Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 23:55   #16
BHPian

Re: How to dispose off an old helmet?

Brilliant post selfdrive.
If I was you I would look for a two wheeler driving school and donate the helmet there for the use of trainees who come to learn two wheeler riding. Of course finding two wheeler driving school may be little difficult, but nonetheless it will be put to use. Apart from this idea, you can also donate your helmet to a bike showroom wherein you had regularly serviced your bike and the stuff will be used by folks who come for test rides of bikes. You can also think of handing over your old helmet to any young lad working at a bike service station.
My two cents please.
MDED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 22:33   #17
BHPian

Really good question. And nice answers. I like the suggestion about displaying it as a cutaway section in schools and maybe driving schools, also, the suggestion such as handing it over to the cop for hand-me-down doesn't seem like a bad idea. My suggestion would be To seal the base with plywood, cut away the top part of the shell, put a small bulb inside and Voila, you have a corner lamp.
Doc_nikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 20:01   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Any tips on how to dispose of used helmets? The helmet I want to get rid of has fallen thrice (once with my head in it). I am sure it should not be used again. If I keep it for garbage collection, I am sure some bright spark will pick it up for using it.

Mods, I found this helmet thread relevant for this question, but please move/ delete post as required
Normally a Helmet subjected to falls is not really safe for further use.

It could be re-purposed. Wear it in the kitchen with the visor down while cutting onions.....

The table lamp Idea ( Someone posted pics in this thread) is also a neat one.

Take a Pic of you and one of helmet. Make a poster with a slogan..."Knocked thrice, Still good! Thanks to my Helmet!!"
Hey It's a testimonial!

T-BHP members are invited to add nore ideas, The whackier the better
Old 29th December 2016, 12:45   #19
BHPian

1. If it is still usable donate it.
2. If not usable for safety reasons, be creative paint it or do something and make a unique table lamp, I really liked that idea.
3. If not usable for any of the above purposes, it will make a very unique hanging flower pot!

Or any other genius idea you guys have, bring it on.

Last edited by zulfi hansi : 29th December 2016 at 12:49. Reason: incomplete post
Old 4th January 2017, 18:45   #20

Winter is going to remain on for around 2 more months. Can be given to any homeless person sleeping on streets to be used as a winter protection gear. Also no fear of the unstable helmet being used for riding.
Old 25th May 2017, 10:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

A fellow bhpian knew someone who wasn't using a helmet. He took the helmet, refurbished it and started using it. My friend told me later that the guy has now bought a new helmet of his own and passed my old helmet to some other reluctant chap.

Well, if we can pass on the helmet virus, why not?
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks