Team-BHP - How To: Clean your motorcycle helmet
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Ride Safe (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/)
-   -   How To: Clean your motorcycle helmet (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-safe/61655-how-clean-your-motorcycle-helmet.html)

Guys,
Is there a place where i can get my helmet cleaned? I tried doing it with a vaccm cleaner from the inside but i guess it is not good enough. It has 1 year worth of riding memorabilia in it.
I surveyed some shops on JC road but i did not find their methods appealing. Please suggest me of a shop where i can go and get it done.

Why don't you try cleaning it with those upholstery cleaning cans that are used for car seats ?? The only thing being you'll feel you're in an orange farm when you have your helmet on :D

use mild soap solution and brush the insides, rinse with clean water & let it dry, should do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 1168583)
use mild soap solution and brush the insides, rinse with clean water & let it dry, should do.

+1

also
Bell Helmets - Helmet 101
Quote:

HOW DO I CARE FOR/CLEAN MY HELMET?
Cleaning Helmets
Helmets are made of materials that can be damaged by many common cleaners. Petroleum-based solvents or cleaners are especially dangerous. For best results, clean the helmet using a soft cloth or sponge, warm water and mild dish soap. Salt build-up on straps is best removed using a sponge and water.
and next time buy a helmet with removable inner liners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WasavaTyres (Post 1168560)
Why don't you try cleaning it with those upholstery cleaning cans that are used for car seats ?? The only thing being you'll feel you're in an orange farm when you have your helmet on :D

I wouldn't use something like that with unknown ingredients... and something that you cant rinse out!

I'd suggest a good hair shampoo...

Is the helmet liner removable? If it is then it's very easy. Take it out wash it with washing powder rinse it and let it dry.

If the helmet liner is not removable it's a bit difficult. First find a big bucket or basin large enough to swallow the whole helmet (remove the visor). Then soak the helmet in there, using least quantity of very mild detergent, for couple of hours. Then rinse it, as much as it takes to remove the traces of detergent. Hang dry it and then later sun dry it.

I've tried the latter for an AGV (import) with non removable liners without any harm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 1169123)
Is the helmet liner removable? If it is then it's very easy. Take it out wash it with washing powder rinse it and let it dry.

If the helmet liner is not removable it's a bit difficult. First find a big bucket or basin large enough to swallow the whole helmet (remove the visor). Then soak the helmet in there, using least quantity of very mild detergent, for couple of hours. Then rinse it, as much as it takes to remove the traces of detergent. Hang dry it and then later sun dry it.

I've tried the latter for an AGV (import) with non removable liners without any harm.

Done this a number of times when I use to ride.

Outside its quite easy to clean using something such as a mincream , however inside foam and cover which is the one which takes maximum punishment of sweat , dust and pollution is a pain!

Motorcycle helmets get dirty and smelly over use, specially during the rains. Over time, it is almost detestable to wear one. Like all products that one wears, the motorcycle helmet is also supposed to be kept clean and hygienic.

Trouble is that how do you clean the insides of your motorcycle helmet?! Found some useful links on Google and turned up with this one: How To: Clean your motorcycle helmet

Do you have any alternate methods that you have tried?! A pictorial would be great.

I clean the exterior of my GPR with colin every second day.
Wipe it with a micro fiber cloth.
My helmet is about 18 months old and still looks like new.

I have a spare open face that I use when I go for short jaunts.
Also use the open face on Fridays when I need to place it in the open as I go for Namaz.

Neither of my helmets are left on the bike.

For the interiors. Both the helmets have removable lining.
I wash them with a mild detergent if needed.

I have taken to wearing a keffiyeh covering my head and ears inside the helmet.

Perfect timing Gordon :D Just bought a helmet yesterday and am getting a bike today.
Should be pretty helpful.

Quote:

Neither of my helmets are left on the bike.
Thats one of the key reasons why helmets get very dirty, wet and smelly. My own helmets are clean; both inside and outside. A friend of mine generally leaves his helmet on the bike. The complete inner padding used to get wet AND dusty. Its impossible to wear it now.

We'll follow the instructions on that site, and if possible take a small pictorial too.

Nice info Gordon ! My helmet is actually quite old but I manage to maintain it and keep it quite clean, both inside and outside ! And yes, it is single use, I never lend it to anybody, guess that helps too !

Replace your helmet every 3 years.

It looses its efficiency due to heat/moisture/pollution etc.

If your helmet has a bad fall, say down a flight of stairs then replace it.
If you bounced your head on a raod while wearing it, replace it.

Removable linings are good,i wash the one's on my AGV often and while i dip them in water i add a few drops of Dettol.

To clean visor i use Colin