Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does your partner belt up / wear a helmet willingly?
Yes 52 62.65%
No 17 20.48%
Sometimes 14 16.87%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:51   #16
BHPian

re: Don't they love their partners? Pillion rider's safety?

I for one time will only blame the advertisements we see on TV for these bikes. The manufacturers themselves are sending out pretty wrong messages that the person buying their bike will be able to squeeze through traffic, between 2 cars and get to their destination early. Look at these adverts and most of them show the riders criss crossing lanes at will, zig - zagging between stopped cars in a traffic jam.

So, the junta simply follows what they see on TV.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:35   #17
BHPian

Re: Don't they love their partners? Pillion rider's safety?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

This is an unfortunate problem in our country. I remember when I got my scooter in college; I was the only one in the campus wearing a helmet properly fastened and was the laughing stock in the college. But I always silently argued, that brain dead is better than being stylish .

Coming to the car, the wifey wears her seatbelt, and I make sure she does or the car does not move. Once, to demonstrate the effects of an accident, I braked full on at 10-20 kmph. Since then there have been no debates on the merits/demerits of wearing a seatbelt. Perhaps others can try the same at lower speeds (with prior warning, otherwise, no food at home)

Cheers!
amarpreet99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:05   #18
Senior - BHPian

We were coming back from a road trip last weekend and witnessed a motorbike accident in which both the guys had lost their lives. This was while crossing a city and it looked like they were crossing the road and somebody must've hit them. With no other vehicle around it sure looked like a hit-n-run case.

None of the guys were wearing helmet and one look at them and anybody could make out why the accident was fatal. There were only 2-3 people around and by the time I stopped other folks had started gathering. Two guys in their car decided to take these riders to the hospital and looking at their condition I just said that these guys should have been wearing helmets.

To my surprise, two guys told me that helmet wasn't required as they were simply crossing the road to get to the other side of the city and the driver of the car/truck should have been more careful. I told them that a helmet could have prevented the accident from being a fatal one but by this time the crowd started frowning at me & telling me that car drivers have no sense of driving etc. and I decided it was better to leave the place.

Its not a matter of people not loving their loved ones. Its about their mental attitude. Even when it is obvious that helmet could save somebody's life, people just wouldn't accept it.

And its not just illiterate people, I've seen people from all sorts of background looking down upon me when I put on a seatbelt in a tier-2/tier-3 city. We all know cops are lenient there and I'm always told that I don't need a seatbelt or helmet when driving/riding in the city. In fact I've even heard nasty remarks such as helmet/seatbelt is for wusses (for the lack of better word).

Not to mention, the first time I put on a seatbelt in the 3rd row of my office cab (innova), the look I got was as if I was not man enough to handle that drive without a seatbelt. Now the fellow passengers are used to me being a wuss as I belt up everytime but whenever there's a new passenger or I change cabs, I know what I'm getting into. Its all taken for granted until something happens.
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:47   #19
Team-BHP Support

Forget partner, I even get my parents to belt up while driving. While riding me and my partner always wore the helmet and jacket even inside city limits.
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:53   #20
BHPian

Belting up for the driver is religion.

For the co-passenger, if he/she doesn't belt up, I simply refuse to drive!

It helps that my car beeps like crazy if either of the driver or co-passenger hasn't belted up.
manu220194 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 01:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
The first weekend after I got married, me and my wife went to JC road and against all her wishes, we bought her a helmet.

After a certain point in time, I have started realizing, no one can tell you the value of your life. Its your life, you decide how safe you want it to be.

Regards,
Something similar used to happen between me and my better half whenever we used to take the car out (the silent treatment part - my wife goes straight to that, no wasting breath in arguing and all), but I did find a way around it eventually. I always make it a point to click in before I release the handbrake and set off, but my wife, especially for trips within the town gives her usual excuses of wrinkled dresses and go-slowly-and-nothing-will-happen advice. But my wife is paranoid about MY health more than hers. Sweet, I know. She insists that I ALWAYS wear my seat belt, even if I’m backing the car out of the driveway. So, one fine day, I told her, I value her life as much as she does mine, and I won’t belt up anymore without her doing the same. If something is going to happen, let it happen to both of us (All the while I was praying hard she would not give me the silent treatment again). God must have seen my reasoning, more importantly, my wife did. After that day, I have never had to tell her again to wear the seat belt. Bonus part? She bugs my MIL to wear the seat belt too. All is well.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd May 2014 at 03:29. Reason: Please quote selectively as along quote post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 08:02   #22
D4D
BHPian

Well, one important observation I have made is the number of two-wheeler riders really securing their helmet straps. Almost everybody doesn't. Suppose you're hit and you slide on the ground, the helmet can just pop-off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post

A couple on a bike, the guy riding like a maniac wheeling in and out of traffic with the girl hanging on to him for dear life.

We all know that the pillion rider is at a greater risk in bike accidents. Anybody who rides a bike hopefully knows that too. And if you are safety-conscious enough to be wearing a helmet yourself, why can't you get one for your partner?
Well it's not only about couples. I have not seen two people on a bike wear a helmet, never in India. In Thailand, there are these mopeds used a taxis and when you travel in them, the first thing they insist is on a helmet.

No doubt, pillion riders are as much at an injury risk as the rider. But I guess it comes down to the law. Do the law makers think that in an accident, the pillion will just be safe by some witchcraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

This may be not upto the forum's taste, and mods may please delete this post if it sounds too gory, but this was my brother's version.
Let people read it. They need awareness. Such incidents will make bikers think twice before not wearing a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

10)They do not follow Team bhp neither do they go through the thread 'Accident pics of India'!.
Agreed with that. Although I have not seen all posts in that thread, there are not really many bike accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
I have a solution to suggest. Make it compulsory and mandatory for anybody seeking a driving license to spend one day in the intensive care unit of a major trauma hospital observing what happens. I am willing to bet that nobody will ride without a helmet after that.
Yes, that maybe a good Idea. Hopefully, it makes them think twice before not wearing a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post

In either case what follows is a long string of curses and a big silent treatment. So I stopped.

I think the thought that goes in her mind is
a. Accidents cant happen to us because every time we start from home I say a silent prayer.
b. If we drive slow we will not meet with accident.

After a certain point in time, I have started realizing, no one can tell you the value of your life. Its your life, you decide how safe you want it to be.
Keep trying to convince her. Make her more aware and use TBHP to show her some horrifying pics.
Old 23rd May 2014, 08:24   #23
BHPian

I always have a long argument with my Dad about wearing seat belt. He for some reason doesn't want to wear at all.

He keeps telling me that he has been driving for 30+ years in cars which din't even have seat belt and nothing happened yet. Its an impossible argument to win. So I have restricted him to back seat now no matter how many people are travelling in car. I don't mind being seen as a driver in the front

Wifey wears seat belt always and it was also easy to educate my Son about seat belt.

Friends, some time have to give them a long lecture and irritate a bit to make them wear the seat belt

Some how I find parents & in-laws think that I am harassing them when they are in my Car with the seat belt issue.

Regards
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
I always have a long argument with my Dad about wearing seat belt. He for some reason doesn't want to wear at all.

He keeps telling me that he has been driving for 30+ years in cars which din't even have seat belt and nothing happened yet.

Wifey wears seat belt always and it was also easy to educate my Son about seat belt.

Friends, some time have to give them a long lecture and irritate a bit to make them wear the seat belt

Some how I find parents & in-laws think that I am harassing them when they are in my Car with the seat belt issue.
100% agree with you, Sir should realize that 30 years back there were not so many hazards on the road neither the average speed of the cars would be more than 30-40 kmph. The traffic used to be much more civilized that time. However, over the years the scenario has changed and today it is more of a necessity than a choice.

Try to make sir read our forum on safe driving rules and importance of seat belts. I am sure his views will change for the better.

Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

I always have my heart in my mouth when I see these guys, usually on a HH Splendor, zigzagging on the road, even when there is enough space for him to ride straight ! I have seen this happen quite often in Chennai on the OMR road, where one needs to be extra attentive as there as buses, share auto's, etc stopping randomly to pick / drop people and plenty of people trying to jump over the divider and cross the road.

These guys, quite often 3 on a bike (no one with a helmet) weave through this traffic, missing vehicles by inches and then brake to save their lives when they see an obstruction. I wonder what goes on in their heads !!
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:28   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
These guys, quite often 3 on a bike (no one with a helmet) weave through this traffic, missing vehicles by inches and then brake to save their lives when they see an obstruction. I wonder what goes on in their heads !!
As they say 'fools rush in where angels fear!' They have no idea that if the brakes malfunction or fail while pulling such stunts, they will be history in no time. Good riders/drivers discount such possibilities in the back of their heads and accordingly keep a room for accommodating such incidents which may be difference between life & death.
But the worst thing in road traffic is that many times one has to bear the brunt of others mistake too, and that is sad.
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
These guys, quite often 3 on a bike (no one with a helmet) weave through this traffic, missing vehicles by inches and then brake to save their lives when they see an obstruction.
Exactly !

Forget their partners. Do they love themselves ? Do they value their life?

I don't think so. No.

These Kamikazes:
  • Overtake on the wrong side (often wearing no helmet). They think it is their divine right to do so.
  • Zig-zag between four-wheelers without even judging what speed they are in or will they able to control their vehicles in case of a sudden intrusion into their lanes.

The list is endless.

You are right. They brake suddenly when they see an obstruction and immediately change lanes without indicating, directly into our path.

Quote:
I wonder what goes on in their heads !!
If they had anything in their heads.
Old 23rd May 2014, 15:37   #28
BHPian

Motorcyclists and rash driving go hand in hand in Delhi atleast. Blame the adverts or the readily available video games, but in my opinion it is more to do with the attention seeking syndrome that everyone seems to be on a high these days.
All you need to do is spend half a day outside any boys/co-ed college and you can see these 17-18 year old kids whizzing past and breaking every traffic rule possible.

As someone aptly said "Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it."
This is exactly where half of them fail. Plus this exposes them to road rage which in turn is the sole reason for all the manic frenzy we see on our Indian roads.

Drive safe, wear a helmet. Riding a motorcycle on today's highways, you have to ride in a very defensive manner. You have to be a good rider and you have to have both hands and both feet on the controls at all times.
Life is not a video game.
Old 23rd May 2014, 18:39   #29
BHPian

According to what i have observed over the years, pillion riding in considered very safe and if someone is wearing helmet riding pillion he is looked upon with contempt.
Such is the state of awareness in our country.
More than anyone else, families of four who ride the bike are in grave danger and cops have to make sure they are not allowed to do so. I havent seen any cop stoping a family of four riding a bike like he stops three guys travel
Old 23rd May 2014, 21:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
This is my first thread and I guess it is only fitting that it be on safety.
The guy is wearing a helmet and the girl, a dupatta wrapped around her head and face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
I would sincerely advocate your idea of pillion rider wearing a helmet but the girls/ ladies oppose it on the pretext of their hairstyle damage.
Folks, To validate the concern raised by the opening post and to validate my point I am giving you certain live pictures that I took in Mumbai yesterday. It becomes a hopeless situation when such foolish riders come on to the road. I have seen that the entire way from Vile Parle to Gohdbundar is dug up at several places specially the Oberoi Mall flyover. Even knowing all this the 2 wheel riders don't care about the safety of their pillion rider.

Don't they love their partners? Pillion rider's safety?-photo1156_001.jpg

Don't they love their partners? Pillion rider's safety?-photo1157_001.jpg

Don't they love their partners? Pillion rider's safety?-photo1158.jpg

Don't they love their partners? Pillion rider's safety?-photo1160_001.jpg

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks