Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe


Reply
  Search this Thread
11,644 views
Old 31st March 2024, 15:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,810
Thanked: 19,312 Times
Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification

Airoh's range of ISI certified helmets has recently arrived in local stores. Right now, the top of the line FIM approved GP550, the thoroughbred Commander, the sports touring focused Spark, the off road ready Wraap and the 5* SHARP rated Valor, are once again available in India. I found these at Autoqueen in Cochin. Do check with your local retailers for latest stocks of these ISI certified helmets.

1. GP 550
Quite a few TBHPians (including me) have been happily using the track ready GP 550 for the last few years. This is one of the few top of the line track helmets which are available in India.
MRP - Rs 46,500

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-1.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-2.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-3.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-4.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-5.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-6.jpg

2. Commander

From what I have seen of the Kerala market, the Commander is the de facto choice in the middle weight and above adventure bike segment. Ive only heard great feedback on this helmet from owners.
MRP - Rs 48,800

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-7.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-8-2.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 15:35   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,810
Thanked: 19,312 Times
Re: Airoh Helmets in India with ISI Certification

3. Spark
A sports touring helmet which comes with a drop down sun-visor. The vent on the top to control air flow is suprisingly super premium! With a weight of 1620 +/- 50 grams, this isnt the lightest choice out there but it doesnt feel too heavy.
MRP - Rs 24,500

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-1.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-2.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-3.jpg

4. Wraap

This is targetted squarely at the growing off-road segment. This comes in at 1480 +/- 50 grams. The colour schemes are very attractive!
MRP - Rs 20,700

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-11.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-12.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-13.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-14.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-7.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-8.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-9.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-10.jpg

5. Valor

For a brief period (pre-ISI), the Valor was an excellent choice in the sub Rs 15,000 price range, thanks to its 5* SHARP rating. It weighs 1520 +/- 50 grams.
MRP - Rs 17,000

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-4.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-6.jpg

Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-5.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 17:30   #3
Team-BHP Support
 
KarthikK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,537
Thanked: 10,537 Times
Re: Airoh Helmets in India with ISI Certification

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:35   #4
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Gt.Bentley U.K.
Posts: 191
Thanked: 565 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Re: Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification

When we visit India each year for 4 months my wife and I ride a 2 wheeler. We bring our UK helmets as they are of a much higher standard than most of those sold locally.
We were told that a helmet must have an "ISI" marking. After several discussions with the Indian High Commission in the UK, it was confirmed that there is no requirement for ISI marking. The helmet must meet or exceed the BIS standard. As long as it can be proved, for example a copy of the certification i.e. BS or UNECE.

In fact, the Indian MVA 1988 does not require a helmet to display the ISI or BIS marking.
Quote :

129. Wearing of protective headgear.—Every person driving or riding (otherwise than in a side car, on a motor cycle of any class or description) shall, while in a public place, wear 2[protective headgear conforming to the standards of Bureau of Indian Standards]: Provided that the provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who is a Sikh, if he is, while driving or riding on the motor cycle, in a public place, wearing a turban: Provided further that the State Government may, by such rules, provide for such exceptions as it may think fit. Explanation.—”Protective headgear” means a helmet which,— (a) by virtue of its shape, material and construction, could reasonably be expected to afford to the person driving or riding on a motor cycle a degree of protection from injury in the event of an accident; and (b) is securely fastened to the head of the wearer by means of straps or other fastenings provided on the headgear.

Regards Neil

Last edited by Redex : 2nd April 2024 at 10:41. Reason: Spelling
Redex is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:01   #5
BHPian
 
WhiskeyTangoFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 325
Thanked: 1,132 Times
Re: Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
When we visit India each year for 4 months my wife and I ride a 2 wheeler. We bring our UK helmets as they are of a much higher standard than most of those sold locally.
We were told that a helmet must have an "ISI" marking. After several discussions with the Indian High Commission in the UK, it was confirmed that there is no requirement for ISI marking. The helmet must meet or exceed the BIS standard. As long as it can be proved, for example a copy of the certification i.e. BS or UNECE.

In fact, the Indian MVA 1988 does not require a helmet to display the ISI or BIS marking.
Quote :

129. Wearing of protective headgear.—Every person driving or riding (otherwise than in a side car, on a motor cycle of any class or description) shall, while in a public place, wear 2[protective headgear conforming to the standards of Bureau of Indian Standards]: Provided that the provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who is a Sikh, if he is, while driving or riding on the motor cycle, in a public place, wearing a turban: Provided further that the State Government may, by such rules, provide for such exceptions as it may think fit. Explanation.—”Protective headgear” means a helmet which,— (a) by virtue of its shape, material and construction, could reasonably be expected to afford to the person driving or riding on a motor cycle a degree of protection from injury in the event of an accident; and (b) is securely fastened to the head of the wearer by means of straps or other fastenings provided on the headgear.

Regards Neil
This must be read with Clause 5.1 of Annexure - B to the "PRODUCT MANUAL FOR PROTECTIVE HELMET FOR TWO WHEELER RIDERS ACCORDING TO IS 4151: 2015" which states that

"All the production which conforms to the Indian Standards and covered by the licence should be marked with Standard Mark."

A caveat in this regard is though the IS 4151 Standards in itself state that the helmet may be marked with the Standard Mark, the product manual which is used as a reference for inspection and as a reference for persons who wish to apply for the license, mandate it.

Unfortunately, most of our legislations are non-coherent with each other, and a traffic cop isn't going to give two hoots about what the high commission says. However, I don't think they're going to stop anyone for this when the infamous ferrari topi helmet people are still loose on the streets XD

Last edited by WhiskeyTangoFox : 2nd April 2024 at 11:03.
WhiskeyTangoFox is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:09   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Riyadh
Posts: 330
Thanked: 2,116 Times
Re: Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
In fact, the Indian MVA 1988 does not require a helmet to display the ISI or BIS marking.
That was true before 2021, According to the new notification (amended) – which states that two-wheeler helmets shall bear the Indian Standard Mark under a license from the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018 and this shall come into effect from March 1, 2021.

Also, BSI standards percolates from British/American/European standards and at times these BSI standards are even much more stringent than their counterparts. Problem arises for its robust implementation on ground.

I lost one of my Sikh friend some years back, because the system allows to ride the 2-wheeler without helmet. Later as I came to know there was no bodily injury except the head hitting the road median. Wish the system looks into that part of the rule and not exclude anyone based on their headgear.

Off topic Question - How does in UK Sikh riders wear helmets ? Or what are the rules for them ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
A caveat in this regard is though the IS 4151 Standards in itself state that the helmet may be marked with the Standard Mark.
I guess the new ammendement of the standard will replace this "may" with "shall", if not already done.
Attached Thumbnails
Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification-img_7498.jpeg  


Last edited by NomadSK : 2nd April 2024 at 11:39.
NomadSK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:58   #7
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Gt.Bentley U.K.
Posts: 191
Thanked: 565 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Re: Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification

Hi,
I still cannot find anywhere in the MVA that states a helmet must display the ISI mark. Please provide text or a link. All the above information seems to relate to the standards concerning use of the ISI mark but do not seem to appear in the MVA
Redex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:28   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Riyadh
Posts: 330
Thanked: 2,116 Times
Re: Airoh Helmets launched in India with ISI Certification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
Hi,
I still cannot find anywhere in the MVA that states a helmet must display the ISI mark. Please provide text or a link. All the above information seems to relate to the standards concerning use of the ISI mark but do not seem to appear in the MVA
MVA is continuously amended, it's always a work in progress. That’s why there are gazette notifications released from time to time for making it better and is cross-linked to that specific rule with no direct mention of the change in MVA. It's when the judiciary comes into the picture for correct interpretation, if at all it is required.

Rule 138 (4) (f) of Central Motors Vehicles Rules (CMVR), states that at the time of purchase of the two-wheeler, the manufacturer of the two-wheeler or the dealer should supply the protective headgear conforming to specifications prescribed by the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). And one of the criteria for BIS, is the marking, which either manufacturer or dealer has to conform.

For ISI marking, see the earlier post, point-2 in the picture.

Now that arises another question, Does Dealer/Manufacturer provides BIS approved helmets during 2- wheeler purchase as per this rule ?

Last edited by NomadSK : 2nd April 2024 at 12:32.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks