Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2018, 19:44   #16
BANNED

Re: Bikes being thrashed by the locals

Even at the speed limit you can't stop for a jaywalking pedestrian at the last moment. Let that sink in before you comment.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 19:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
One ironclad rule around the world .. guess who has right of way even if they are coming from the wrong side etc? You got it, the pedestrian.

Regardless of what the pedestrian does, if you hit them you will be booked. If you kill them on hitting them you will be booked for culpable homicide (one step less than murder in the IPC).
Well Said, how many know about "Pedestrian first". Time to have a questionnaire about basic road manners before granting a forum membership. I am seeing posts justifying severe safety violations and negligent driving, a few months back some members were justifying the reasons for violating permits issued to Sleeper coach buses.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th January 2018 at 20:00.
deehunk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 19:55   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Just because he/she hit someone doesn't mean they are rash drivers. More often than not in our country it's the pedestrian who's at equal or at more fault than the rider/driver.
I may sound harsh but I feel more sorry for the rider who tasted the mob beatings rather than the girl who lost her life. For all we know it could be completely her fault for crossing the road without being careful.

Insensitive and inappropriate words.

An 11 year old kid's life has been lost and who was a pedestrian by a person who was on a high powered motorbike. She's dead.

And you feel more sorry for the rider !!! Really ?

Last edited by lazy : 7th January 2018 at 19:56.
lazy is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 19:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even at the speed limit you can't stop for a jaywalking pedestrian at the last moment. Let that sink in before you comment.
The news also says it was a junction. The video shows a pedestrian crossing. I am sure if you were at the speed limit specially at the junction or a pedestrian crossing you can avoid/perform an avoidance maneuver or in many cases try to stop. Let that also sink before we assume.

A kids life is lost. If it was my Kid, i do not think my reaction would be too different but to see the guy responsible for that loss to pay an equal price till i realize and recover my sanity. But i am allowed to hit a zone of insanity and i think it is only fair to be a human/animal for that moment.

Not justifying what happened here but pointing fingers on either side will have supporters for either side.
VW2010 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I tried following the prescribed speed limit strictly for one of my journey. Let me tell you could avoid jaywalking pedestrian near junctions, schools etc because the speed limit there is 30 Kmph.
ecenandu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
What do you think sir, was the speed limit on that highway? What about the speed limits on roads connecting to Nandi Hills and other interior areas from where most of the bikers generally come from?

On the highway, as you near the Nandi cross, or any other cross for that matter, speed limit for a bike is always 50-60kmph (ORR also). Even if higher, it definitely cannot be more than 100kmph.

Now, those roads are huge 6-lane highways. No one can actually just "pop-up" in the middle. They have to walk across the service road, get on the shoulders and cross the three lanes in which you are driving.

And if you fail to notice, or even notice anyone come walking on the highway and are doing speeds well within the limits mentioned but cannot stop or avoid the crash, you just don't deserve driving the bike/car!

Yes, it is a different matter with regards to dogs as they just run across and you have no other options. Not so with humans!
abhi7013 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My dear chap, the pedestrian in question was a small child. You can't lay blame on them at all. And please don't blame the now grief stricken parents.

One ironclad rule around the world .. guess who has right of way even if they are coming from the wrong side etc? You got it, the pedestrian.

Regardless of what the pedestrian does, if you hit them you will be booked. If you kill them on hitting them you will be booked for culpable homicide (one step less than murder in the IPC).

I wonder where is this coming from; I am not too sure as to what kind of road this was.
In majority of the developed countries across the globe, pedestrians are expected to use the designated walkways and crossings.

Pedestrians have the right of way, but only at designated crossings; any deviation from them is called Jaywalking, and as a Jaywalker you cannot fight for your rights, if you get knocked down by someone who was just driving/riding past, following the rules.

Going by your rules, a pedestrian can pop up in the middle of a highway, get knocked down and then fight for his/her rights(if he/she survives) against the driver.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 7th January 2018 at 20:22.
akshay4587 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:19   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Caution - As you ride towards Bangalore from chikkballapur, the junction before Nandi upachar, called bullali cross a KTM rider hit and killed a child.
Saw a KTM bike speeding and swishing about as usual about half hour ago in the Sarjapur road stretch towards Total Mall.. as I'm an expert in that route and was maintaining decent speeds myself I saw that he was heading right towards a speed-breaker and felt that he won't make it.. he didn't and he awkwardly jumped over it, lost balance and fell. At those speeds anyone can make an error of judgement as the eyes and hands simply cannot keep up with the inputs, so I'm not blaming the bike here as I know its only a rider error.

However, what compels all these so called riders to ride bikes which they cannot handle is what I can't understand. If they want to test their reflexes its easy to ride down to some track academy and unleash its limits there.. why be so brazen and stupid as to break the law and injure someone else in the process? KTM has a huge fan-following for all the wrong reasons, and were it a Ferrari or Lamborghini in its place, those too would be criticized because they simply aren't made for tearing the tarmac in Indian roads.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:21   #24
BHPian

re: Bangalore: Bikers being thrashed by locals after an accident

Really regret the loss of an innocent life here and also the mob justice which followed. There are multiple parties to blame for such incidents (not this incident) in the below order.

1) Speeding drivers and riders. High time we realize most of Indian roads are not designed for high speed driving or riding and practice defensive driving at all times. I’m guilty myself on many occasions and seeing such incidents make me sweat.
2) Poor highway design. No one else nowadays builds a 4-lane 80-100kph non-access restricted highway going through a village or small town other than India. As said in #1, those speed limits are also not enforced or respected and almost everyone with a vehicle which can speed, speeds.
3) Pedestrians and local folks who still expect to use highways as local main street like it was 20 years back. High time NHAI strictly control commercial establishments from being setup on highways without service or access roads.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

I once did a Sunday morning ride on a famous road for super bikes from Bangalore heading to Kolar and stopped on the side of the road for a while. The speeds these guys do are really high and definitely not meant for a highway which is crowded.
I am not sure if the local reaction would have been the same if it was a truck in place of the bike. Like someone mentioned earlier, the locals would have been noticing this for a while and this was the trigger. I am surprised they didn’t burn the bikes.
At the end, with powerful bikes and cars being more affordable to the general public, it’s up to the rider and driver to know where and when to speed.
tharian is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Terrible news whichever way you look at it. Really sad turn of events.

I don't know the specifics about who was right/wrong. With experience, I have come to realize, the speed limits are there for a reason. Go even slower if you feel you are still going fast. I always quickly glance the speedo once to make sure I am below 40 coz it takes time for your body/mind to slow down from triple digits.

With high powered cars/bikes, attaining cruising speeds is a matter of seconds. So better slow down near villages/town/high density areas, and get back up to speed once you are out of there.

We are still light years behind when it comes to road safety. Expecting other people to behave rationally is ok, but one needs to be prepared in case they don't.
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_GT View Post
Just because he/she hit someone doesn't mean they are rash drivers. More often than not in our country it's the pedestrian who's at equal or at more fault than the rider/driver.
I may sound harsh but I feel more sorry for the rider who tasted the mob beatings rather than the girl who lost her life. For all we know it could be completely her fault for crossing the road without being careful.
The moment one exceed the speed limit, he/she will be on the wrong side of the law. Unfortunately all most all of these superbikes are driven much above the speed limit. Message has to go, that while Law(Police) may not catch and punish, there would be times mob will teach the lesson.

Sir, in this case it was child, certainly she didn't appear from nowhere and bike rider should have seen and predicated the worst. Sorry I don't agree with you to absolve the rider and blame the innocent girl.
manjubp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
However, what compels all these so-called riders? KTM has a huge fan-following for all the wrong reasons and were it a Ferrari or Lamborghini in its place, those two would be criticized because they simply aren't made for tearing the tarmac in Indian roads.
I can use some appropriate words in Kannada to tell what compels them, it is access to everything at the click of a button. The ideal punishment would be to make him suffer for life without money. I also wish to say to few members here that words like Jaywalking, using zebra cross for road-crossing look beautiful where it can be enforced. There is no urgency in this world to kill a person and make way for your vehicle. Was the driver was under the influence of alcohol? This will be my next question.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th January 2018 at 20:44.
deehunk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Violence against bikers on NH7! KTM rider hits child, all riders attacked by mob

Video from the article

No gore, but violence so discretion advised.

A violent situation erupted today in a village called Chikkaballapur near Nandi Upachar. Apparently, a KTM RC390 rider hit a child who was killed. Most likely the child was crossing the road without looking. They tied the rider and beat him up all this while stopping anyone on a high-end bike with riding gear, beat them up and vandalised their bikes. I see some really expensive (>20 lakh) bikes being vandalised in the video, and them beating up the owners.

This hits too close to home because I had a similar incident near Nippani while en route to the first-ever IBW. Me and a friend of mine were almost murdered by an angry mob of villagers. And all this because we told a bugger off while dealing with the driver of a track who ran my friend off the road and almost killed him. All our things were looted and we barely escaped with our lives.

It seems the situation is just getting worse over the years and rural India is still very much a lawless land no matter north or south.

Read full story here - https://www.cartoq.com/violence-agai...-by-mob-video/

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2018 at 08:41. Reason: Removing extra bracket
quickdraw is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 20:52   #30
BHPian

High powered bikes are a bigger menace than cars. So many of them speed across public roads. The casualty and the aftermath are unfortunate, but it is high time the Government makes speed limits compulsory on bikes just like it did on CVs. On an Indian highway, there is no stretch that is safe at more than 100 kph even for the car with the best brakes, so no point allowing bikes to cross that.
Nissan1180 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks