Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2021, 11:39   #31
BANNED

Re: How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines

Never really considered these to be much of an issue, I just drop a gear or two or even three depending on Motorcycle and accelerate if it's on a straight line.

In a corner I do more or less the same with the addition of changing cornering style to keep the motorcycle as upright as possible.

Also just to clear the air, though I say "Accelerate" do note that it is not for the purpose of gaining speed rather it is to engage the chassis and suspension.

Having said all that do note that if one is not riding at a speed that complements both road conditions and riding ability then all bets are off.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 12:51   #32
BHPian

Re: How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
These are vertical lines (It is like the road authorities knowingly mowed the road like lawn, Just exactly opposite of rumble strips but very closer lines) normally seen on the bridges some times, my erstwhile Getz tyres used to make noises when we cross them and i have visibly sensed getting less road grip while crossing them.
You are lucky to have the TB500 as the weight of the bike should help a bit. I face these 1-2 times a year on a Flyover in Thane on my Activa. Imagine the horror I faced when I experienced these for the first time. On the Activa, even 40-50KMPH is dangerous. As most have advised:

1) Loosen up the handle a bit. Do not tighten your grip as the front wheel will be unstable and it will need some space to move around.
2) Stop the acceleration until you reach a safe and comfortable speed. This depends upon the bike, biker and the surface. Resume the acceleration at this safe speed and maintain the same until this surface is over.
3) Do not hard break at any point. More so when the surface starts. Avoid front break as much as possible as it is the front tyre that is more unstable in such cases.
Old 5th August 2021, 15:27   #33
BHPian

First and foremost, glad to see you getting back on the horse

Having biked across many a rural and highway road, I can tell you the best way to take care of any undulation are two things
1. Ride with control: there is nothing worse than a heavy bike that is going too fast on unstable tarmac, if you can see a bad patch coming slow down to below 60 KPH. If you cannot see it and are already there use the method described above to reduce throttle input and come to a stable speed. A heavy bike slows down fast, but also keeps it stable at a lower speed.
2. Ride with safety and ergonomic gear: Most people assume its just helmet. Unfortunately for undulating roads like ours, it is equally important to have a good pair of gloves ALWAYS when you ride. The amount of damping a glove provides is very underrated, especially on uneven and undulating roads, its easy to keep grip without putting too much effort or tightening when you wear a glove. When going on highways always try to wear a riding jacket and a thick trouser
3. Attitude: Remember why you bought this bike, and enjoy every moment you ride on it. Do not let a faster moving object disturb you peace of mind, even if it may be a swerve or a call too close. Just keep calm and ride to your bliss!

While how you negotiate the road is dependent on the vehicle handling and the tyre. It can be made very comfortable with the right attitude and just the right gloves. Happy riding!

Last edited by prasanna.vps : 5th August 2021 at 15:30.
Old 5th August 2021, 16:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post

It can be made very comfortable with the right attitude and just the right gloves. Happy riding!
Yeah , true about the Gloves, I will get see if I can get a good, comfortable pair.
Old 6th August 2021, 00:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post

What am I doing wrong ? How do I manage these lines
Hi gentleman, let me tell you one thing - you are not doing anything wrong. I have been on the same boat for almost 7 years and then in 2019 the Eureka moment happened for me! I own a 2012 Thunderbird 350 and since the beginning I felt something was wrong with my bike and not a single service centre (across Chhattisgarh & NCR) was able to exactly put a finger on it. I changed tyres, got alignment checked but nothing worked, I accepted it as an inherent problem and moved on, so much so that I even did a Ladakh trip on her in 2017. Then after college I moved to Raipur Chhattisgarh and that time bike had done close to 55,000kms and I took her for a service at a newly opened service centre and that’s where the mechanic pointed out that the swingarm is misaligned, can you believe it that I rode the bike for past 7 years with that problem, in my case the bike would tramline, specially the rear end would feel like its not obeying my inputs but rather following the contours of the road, it was more pronounced when let’s say you are joining the road from the shoulder and the road surface is slightly higher than the shoulder, the bike would feel as if its two entirely different machines wanting to go their own way.

So during the service, the swingarm was changed and after the replacement I have done close to 20,000kms now and the bike feels really taught. In the end I had to shell somewhere around 14k (IIRC service charges were included) for the shoddy QC practices by Royal Enfield.
But I’m a happy man, that I finally have a bike which rides the way it should.

My suggestions would be-
  • Get swing arm bushings checked
  • Watch out for lateral play in the rear wheel
  • Check the condition of cone set (they go bad in thunderbirds very easily)
  • Check for misaligned swingarm

Last edited by sachin_cs : 6th August 2021 at 01:05.
sachin_cs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 10:46   #36
BHPian

After numerous day trips and few weekend trips over Thunderbird, I was thinking about a multiday trip without a plan, destination or date in mind, Until my wife came with an offer last decemeber.

It was simple. She just wanted to visit her sister.
She wanted to go immediately and wanted to stay for a week.

TLDR, She left next day over train.

Obviously I tried to execute a drive plan but since it was a short notice, no regular buddies seem available and also i was not able to latch on to any decent plan that i can execute.

At the start of the trip
How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines-3.jpeg

Crossing Tumakuru
How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines-1.jpeg

Near Bhadra feeder point
How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines-4.png

2 kms backside of Agoreshwara temple (Nayak dynasty temple)
How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines-5.png

A scenic pond by Umblebyle
How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines-6.png

ottinene beach
How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines-7.png

Entire route map over 6 days.
How to handle my motorcycle tramlining on the road's continuous vertical lines-8.png

Some trivias:
1. Since this was my first multi days trip, I was very nervous for first day, I was frequently seeing puncture shops. Once the initial anxiety was over about puncture, this got subdued.
2. Did holebagilu ferry ride, Tadadi ferry ride first time with bike.
3. Whenever possible I took longer routes to stay in road.
4. Reached Ottinene beach after riding through a fishermen village. It was so clean that next month, I took my wife to the same place to show her.
5. Didn't like Maravanthe much. Somehow felt over-rated. Also it may be because I don't have drone view.
6. Agoreshwara temple seemed to be stemmed from Nayak dynasty. The place looked calm, serine and historoic. Visited this place next time with my wife. Wife also liked this place.
7. Drive to Yana caves was good. but the cave looked over-rated.
8. What do i saw about Haveri, everytime I visit this place, my nostril is filled with full of sugarcane, What a smell around the whole city. I always enjoy crossing this place.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th March 2022 at 12:12. Reason: Team-BHP rule #11 - No mention of alcohol please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks