Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2011, 22:12   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABS for bikes: How different from cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Was looking at Honda CBR250 and was wondering if its really worth the 30k extra ( didnt know it was this costly ! ) .
In terms of hardware, I think the ABS option is way overpriced.
Honda is charging a premium for the faith we repose in it. In that this ABS system will not interfere with our biking, will not ask us to relearn/ retrain ourselves. Will complement our riding, rather than second guess us, fight us.
All this is a matter of faith.

My take:- if it prevents just one bad incident, it has earned its keep.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 09:23   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
In terms of hardware, I think the ABS option is way overpriced.
Honda is charging a premium for the faith we repose in it. In that this ABS system will not interfere with our biking, will not ask us to relearn/ retrain ourselves. Will complement our riding, rather than second guess us, fight us.
All this is a matter of faith.

My take:- if it prevents just one bad incident, it has earned its keep.

Regards
Sutripta
So do you mean to say the Apache's makes us relearn?
Old 1st November 2011, 09:41   #108
Team-BHP Support

@JK - I couldn't gather much from the video of braking shown by CBR 250R's, the ABS and the non-ABS ones.

I would have gone for one had all bikes, all across been shod with ABS. You know it is so hard to learn the braking skill, unlearn it on an ABS equipped bike.Hop on a non-ABS in a joy ride and ...(crash)
Old 1st November 2011, 19:32   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So do you mean to say the Apache's makes us relearn?
Hi,
I don't know. As I said, it is a matter of faith. And for twowheelers, If forced to choose, would trust Honda over TVS/ Continental.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th July 2012, 13:57   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW makes ABS standard on all motorbikes!

Quote:
BMW's Motorrad division has made a number of changes to its 2013 model-year range, most of it having to do with paint colors. The preeminent development is that all of its bikes, worldwide, will come with ABS standard.

The move comes three years ahead the European Union's 2016 requirement that all motorcycles sold there come with ABS, and is an evolution of BMW Motorrad's Safety 360 initiative. That umbrella looks at rider safety from the perspectives of motorbike technology, rider equipment and gear, and rider training, all of which BMW Motorrad has its hands in. On top of ABS, BMW has developed other technology for motorcycles that's usually heard in conjunction with cars: electronic suspension adjustment, automatic stability control, dynamic traction control and adaptive headlights.

BMW makes ABS standard on all motorcycles
Old 10th July 2012, 03:57   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I try not to be overly suspicious of things but I suspect BMW had a hand in the European Union making ABS a requirement for all motorcycles sold in 2016.

With the complexities of ABS how many motorcycle companies can afford to design and develop it for their products? How many compaines other than BMW offer ABS on their motorcycles?

It sounds almost like with the stroke of a pen all of the worlds motorcycle producers except BMW will no longer be able to compete with them in the European market.

How nice for BMW.
How terrible for the people in the affected Countries. :-(
Old 10th July 2012, 10:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
I don't know. As I said, it is a matter of faith. And for twowheelers, If forced to choose, would trust Honda over TVS/ Continental.

Regards
Sutripta
Since I bought a TVS Apache with ABS, I can now confirm that its well worth the extra money and can be a life saver/bike part saver
You get more confident when you have to brake hard on slippery roads or when you have to do emergency stopping on unknown roads when, for example, you see a new pothole which could damage your bike if you had driven over it.
Old 10th July 2012, 21:00   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
With the complexities of ABS how many motorcycle companies can afford to design and develop it for their products? How many compaines other than BMW offer ABS on their motorcycles?

It sounds almost like with the stroke of a pen all of the worlds motorcycle producers except BMW will no longer be able to compete with them in the European market.

How nice for BMW.
How terrible for the people in the affected Countries. :-(
You mean other than BMW, no other bike manufacturer has ABS?

Quote:
You get more confident when you have to brake hard on slippery roads
I agree. ABS has brought about a change in my riding style: I now know how much of a margin I was leaving earlier. I now know that I can brake much harder than I used to, and even that will not trigger the ABS. Good or bad from the safety perspective:- you decide!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 15:00   #114
BHPian

While searching for some information on the internet, I came across this article on How the ABS work in motorcycles. I am aware a lot has been discussed here about this forum.

Just thought of sharing this with our members, in case this is on interest to them.

Link to the News Item:

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle5812314.ece

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks