Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2021, 07:44   #1
BHPian

Enforcing helmets on family members

As an automotive enthusiast, I am constantly reminded of the importance of safety gear by the innumerous experiences recounted by fellow members of TeamBHP. We know that life threatening injuries are possible in road accidents and hence, we take adequate measures for safety.

Sadly, most people lack seriousness in this regard. They think that they need not wear helmets if they are just taking the scooter for short trips and moreover, they think that riding safely is enough to prevent accidents. People don't understand that they are putting their life at a huge risk by not wearing a helmet and give trivial reasons for not wearing one.

I have always had a tough time trying to make my family members buy and wear proper helmets. I constantly remind them of the importance, but I'm just ignored most of the times.

Fellow members must have experienced the same issues time and again. Share your experiences and help me make all people wear helmets!
aravindb_0711 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 12:29   #2
BHPian

re: Enforcing helmets on family members

There is no easy way to do it honestly. I think most of the concerns are usually around how expensive good gear can be, as well as how uncomfortable it can get.

In my case, I sit down and have a conversation around these two items in depth.

I try to explain how a trip to the hospital can be more expensive than good riding gear. And that is conditional on the human being alive, but I avoid bringing this part up just because it is perceived as macabre and non-conducive to a conversation where I'm trying to convince someone.

Secondly, I try to show examples of good (but usually cheaper than what I would want them to get) gear that has some features that aid rider comfort.

Lastly, I think social perception of how someone is a "show-off" if they wear riding gear also plays a negative role in our minds. I don't really know how to tackle this one, but maybe, showing some YouTube videos of big riding groups completely geared up might help.

Just my two cents
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 12:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

On most occasions we see the rider using a helmet, especially in Metropolitan cities. However as the MV Act, the pillion is also required to wear one, but we rarely see the Traffic police catch them. This applies to children also.

Last year the Transport department, Karanataka made it mandatory for kids above 4 years to wear helmets on two wheelers. This led to a surge in people buying helmets for kids.

Link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/78902403.cms

In India, we generally follow laws only when it is strictly implemented and not for our or family's safety.

It took me long time to get my family wear safety belts in the middle row on highways, but I was finally successful.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 3rd July 2021 at 12:40.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 12:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

No idea how to win the debate over using good quality products over cheap and fake ones which should be illegal in the first place. However for those who use no safety gear at all (example riding without helmets) do share with them awareness videos or direct them to the accident threads here on team bhp.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ot-em-767.html (Bad Drivers - How do you spot 'em)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ndia-2202.html

There are plenty of incidents in the above threads where situations have ended up badly for folks even when riding safely due to the fault of other motorists or sometimes even careless pedestrians. Share the links in your family WhatsApp groups. There are also numerous videos on YouTube of people sharing their experience who have been affected severely even in minor two wheeler accidents.
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 13:16   #5
BHPian

When my kiddo was small, she saw my helmet and wanted one. So after lot of searching I found one suitable for her size and we would go riding together. Sadly she outgrew the helmet.

When she was old enough to get a license, I told her I would sponsor her any vehicle as long as she wore a helmet at all times. She didn't have any problems. I guess seeing me wear the helmet made a good impression for her.

Now that she has graduated to four wheels, I am happy to see she doesnt even hit the ignition until her and the pax (if any) has bucked up.
RedTerrano is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 14:14   #6
BHPian

My father always used helmet before going anywhere on his bike, so it became a habit and I adopted the same seeing him do it. IMO the reason why a lot of people avoid wearing a helmet is because of the poor design and ventilation system of the helmets given away with your new ride and as they are so, a search for a better gear is never done as the older one felt like punishment. I feel that modular or open face helmets can help in inculcating the practice of wearing a helmet whenever anyone goes for a ride.
HEMIOrange is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:55   #7
BHPian

Re: Enforcing helmets on family members

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I guess seeing me wear the helmet made a good impression for her.
Children learn what they see. My personal experience has been that I followed my father's safe driving practices and my son has followed me. This has been confirmed by both my wife and daughter.

Safety habits once ingrained correctly will never fade. It's our duty to inculcate safety habits in our family.
Zen Av8r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 16:43   #8
BHPian

I'll talk practically. We the rule following bikers are a minority. We actually are. No idea talking about solutions when they worked for our life, but they don't solve the problem at large.

I think these are the reasons (more of excuses) to not wear helmet:-

1. Hairstyle mostly can't be maintained in helmets,
2. Heat, too much of it,
3. Showing off (youngsters won't admit it openly but, I'll let you decide)
4. keeping the helmet (storage while you're in college/ work/ theatre hall, fear of theft),
5. Vision obstruction feeling (through helmet's limited field of view)
6. Vision obstruction at night, due to scratched visors,
7. Face/ Make up gets spoilt, you can't wear some big sized corona masks inside helmets,

Can you make a protective solution which gives none of these problems, for the common bike rider who doesn't exceed 60 kmph?

We must innovate to find viable solution to these problems, then we can solve the discipline problem regarding helmets to a big extent.

And why did I mention it here? Actually, I do have a patentable solution in mind, I will discuss it on another day...
Samarth 619 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 17:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindb_0711 View Post
They think that they need not wear helmets if they are just taking the scooter for short trips
Brace for impact. Tough post ahead.

This incident dates back to 2003 and IIRC, it was Navratri. One of my building mates starts his CD100SS to go just to the end of the street to get something from a grocer. He goes out of the building, and just at the next building, gets hit by a speeding UV. He is thrown up, comes down head first, head hits a concrete surface right outside the next building, and part of his skull opens up. Nobody there knows that he resides just next door. Some good Samaritan bundles him into another good Samaritan's Qualis, and he is rushed to Emergency care in one of the good hospitals in Surat. Info reaches the family after an hour based on his company ID card in his wallet. People who perform a scan says he has no chance, and eventually he gets operated upon after 4 hours. He held on. It took him 4 months to return home, and approx. 3 years to return to normalcy.

I used to have a 2 stroke Scooty then, and wouldn't use a helmet on that vehicle, although I'd use one on the Super, Chetak, LML and other "heavier" machines. Ever since I experienced this incident, I'm back to 100% helmet ways even if I have to just ride two blocks away. My wife and my son have always donned helmets when going out together, much to the amusement of other riders, but they don't bother. So, a helmet is non-negotiable !
vigsom is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 18:16   #10
BHPian

The problem is even aged people who are matured and realize the value of life still don't take the concept of helmet seriously.

This is just the a parallel to folks who claim its okie to not wear a seatbelt just because they are driving inside the city.
Old 6th July 2021, 09:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You can't convince everyone.

I have a friend who crashed his bike barely 500m from his house one night, not wearing a helmet. We had to take him in the middle of the night to the hospital. Stitches, CT scan because he lost consciousness, lost two front teeth, had to have dental work even a year later. A few years after the accident after he recovered completely, I was at his place when another friend had to be dropped to the metro station. Our hero offers to drop him on the bike...but leaves his helmet behind...because "it's only a short distance no!" Some people will never learn.

What you can exercise some degree of influence over is the vehicle you own. I've flatly refused to start the bike if my wife doesn't wear a helmet (this was back when it wasn't a rule for the pillion to wear a helmet in Bangalore). Had some arguments. Sometimes she'd say ok she'll drive the car instead and I'll agree happily. Then Bangalore traffic and lack of parking happens so finally the bike does make more sense and that means helmets!

Same with the car, if I'm driving, everyone buckles up or no start. Anyone who doesn't want to is welcome to take their own car!

Last edited by am1m : 6th July 2021 at 09:57.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:37   #12
BHPian

I honestly have stopped bothering explaining or caring for anyone outside my extended family when it comes to things like seat belts and gear. Am not being a cynic but I find that unless one is personally convinced, they can't be coerced into something.

That said, compared to even a decade ago am finding that voluntary adoption of seatbelts, helmets, pillion helmets etc is rising (would be interesting to know if some studies confirm this anecdotal evidence).

Personally, I always insist my immedietae family helmet up (ride and pillion) and belt up. When am driving, front seats are always belted up, if pure day city traffic conditions, rear seats are exempt. Anywhere I know I will be crossing 60 kmph (which means non peak hours, highways etc) rear passengers also belt up.

From the time my kiddo turned 3, I have been drilling helmets, seatbelts, safety and road rules into his head, now he is 10 and these are second nature to him, belting up, wearing helmets (even when he is cycling) aren't told, they just are done, without second thought.

My job is done.
Stribog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:45   #13
BHPian

Making the rear passengers wear seat belts is still a difficult task in our place, and hence helmets are a story for another day!
Old 8th July 2021, 17:35   #14
BHPian

Don't know if this is the right thread, but I wonder if anyone saw the news (it was in Newspapers in Bangalore) that the police are going on a drive to ensure only ISI marked helmets are worn by bike riders. I've actually been stopped and fined for wearing an AGV full face that is DOT and ECE rated, and certainly safer than the ISI marked helmets I see on sale. This to me seems antithetical to the push for safety that is the reason behind helmet rules.
Warlock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 10:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindb_0711 View Post
As an automotive enthusiast, I am constantly reminded of the importance of safety gear by the innumerous experiences recounted by fellow members of TeamBHP. We know that life threatening injuries are possible in road accidents and hence, we take adequate measures for safety.

Sadly, most people lack seriousness in this regard. They think that they need not wear helmets if they are just taking the scooter for short trips and moreover, they think that riding safely is enough to prevent accidents. People don't understand that they are putting their life at a huge risk by not wearing a helmet and give trivial reasons for not wearing one.

I have always had a tough time trying to make my family members buy and wear proper helmets. I constantly remind them of the importance, but I'm just ignored most of the times.

Fellow members must have experienced the same issues time and again. Share your experiences and help me make all people wear helmets!
Anyone who rides a two wheeler without a helmet is an absolute idiot, period. Especially in India. That argument of "Oh but I ride safely" is irrelevant since you negate that by not wearing safety gear. You cannot make everyone else on the road ride safely plus you cannot make the road any safer either. It only takes one accident to drive the message home by which time it is too late.

I have been in 3-4 nasty accidents over the last couple decades but I have been saved by the helmet every single time. None of those have been my fault. I have itchy hair, bad hairstyle, I need to wear spectacles (which is a pain with helmets) and my motorbike has great brakes, ABS, great lights AND I follow all the rules too. Guess what, I will still wear a helmet even when I'm going to a grocery store 200meters away (I'd really rather walk but hey). The only time you do not need a helmet on the road is while you're crossing the road while walking or you're in a car.

If you really want your (currently idiotic and careless) family members to stay safe, confiscate keys to be handed over ONLY when they wear helmets or scare them straight by helping them speak to victims who barely survived - maybe even those who lost a limb or two. Tough love but if it avoids them from dying or being permanently disabled, definitely worth it.

Bad hair is temporary. Death is permanent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks