Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2018, 08:04   #1
BHPian

Proposal to install speed governors on all two-wheelers

Rather than depend on interceptors, cameras and police to enforce speed limits, SITCO has proposed to limit the speed of all categories of two-wheelers to 80kmph by installing speed governors during manufacturing itself.

A step in the right direction ? but what could also be a real dampener for enthusiasts. How far this will get enforced/implemented is still highly debatable.

Excerpt from the article:
SITCO passed a resolution on fixing speed governors to non-transport vehicles including two-wheelers. A department official said accident rates suggest two-wheeler riders are more prone to accidents and there is a need to limit the speed to 80 kmph for all categories of two-wheelers.

Transport Minister H.M. Revanna said a proposal will be forwarded to the Union government. “We will ask the the Centre to amend the Motor Vehicles Act or direct manufacturers to produce two-wheelers to limit the speed,” he said.

See article:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le23013463.ece

(It is in the second para of the above news article)

Last edited by haria : 10th March 2018 at 08:10.
haria is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 09:02   #2
BHPian

Most accidents in India are outcomes of poor driving descipline, badly designed/maintained roads and lack of stricter law and/or its enforcement. This is a country where mopeds share same space with some of high spec engine passenger cars (usually in same lane) in a highway. If speed governor is going to make roads safe like banning sunfilms brought end to all sort of crimes in land , am all for it.
Pity us.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 10th March 2018 at 09:03.
Thilak29 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 09:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Proposal to install speed governors on all two-wheelers

How easy would it be to remove these speed governors is anyone's guess. Let them do with whatever they wish to.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 09:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Most accidents in India are outcomes of poor driving descipline, badly designed/maintained roads and lack of stricter law and/or its enforcement. This is a country where mopeds share same space with some of high spec engine passenger cars (usually in same lane) in a highway. If speed governor is going to make roads safe like banning sunfilms brought end to all sort of crimes in land , am all for it.
Pity us.
Totally agreed to this post. It seems as if the upper bodies of our country has a new fascination towards speed governors. Speed governors always felt like a shortcut. The government, instead of making better roads, enforcing more strict laws and better traffic environments took the short cut and placed a device that doesn't let anyone go fast. All things short and snappy. Shame.

Last edited by Tanveer02 : 10th March 2018 at 10:00.
Tanveer02 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 09:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

For everyone's benefit, SITCO is South India Transport Council.

Horribly regressive, and I doubt this will see light of day. Car manufacturers, especially premium/luxury manufacturers will lobby hard against such a proposal. As much as I am all for disciplined driving within the laws and regulations, such a move doesn't bode well.

What is with such idiots across the country constantly working to fix the symptom than fix the problem. Make the infrastructure safe, make policing so robust, and fair, that one would think twice driving above the speed limit. The problem is broken infrastructure, lack of education, lack of policing (and lack of fear of breaking the law), lack of discipline (cattle, tractors, trucks haywire all over the highways), NOT vehicles capable of going above 100 kmph.
libranof1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 10:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
For everyone's benefit, SITCO is South India Transport Council.

Horribly regressive, and I doubt this will see light of day. .
I beg to differ. This being regional does not make it less effective, south states mark considerable share in sales , road density and market penetration. So labelling it as isolated local body will be naive, we have plenty of such local blunders to recall, yellow headlamp stripe in GJ, HSRP in NCR region, local lingo number plates in MH , KA and TN ( am told it's legislative backed in case of last two states) , helmet chaos in KA so on. These guys are rule makers often privy to lobbying by companies which make/import these products (Helmets, Number plates or Speed governers in this case).
Thilak29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 10:18   #7
BHPian

Ingenious ! What a progressive step in the right direction . It would have been better,had they proposed to keep the speed limit to 40 Km/hr so that the safety will increase by 200 % or other wise they could have proposed to ban two-wheelers on all public roads as well. Governance is all about setting rules, regulations, norms and standards aimed at the long time welfare of an organised society. So when speed is being governed,we got to comply .
BLACKBLADE is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 10:44   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I beg to differ. This being regional does not make it less effective, south states mark considerable share in sales , road density and market penetration. So labelling it as isolated local body will be naive, we have plenty of such local blunders to recall, yellow headlamp stripe in GJ, HSRP in NCR region, local lingo number plates in MH , KA and TN ( am told it's legislative backed in case of last two states) , helmet chaos in KA so on. These guys are rule makers often privy to lobbying by companies which make/import these products (Helmets, Number plates or Speed governers in this case).
When I said it won't see light of day, I meant for a pan-India implementation. If you look at each of your examples, they have only seen local implementation, not across the country.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 11:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
.. or other wise they could have proposed to ban two-wheelers on all public roads as well. .
You will be surprised to know that this is actually proposed and lobbied hard by BTP (Bangalore Traffic Police) to ban all two wheelers on the BETL (Bangalore Elevated Tollway). The reason ? Speed limit of 80Kmh poses hazard to two wheelers and there are instances of some car/bigger vehicle hitting a two wheeler and the driver being thrown to their deaths from the elevated road.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le19919520.ece

If you ask me, a speed limit of 80 is insane in that narrow highway. Should be max 50. This reduction in speed will hardly matter as the extra time taken for the commute will not be more than 5 minutes or so, even with the reduced limit. Sad thing is I have seen many cars being test driven in that road, going at speeds way high

Last edited by haria : 10th March 2018 at 11:09.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Reading original news article & associated context, makes me feel that this would be region specific & not pan-India.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Instead of providing better roads, implementing strict laws & spreading awareness, SITCO (Some Regional Transport council) proposing speed limits of 80Kmph on all the two-wheelers by manufactures. This is actually a ridiculous proposal.

As Thilak29 rightly pointed out. Crime rate decreased after the sunfilms ban?... No! Road accidents decreased in Gujarat after yellow sticker rule?... No! It's true that two-wheeler riders are more prone to accidents. Does it mean that all the accidents happen due to over speeding? Keep riding gears aside, authorities are not even able to enforce the compulsory helmet rule and now some council proposing a ridiculous shortcut.

Banning something is never a solution for any issue.

Last edited by SJM1214 : 10th March 2018 at 12:06. Reason: Minor Change.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 12:21   #12
BHPian

Very convenient. Instead of making better roads, infrastructure etc, why not just put some speed cap and be done with it? Brilliant!!
Col Mehta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 13:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Rather than depend on interceptors, cameras and police to enforce speed limits, SITCO has proposed to limit the speed of all categories of two-wheelers to 80kmph by installing speed governors during manufacturing itself.*SNIP*
Huh????? This thing again? Didn't we just have a thread on the same thing, but installed in taxis? And we will have the exact same counterpoints here that we had there.

Politicians have their heads deep up where the sun don't shine!

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 14:33   #14
BHPian

I'm not surprised by such knee jerk reactions anymore, it only confirms my belief that our lawmakers are nothing but regressive narrow minded numb heads.
Instead of tackling the situation by correcting the the culprits they simply ban everyone which in their opinion is a lot more easier way to handle a problem.
The sunfilm ban being such a horrendous decision which made day time traveling a nightmare in bumper to bumper traffic, not to forget the lack of privacy caused by transperant glass windows.

I sincerely hope that such regressive laws never see the light of the day!
Skyline_GT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 14:46   #15
BHPian

Agree with all of the above comments. And while we are at it, may I suggest a safe, green alternative - only bullock carts and horses! And we already have a forum for it team-b(ullock cart)h(orse)p(ower).

I also propose a ban on people with IQ below 140 being allowed into government service. (or should it be the other way around?)

I see how rashly some of the 4-wheelers are driven on the BETL. Banning 2-wheelers on BETL is victimizing the 2-wheelers again. Most of the 2-wheelers are already disadvantaged by a lower speed limit and lower power. All of the riders are fearful of rash drivers and keep to the extreme left. The BTP, instead of nabbing the rash drivers - a simple job with a few cameras placed along the BETL, came up with a really convoluted idea to free themselves from the guilt of not doing their job.

The same goes for this 'speed governor' idea. Why only 2-wheelers? Does it mean that the 2-wheeler will be more stable at a lower speed and the faster 4-wheeler will hit it at a 'safe' relative speed of 'just' 40KMPH? Wouldn't it be better to give two wheelers their own separate road, after all, with the number of two-wheelers on the road, they do pay quite a bit for the roads too.

There was a suggestion that this idea was from a vested interest group that would profit from the sale of the speed governors. I agree. There could be other reasons too - none of them related to 'safety', I'm sure.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks