Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 17:56   #1
BHPian

Piaggio & Autoliv developing an airbag for two-wheelers

To improve rider safety, Piaggio Group and Autoliv have joined hands to develop an airbag for two-wheelers. Autoliv is a Swedish-American company. It is an automotive safety supplier selling its products to multiple major car companies in the world.

The initial concept of the airbag has already been created by Autoliv. The brand has also conducted full-scale crash tests. Now with Piaggio Group onboard, the development will be carried out even further.

Name:  airbagtwowheeler.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  42.2 KB

The airbag will be mounted on a two-wheeler’s frame. It will be capable of deploying in milliseconds.

Under its Saving More Lives vision, Autoliv is working on safety products specifically for protecting vulnerable road users. The company aims to save 1 lakh lives a year by 2030.

Source: Autocar

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by UtkarshC : 9th November 2021 at 18:00.
UtkarshC is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 19:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Piaggio & Autoliv developing an airbag for two-wheelers

What's the point of this with helmets? Won't it discourage people from wearing helmets. Most of them wear helmet to avoid traffic fines.

Protection for front upper body and more importantly the spine region can be actually helpful, right?
Old 9th November 2021, 19:44   #3
BHPian

Will it not be more harm than a safety feature? Will it not throw away the rider?
raguprasad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 19:54   #4
BHPian

Mode of injury in two-wheelers is very different from cars. In car impact of external force is indirect most of the times, airbags deployment creates a buffer between the two. In two wheelers the impact is directly on the rider (Be it road or another vehicle). Just wondering how will this thing help if the ride is thrown away with the impact. A wearable airbag concept looks more practical to me.

Name:  crash.gif
Views: 544
Size:  496.4 KB

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2021 at 04:13. Reason: Typo
bravo82in is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 21:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtkarshC View Post
Attachment 2230352

The airbag will be mounted on a two-wheeler’s frame. It will be capable of deploying in milliseconds.
It doesn't look practical to me. Most of the cases, Riders would fall sideways than straight.
snallagatla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 22:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
A wearable airbag concept looks more practical to me.
Read a news article almost a year back about a company showcasing a concept of integrating an airbag into a rider suit coupled with G sensors to deploy when the rider gets separated from the bike at high speed. I am not sure if this has ever reached the commercialization phase.
Old 10th November 2021, 07:09   #7
BHPian

Details of 2-wheeler airbags from Autoliv website
Attached Thumbnails
Piaggio & Autoliv developing an airbag for two-wheelers-8d798c822a2d4d37af860778b36a1246.jpeg  

Piaggio & Autoliv developing an airbag for two-wheelers-c2577b3453344a68ab179d0167dab2be.jpeg  

bravo82in is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 11:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
It doesn't look practical to me. Most of the cases, Riders would fall sideways than straight.
My thoughts exactly!
Most two wheeler accidents are one or the other form of skids resulting in high-sides or low-sides.
Take our own country for example. Most two wheeler riders dont know how to apply front brakes properly. My own family members were shocked and questioned me as to why was I using the front brakes.
A lot of the accidents happen because people lock up their rear brakes and fail to control the resulting fishtailing and fall sideways. Or take the ever present squids on our roads most of who cause sideways glancing collisions usually falling themselves.
A very small amount of accidents are frontal collisions.
Not sure how this airbag design would help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks