Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2020, 09:59   #16
BHPian

Re: Maharashtra: 2-wheelers to be sold with two helmets

In fact, the requirement of providing 2 helmets while buying a motorcycle is mandated by CMVR rules for more than 10 years. This is not a new rule that is added recently.
Just that the manufacturers/dealers were not following it.
The manufacturers can include the cost helmet in the cost of the vehicle and provide them as mandatory and free ( just like saree guard etc).

If there were accounting the cost but not providing the helmets, then they were shamming us.

If there were not accounting the cost, they can't increase the price when they provide free helmets.
Old 13th March 2020, 10:58   #17
BHPian

I am always in support of the rules which helps in safety. Whether the rule will create inconvenience or not depends upon how one looks at them.
For example, when helmet was made compulsory, people had protested in whatever way possible. I started wearing helmets only after rule was implemented,and got saved once when I was hit by a SUV at a crossing.

As a matter of fact, compulsory implementation of rule goes a long way in promoting safety then just awareness campaign advertisements on newspapers, TV, etc. Because people will always opt for other options when given a choice.

How many were aware about importance of ABS and airbags? Most of were even not aware about importance of such features unless we experienced it first hand. When government made it compulsory, we had no other choice but to buy vehicles with such features. I am sure all of us are extremely happy driving the vehicle with the added safety features. And we as a buyer will never again go back to vehicles which lack such features.

Just to conclude--In most of the cases of a bike accident, it is the pillion rider who is affected maximum. They are either injured severely or may lose life altogether. It is because the pillion rider doesn't anticipate an accident like a driver (who is able to manoeuvre himself out). Also, pillion rider have nothing to hold on to when bike skids uncontrollably. All physics are against the pillion rider in case of eventualities. Carrying an helmet for our pillion rider is one way of preventing them from unforseen mishaps.
Bike or scooter manufacturers can always provide a 3 point small hook (from either side and the grab rail) with locking system to keep helmet well secured on the seats so that it doesn't fowl with the tail lamp, tyres or the driver.
DrCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 11:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
100% of the cost will be passed to the consumer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Unfortunately, that is not going to be the case in India. We will pay for it.
Agreed, it is very likely that the cost will get passed to the customer. End result might be paying for a substandard product that you don't desire to own and use.
Old 13th March 2020, 11:56   #19
BHPian

I think this is a good initiative provided selling companies can give good quality helmets.
In my recent two purchases, one is Yamaha Ray for my wife and Thunderbird 350X for me, I felt that the provided helmets from the company were of low quality even though ISI stickers are present. So I purchased helmets to my liking again.
Old 13th March 2020, 13:40   #20
BHPian

In reality, if you already have helmet(s), and sometimes even if you don't, the dealer will just give you an equivalent amount as discount in the consideration and get you to sign a form saying you've received & collected 2 helmets from him.

In any case, AFAIK the helmets supposed to be handed over are purchased by the dealer locally and not the bike manufacturer.
Old 13th March 2020, 21:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

That's the outcome of a PIL filed in the Nagpur Bench of the Bombay High Court. The petitioner had quoted sections from the Motor Vehicles Act and had prayed for implementation of the extant laws. The Respondents included the state authorities and the two wheeler dealers of Nagpur city. Earlier, none of the dealers had engaged any counsel or had filed any replies. When the Division Bench took strong cognisance of their absence, they filed replies, citing absurd points like "what if the pillion rider has his own personal helmet?" or "there could be a short supply in the market commensurate with the splurge in demand" and so on.

The court finally gave a directive to the Transport Commissioner through the Principal Secretary, Transport Department , Mumbai, to strictly implement the law. That's how it has come about and is being adhered to.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 13th March 2020 at 21:31.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 13:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Havent heard anything funnier than this.

Do the courts imply that lack of helmets causing people to not wear or is it they dont want to wear?

I am 1000% sure the dealers can get away by selling a fake isi marked 100rs helmet
Old 29th December 2021, 14:32   #23
BHPian

I recently purchased RE Classic 350. After much follow up I was provided with 1 helmet (Medium size) by dealer but not of the size which will fit me. On requesting Large size they say this is it what they have supplied by RE. When I called RE, they say since Helmet is complimentary, whatever size is available, customer has to accept. I find this completely idiotic.

What’s the use of Helmet if it doesn’t fits the rider?
I don’t know what else I can do now except feeling cheated? Dealer and RE both seem to be hand in glove in this case.

Shameful way the companies implement the law with no regard to end user safety.
FiatDiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 15:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatDiesel View Post
...When I called RE, they say since Helmet is complimentary, whatever size is available, customer has to accept. I find this completely idiotic.
If you're up to it, it might make sense to make some noise about this to your local RTO, on social media, etc. I assume that at its core, the aim of this rule is to ensure new riders have a good quality helmet to wear. If companies are providing garbage (a helmet that doesn't fit the rider is essentially useless) then that needs to be highlighted as they are honoring the letter of the law while killing its sprit.

This reminds me of a Swedish proverb - the operation was successful but the patient died.
JoeTheWanderer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 08:29   #25
BHPian

Hi
Is this rule still operational? Are we supposed get a helmet from the showroom along with the bike?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks