradurga
Day 2 - 400 Km - Chirtadurga to Kohlapur
Day 3 - 400 KM - Kohlapur to Shirdi
Day 4 - Break in SHirdi
Day 5 - 580 KM - Shirdi To Raichur - (This seems a toughie for we dont know the route, we pretty much know day 1 roads and hence the variation in Approach)
Day 6 - 450 KM - Raichur To Tirupati
Day 7 - 150 km - Post darshan @ tirupati - Tirupati to chennai.

We have also planned the start on saturday and back on friday with 2 days of off being reserve days just in case we decide to break elsewhere or any other situation.

We have been warned that day 5 and 6 are going to be the toughest as there is the cumulative effort which most experienced riders say is the hardest to surmount - Hydration is also indicated a major problem and needs paying special attention to.

Any other feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Srini
Hi Srini, I am 50 years old and just back from a solo 666 Kms coastal ride on my Duke 390. Your itinirary as mentioned above is just fine. The road from Chennai to Bangalore 350 Kms is absolutely fantastic and if you don't enter city, using the NICE road it is another beautiful stretch to Chitradurga.

I think your day 2 and day 3 are a bit easy as the NH is pretty easy too.

on Day 4 you get a full day's rest at Shirdi to recuperate and from 5th day on may be you could change the plans.
Day 5: Shirdi to Solapur about 310 Kms
Day 6th solapur to Adoni is about 366 kms
Day 7th Adoni to Tirupati is about 370 Kms
Day 8th Tirupati to Chennai

The route is essentially the same. instead of Raichur, I just broke the ride into 2 days because 580 Kms on that stretch of road (Not GQ standards) is stretching a bit too much I feel.

I am taking the liberty of extending the trip by 1 day as you mentioned that you have 2 extra days buffer.

If you see the itinerary, you progressively ride lesser distance as the days passes by and 350 ish distance is pretty ok on day 5,6, and 7. It is easy on your fatigue and with one more day you get peace of mind.

Regarding hydration, I use the Via Terra Marine Hydration Pack for my rides. I have written about this hydration pack some where here at TBHP in KTM Duke 390 topics / threads.

check out this site: http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...d-2288017.aspx

http://www.viaterra.in/categories/Mo...U00082647.aspx

this is a 2 ltr hydration pack which can be used a light backpack while riding and you can sip the water or juice ( I normally make a mixture of water, salt, sugar and lime with some crushed ice) while cruising without any stoppages.

and I also use the Via Terra Claw rear luggage system without any bungee chord and it sits rock solid. you can try that too. a pic of my bike with the bag which also helps as a back rest is attached herewith.

And then make a list of items to carry such as swiss knife, a torch, a rope of about 5 mtrs length (in case if towing is necessary). also learn how to make a puncture ( I believe all bikes have tubeless tires, so that is not much an issue as the bike can trudge to the nearest puncture shop anyway), Documents, spare key of the bike and stuffs like that. carry chain lubricating oil as you may have to lube the chain, learn chain tightening from the mechanic, spare clutch / accl cables as getting spare for a CBR could be difficult ( these are precautionary measures of course).

One thing about the rides is that once you are in the ride, it progressively becomes easier as nerves tend to cool down and you start enjoying the ride more. Always keep your headlights ON, decide who will lead and who will tail, in close formation always keep in Zig Zag manner. first bike on right side of the lane, second bike on the left side of the lane, last bike again on the right side of the lane ( lane with in your left side of the road I mean). As Unicorn is the slowest among the bikes stick to Unicorn speed of say 80-90 Kmph which should be just fine. keep checking the rear mirror if your fellow rider is behind, if not slow down, a better idea is to have the Unicorn as the lead as the unicorn rider can determine the speed and others can keep up. and the usual safe riding stuffs like not overtaking in blind curves, using indicators and horns, keeping headlights ON always, always parking very much off the road for photo and butt breaks etc etc will keep you safe and the ride a memorable and enjoyable

and finally the ride is in the mind and the rest are secondary. (Honestly speaking chitradurga to shirdi is a one day ride.. but let us not discuss it further) your ride and the suggested itinirary is perfectly doable with comfortable speeds and lots of intermittent butt breaks. Enjoy, take lots of snaps, have fun and ride safe. you guys will do fantastic and may Shirdi Sai Baba bless your ride.
Attached Thumbnails
How many KMs a day is feasible on a long ride?-dscn1157-copy.jpg  

How many KMs a day is feasible on a long ride?-dscn1629-copy.jpg  

How many KMs a day is feasible on a long ride?-dscn1716-copy.jpg  

Last edited by ashkamath : 28th November 2013 at 21:53. Reason: additional info added
ashkamath is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks