Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 13:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Continental to introduce low-cost, One Channel ABS in India

Link to News Section

German auto parts manufacturer Continental has engineered a low cost, One Channel Anti-Lock Braking System, aimed primarily at two wheelers in the developing world. Serial production of Continental's One Channel ABS unit will commence early next year with India being a prime market for this system. So, the first crop of Indian two wheelers sporting Continental's One Channel ABS could hit Indian roads sometime next year. The One Channel ABS unit works only on one wheel, i.e. the front wheel, quite unlike the dual channel ABS system that works on both wheels.

Continental to introduce low-cost, One Channel ABS in India-continental-one-channel-abs.jpg

Since the major part of a two wheeler's braking happens at the front wheel, the One Channel ABS unit is a low cost solution intended to be used on commuter motorcycles and scooters, most of which use disc brakes only on the front wheel. The prime advantage of the One Channel ABS system is its lower cost, which ensures the system's higher acceptance on the cost sensitive commuter motorcycle and scooter segments. The one channel ABS, like the two channel system, will modulate braking pressure even under the hardest braking and prevent the front wheel from locking up.

The system works exactly like a conventional ABS unit, in that it uses wheel speed sensors to detect the locking of a wheel. Upon detection of the wheel locking, the microprocessor that controls the One Channel ABS modulates brake pressure and releases the brake in very short, momentary bursts to ensure that it doesn't lock up the front wheel while slowing down the vehicle at the fastest rate possible. So, even under hard braking, the motorcycle/scooter rider will be able to steer around an obstacle with the help of the One Channel ABS unit, a scenario that would have otherwise not been possible with a locked up front wheel.

Continental to introduce low-cost, One Channel ABS in India-illustration-motorcycle-abs-action.jpg

Skids due to a locked up front wheel on motorcycles and scooters equipped with a front disc brake are major reasons for accidents. The One Channel ABS unit will prevent just this. Indian roads are notorious for their dusty conditions leading to low grip situations, which increase the possibility of skidding under hard braking. Also, ABS is a life saver during wet conditions where a disc brake equipped motorcycle/scooter will lock up its front wheel under the slightest over modulation of the brake lever. ABS reduces braking distances by a big margin in the wet.

Notably, Continental is not the first autoparts maker to come up with the One Channel ABS set up. Competitor and compatriot Bosch has already begun producing the One Channel ABS, early this year. In India, three production motorcycles, the TVS Apache 180, the Honda CBR250R and the KTM Duke 390 are offered with ABS. The ABS units on these motorcycles are dual channel systems, which means that ABS works on both the front and rear wheels in tandem. While the ABS on the KTM Duke and TVS Apache 180 can be switched on and off by the rider, the Honda CBR250R's ABS doesn't offer feature.

Illustration courtesy EuropeanMotorNews

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 31st July 2013 at 13:04. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 20:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Continental to introduce low-cost, One Channel ABS in India

TVS uses the (2 channel) Continental system. Have not heard anything adverse about it.

Leaving aside the low cost part, is a single channel system legal in the EU?

Regards
Sutripta

PS - In India, where half the riding population uses the rear brakes (only), which wheel should have the ABS?
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 20:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
PS - In India, where half the riding population uses the rear brakes (only), which wheel should have the ABS?
Good one. A front wheel skid will surely result in a fall whereas you can recover a rear wheel skid to an extent. So ideally it should be the front brakes.
abhinav.s is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 10:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure of the adverse coverage that continental gets for its product but this could be a boon for the low cost mass motorcycles produced, sold and exported from India.

Even if a second is saved in such conditions; would be a great improvement for the bikers using machines fitted with ABS (single / dual channel doesnt matter to me).

Its not business as usual and some efforts are being made in making 2 wheelers more safe - well I am in for all such developments, though I am still not able to understand why 2 wheeler owners do not go by the rules, and wear their riding gears properly not even the helmets are strapped and buying safety products from roadside should be stopped.

We have started buying star labelled electrical equipments right from tubelights, refrigerators, ACs etc but do not wish to spend may be Rs 300-500 extra on a ISI / BIS marked helmet.

Good going otherwise.

Drive safe.

Last edited by i74js : 1st August 2013 at 10:30.
Old 1st August 2013, 14:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TVS uses the (2 channel) Continental system. Have not heard anything adverse about it.

Leaving aside the low cost part, is a single channel system legal in the EU?

Sutripta-da, you sure know your technical stuff. Yes, TVS has been using the Conti 2 channel ABS for the past few years and we don't have any adverse feedback.

It is very much legal in the EU, when you see the kind of products it will be fitted on. This is not a system you are going to find on bigger capacity motorcycles or sports bikes.

Your question on which wheel should have ABS is very much valid. And the best answer for that is given by abhinav.s. A rear wheel skid is much more controllable by an average rider. But front wheel skids are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good one. A front wheel skid will surely result in a fall whereas you can recover a rear wheel skid to an extent. So ideally it should be the front brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I am not sure of the adverse coverage that continental gets for its product but this could be a boon for the low cost mass motorcycles produced, sold and exported from India.

Even if a second is saved in such conditions; would be a great improvement for the bikers using machines fitted with ABS (single / dual channel doesnt matter to me).
Spot on. I have tested different ABS systems on a variety of surfaces, and even this small system makes a huge difference during panic braking.

Ride safe.

Last edited by GTO : 12th August 2013 at 14:10. Reason: Quoted post on tyres deleted. Hence...
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 17:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
I sure may be biased, because I work for Continental and specifically as a vehicle test engineer for ABS development.
Good Stuff mate, are you getting this contraption for the RD which you are rebuilding? Would be interesting to see if at all you do how well it would work.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 17:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Good Stuff mate, are you getting this contraption for the RD which you are rebuilding? Would be interesting to see if at all you do how well it would work.
He he, Mahesh, we will have to do the experiment on your RD though, since my bike is never going to get a disc brake.
Old 1st August 2013, 18:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He he, Mahesh, we will have to do the experiment on your RD though, since my bike is never going to get a disc brake.
Lol, if you want me to be a guinea pig then so be it, but am not gonna pay for it

On the contrary, do you think it would work for solid discs as well? Mine is the old school disc.
Old 1st August 2013, 18:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
On the contrary, do you think it would work for solid discs as well? Mine is the old school disc.
Yes, there is no reason why it wouldn't work with any type of disc. All it needs is a hydraulic brake system.
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 20:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your question on which wheel should have ABS is very much valid. And the best answer for that is given by abhinav.s. A rear wheel skid is much more controllable by an average rider. But front wheel skids are not.
Thanks.
Question about which wheel was a comment on rider training/ education/ standards rather than technical.

Intrigued as to how cost is lowered. Only difference should be one control valve (and associated driver electronics), maybe a slightly lower capacity pump, and maybe slightly less powerful computational electronics. It will even need two sensor rings.

Long time back had started a thread on how ABS for two wheels were different from that of normal cars. That thread never went anywhere. Maybe you can add to it, or start a new thread. And then maybe one on ABS for AWD/ 4X4 vehicles.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Intrigued as to how cost is lowered. Only difference should be one control valve (and associated driver electronics), maybe a slightly lower capacity pump, and maybe slightly less powerful computational electronics. It will even need two sensor rings.
Cost is lowered because number of valves is halved, motor and pump sizes are reduced, ECU is smaller / needs lower processing power, software is much simpler, and it has only one wheel speed sensor and encoder (nothing on the rear wheel), and some control functions which are optional on the 2 channel ABS are not available on the 1 channel.

Cost does not depend only on what we get to see as the end-customer (hardware, software and functions). It depends a lot on the man-hours which go into the base development and application, and also, the amount of customer-specific tuning and vehicle testing requirements.

Last edited by Viju : 2nd August 2013 at 15:49.
Old 2nd August 2013, 20:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cost does not depend only on what we get to see as the end-customer (hardware, software and functions). It depends a lot on the man-hours which go into the base development and application, and also, the amount of customer-specific tuning and vehicle testing requirements.
One of the reason why I don't see much of a cost reduction.

Quote:
and it has only one wheel speed sensor and encoder (nothing on the rear wheel),
Now this really intrigues me. Any details you can share? Or links to white papers etc.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the reason why I don't see much of a cost reduction.

Now this really intrigues me. Any details you can share? Or links to white papers etc.

Regards
Sutripta
Development efforts / time are at least halved is all I can say on an open forum.

I don't have any links to white papers. But basic idea is to control the deceleration and stability using the front brake only (of course of no use if the rider does not touch the front brake).

It has its disadvantages, but adds a lot of value (in terms of safety) to a small, inexpensive (relative term) two wheeler with a disc at the front and drum at the rear. It helps a rider with average or less-than-average skill to stop safely if he does a panic braking with the front brake (basic requirement for good deceleration).
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Development efforts / time are at least halved is all I can say on an open forum.
That is also very surprising.

Together with the single speed sensor, it points to a radical rethink somewhere. Would like to know where.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:38   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

More updates from Continental:

Quote:
Motorcycle ABS is now Smaller, Lighter and more Affordable

The two-channel ABS MK 100 MAB is showcased for the first time at the EICMA.

With the MK 100 MAB, Continental has developed a new anti-lock brake system (ABS) for motorcycles that is approximately 50% smaller and lighter and thus lower in price than previous systems. This new two-channel ABS will be presented for the first time from November 7th to 11th at the EICMA motorcycle show in Milan. The MK 100 MAB is suitable for all motorcycle types and will initially go into series production in Europe in 2015.

This enhanced system is not only approximately 50% smaller and lighter than the two-channel ABS currently on the market – moreover, the MK 100 MAB can be more easily adapted to different motorcycle types. The standard design of the new system includes not only the ABS function, but also a rear wheel lift-off protection system (RLP). Depending on individual customer requirements, a sport ABS function adapted for race track operation, an off-road ABS for off-road driving, and a traction control system for compensating for traction loss during acceleration are also possible.

Continental concentrates motorcycle business in own organizational unit

In mid-2013, business devoted to electronic brake systems for motorcycles was concentrated in its own organizational unit within the Vehicle Dynamics (VED) Business Unit of the Chassis & Safety Division.

ABS systems are to be mandatory in Europe for all motorcycles over 125 cc. This regulation will be effective as of 2016 for newly developed model series, and for all new motorcycles from 2017 onwards.

The one-channel ABS is suitable for smaller motorcycles and scooters and was specially developed for more cost-sensitive markets, such as Asia. It prevents the front wheel from locking during braking, thereby reducing the accident risk for the driver.

The two-channel ABS from Continental has already been in production since 2008; the MK 100 MAB will also be ready for serial production starting in 2015.

The Motorcycle Integral Brake system (MIB) allows the brake to be applied to both wheels even if the driver only activates the front brake lever. The system detects the braking intention and actively builds pressure on the other brake circuit, causing both wheels to decelerate.
Continental to introduce low-cost, One Channel ABS in India-img_2013_10_22_mk100_mab1_endata.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks