Team-BHP - Accidents in India | Pics & Videos
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Accidents in India | Pics & Videos (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/109249-accidents-india-pics-videos-2040.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by WasavaTyres (Post 4763057)
After watching and reading about so many incidents in this thread, never imagined I'd be featuring my own car here someday. A tractor trolley smashed into the side of my car last week while I was driving to Bhopal....

Apologies if this hurts you but I do not agree that the 'Tractor smashed into you' part. From the video it is clear you smashed into the tractor. I am sorry for the damage and I hope there are no injuries. Drive safe and have fun. Again, apologies if I am wrong.

It looks to me that the tractor pulled out across the path of the overtaking vehicle. Suddenly and without signalling. I'd suspect that he didn't even look. That puts the fault fully on the tractor driver.

It's arguable: could WasavaTyres have noticed the movement to the right fractions of a second earlier? Would it have made any difference if he did? Terrifying experience. I'm glad he and his daughter are ok, and that the damage is not even worse.

Others may decry the noise pollution, but I'd use horn liberally in this kind of an overtake.

http://youtu.be/crxCe1cSdPE

Today evening when I left office, I happened to witness this accident. It's a two lane road where I'mcoming (no road markings but still 2 lane). There is enough room for a container to turn left from the left lane. Everyday many trucks do that...Longer Trucks with much bigger turning radius. Here his decision was a last one. And hence he had forgotten about the brezza which wasn't in his blindspot earlier but at the time of the turn it was. In the video even I appear to be really close but there was enough gap for one two wheeler to pass.

A simple map of the junction for understanding (i can'tshow it in a more simple way :D )
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-img20200304wa003501.jpeg

In fact I was scared for the lady at the beginning who crossed the truck. But a few moments later someone else suffered. I must be thankful to that Brezza for joining and not waiting for me. If he had waited for me to pass, I'd have mostly taken that spot!

And as if the service road concept in itself is not complex, on the service road at the bottom, due to metro construction the traffic moves on the right side. Don't ask me why, I wonder about it everyday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagr22 (Post 4763064)
From the video it is clear you smashed into the tractor.

Not a pro at video so unable to post a regular video, this is the frame rate at which it was recorded, at 70 km/h the car takes times to come to a halt, it's not like I see this guy suddenly come into my lane and instantly my car would grind to a halt :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4763076)
Suddenly and without signalling.

It's arguable: could WasavaTyres have noticed the movement to the right fractions of a second earlier? Would it have made any difference if he did? Terrifying experience. I'm glad he and his daughter are ok, and that the damage is not even worse.

Others may decry the noise pollution, but I'd use horn liberally in this kind of an overtake.

Sir I did honk and start braking the instant I saw him swerving - if you notice - the guy had wooden planks mounted onto the trolley - perhpas to ferry more amount of sand - so his visibility was zilch. Not that it would've mattered - he looked over his shoulder only after the sickening sound of metal crushing came into play. The only reason I did not slam onto the brakes was I knew I had a bus behind me [ thanks to all the defensive driving inputs I read here I constantly glance into the rear view mirror to see who's behind me. Trust me there was no way I wanted a fully laden bus slamming into the rear at those speeds. At that moment my only choice was to brake and steer her into the median.

Quote:

Apologies if this hurts you but I do not agree that the 'Tractor smashed into you' part. From the video it is clear you smashed into the tractor. I am sorry for the damage and I hope there are no injuries. Drive safe and have fun. Again, apologies if I am wrong.

The tractor changed lanes. It is the responsibility of the vehicle changing lanes to check that it is clear before doing so.

This is the problem with driving in India. Not having a specific go at you but even on an automotive forum, people do not get basic driving rules right. Instead, we happily make our own rules up about driving two wheelers on the road shoulder, using hazard lights in the fog and so many more :Frustrati

Had to see the video more than once. The sector you were passing had decent miscellaneous traffic and that means, I would focus more on the B pedal then the A pedal because I know for sure I will have to to slow down or stop for someone or the other.

The Tractor had hinted with its intent to move to the fast lane (if not a U-Turn). If attentive, this is where I would ease on the A pedal and start slowing down to remain in control because panic braking may result in rear endings on such highways.

When passing by such busy sections, speeds between 45-60 and eyes super attentive always helps. I am very particular that I always keep an eye on the exhaust tail pipes of trucks and buses (momentary puff of smoke) and their front wheels because these are the most obvious hints that they will change their lanes sooner.

Quote:

A tractor trolley smashed into the side of my car last week while I was driving to Bhopal.

If you slow down the video to 0.25 times the speed, one can see the tractor starting to change his lane much earlier (around the 15/16th second). I'm sorry but even you are also at fault; even though the majority of the fault lies with the tractor. Being the vehicle in the rear; you should have had more control on your brakes, atleast from a principle standpoint.

Thankfully your family hasn't had any damage; it's only to the car (and your purse).

Quote:

Apologies if this hurts you but I do not agree that the 'Tractor smashed into you' part. From the video it is clear you smashed into the tractor.

+ 1 to this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4763076)
It looks to me that the tractor pulled out across the path of the overtaking vehicle. Suddenly and without signalling. I'd suspect that he didn't even look. That puts the fault fully on the tractor driver.

Golden rules of driving applies - lane change indicators and the guy on the rear is (generally) at fault. In this case, the former being a tractor; I doubt any of them show indicators/indication of changing lanes. But it's a tractor, with load - I really doubt on the speed of these vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WasavaTyres (Post 4763096)
Sir I did honk and start braking the instant I saw him swerving ...

Sorry. I have the habit of watching a lot of these videos without bothering to turn the sound system on. Then I forget that I did. The only thing is that honking is not just a last-minute scream, it is also useful as information. I might have honked to warn of my presence before the overtake.

None of that takes away from the tractor driver not looking and not showing any hand, but just turning across a lane blindly. That too, on a road where other traffic is moving mush faster and he should expect to be overtaken.

Quote:

After watching and reading about so many incidents in this thread, never imagined I'd be featuring my own car here someday.

Very unfortunate, but it could happen to anyone. We can only keep trying to avoid such incidents by being more careful.

Quote:

A tractor trolley smashed into the side of my car last week while I was driving to Bhopal.
Actually, unfortunately, you ended up smashing into the tractor, as other members pointed out :). Not that it was your fault sorely.

Quote:

Thank god he took out the front door - My daughter was in her child seat at the rear LHS.
Thank god for that.

Now, since, we are already discussing about "who is at fault" in previous few posts., if I may too, I have three perspectives to share:

1. Take One:
Ideally, as per the rules: Tractor is a non transport vehicle (iirc as per Indian MVA) and mostly not supposed to be on the highway in the first place (apart from in few exceptions, which doesn't look like applicable here). So, the other party is already at fault as it has no business to be there, even before starting a discussion on, "how the tractor shifted to the overtaking lane irresponsibly".

2. Take Two:
In India, it depends on what the majority of the crowd think is correct, so "who is at fault" will keep shifting between you and the tractor wala on various points. One argument would suggest, that, you didn't notice the tractor changing its lane in time and since you hit it from the rear, you are at fault, while the other would suggest that the tractor wala is absolutely at fault for changing lanes like that.

3. Take three:
To own it up. - your safety (and to quite nd extent others) on the road is your responsibility.

In India, where rules are there, but not exactly implemented strongly and consistently across and have infinite permutations and combinations of situations that could arise on the Indian roads, I guess, we should always take the responsibility on ourselves to drive defensively, wisely with all our common sense present on the road; as at the end of the day, if something goes wrong, only we, ourselves will be at loss; and our family and beloved cars would be at the receiving end. And it won't matter who is at fault at that point of time.

Hence, for this incident, whoever be at fault, I wish you had already slowed down gradually, based on anticipation, to increase the margin of error, both for yourself and others around.

Hopefully next time onward.
Happy Mortoring!

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 4763099)
The tractor changed lanes. It is the responsibility of the vehicle changing lanes to check that it is clear before doing so.

This is the problem with driving in India. Not having a specific go at you but even on an automotive forum, people do not get basic driving rules right. Instead, we happily make our own rules up about driving two wheelers on the road shoulder, using hazard lights in the fog and so many more :Frustrati

Totally agree with you. Even on the forum people are justifying the tractor changing lane. Here in USA if you change the lane in this manner and you get hit you have to face a lawsuit for sure. We think 100% before changing lanes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg (Post 4763232)
Totally agree with you. Even on the forum people are justifying the tractor changing lane.

And calling it the fault of the car because he "rear ended" them. With such geniuses behind the wheel, five star NCAP rated cars can't get here fast enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arighna.dutta (Post 4763212)
... One argument would suggest, that, you didn't notice the tractor changing its lane in time and since you hit it from the rear, you are at fault

Sometimes the speculation in this thread hits achievements of epic fiction! This idea takes the biscuit. Or cake, in USA.

He was never behind the tractor, therefore he could not possibly have hit it from behind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg (Post 4763232)
... ... ...Here in USA if you change the lane in this manner and you get hit you have to face a lawsuit for sure. We think 100% before changing lanes.

I remember learning this lesson all too clearly, as I pulled out to the right on a British motorway, to suddenly find myself within inches of the blaring horn of the van I had missed because of not looking properly. No contact, no accident, we all lived to drive another day. No doubt the van driver thought I was a moron, and no doubt: he was right.

The days we feel really, really ashamed and embarrassed are the days we learn the tough lessons about driving.

Quote:

The only thing I can see here is maybe Wasave tyres could have braked a few metres before "anticipating" the tractor will veer towards him.

But I would not put any blame on the OP here. The tractor guy veered a little and then suddenly turned a lot more. You usually don't anticipate them to cut like that unless there was something on his left.

If you see the video it is clear there was nothing on his left at all. Wasave tyres would have seen that there is nothing on the left of tractor so there was no reason for the tractor to veer onto the right.

This is all hindsight and here the blame is completely on the tractor imo. If you are doing 70-80kmph and you are a good driver who has seen tractor and that there is nothing left of tractor, 10/10 of us BHPians would not brake in this scenario and make it in between the tractor. As luck would have it at the very last minute the tractor guy turned completely.

Sad to see the Passat damaged like this. Hope it is as good as new once its back on the road. My guess is new front left door cause they can't fix that hole. Also glad that the child was in the back and strapped in and the impact was to front door. In that way you were lucky even though the accident was bad luck.

Quote:

Guy ended up taking off the left door handle, scraping rear quarter panel and door, smashed the front LHS door glass, broken ORVM , punched a hole in the door (and in my pocket too, the repair estimate is over a lakh)

It hurts just to see pictures of the damage to your Passat. Member Paragsachania has perfectly outlined everything incident-wise and how to take precautionary steps in future. I too feel that the road is not orderly enough to allow for cruising at 70kph but all in all it is definitely the fault of the tractor driver. Please tell me what was the outcome with him? Did you atleast teach him a lesson somehow; perhaps rough him up? make a dent in his savings? go to the cops with this footage? I hate that such careless rascals are allowed to roam freely on Indian roads there is barely any difference between them and animals considering they display no complexity in thought processes :deadhorse

Quote:

Originally Posted by arighna.dutta (Post 4763212)
Very unfortunate, but it could happen to anyone. We can only keep trying to avoid such incidents by being more careful.

True, I believe the onus of literally saving ourselves lies entirely on us. Many a time when driving I am reminded of a old computer game I used to play called Demonstar where you'd have to steer your spaceship to safety from other's who'd randomly change lanes and come onto your path, if you were late to react - boom - one life less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 4763310)
The only thing I can see here is maybe Wasave tyres could have braked a few metres before "anticipating" the tractor will veer towards him.

My guess is new front left door cause they can't fix that hole.

Yes, maybe - but I have to anticipate the same for the several other around me. In fact I spend more time gritting my teeth than humming to music while driving these days. People have graduated from scooters to cars and still drive them like scooters - meandering like a river charting it's course.

Yes, a new door has been ordered, funny thing is the door glass costs half the price of the door itself - Rs.20K !