Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2012, 09:01   #10156
Senior - BHPian

re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
Girl doesn't wear helmet, jumps signal in busy hour, get mow down. Police put video on facebook, and all that TOI want to do is criticize the cop.

Insensitive cops upload gory accident on Facebook - The Times of India

I am sure cop didn't want to glorify the act, only educating other about their responsibility.
A quote from the article linked above:

Quote:
Meanwhile, the cops booked a case under section 337 (causing injuries due to rash or negligent act) of the IPC against the RTC bus driver Mahmood who is absconding.
Why on earth?? What was the mistake the RTC driver did? The girl jumped the signal and hit the bus - for no mistake of the bus driver. Why should he face court action?

Agreed that the bus can cause more damage in an accident, but this accident happened for no mistake of the bus driver. So the next time you want to revenge against a bigger vehicle, go hit it, and get the driver of that vehicle charged for negligent driving??

Edit: About a year back, a biker suddenly veers to the right in front of me - on the Ernakulam bypass, near Edappally junction. I veer to the right, and we avoid a collision - thankfully, there was no vehicle on the right, and I had some gap between me and the divider. Later, at the traffic signal, this biker pulls aside and threatens me saying "he is a biker"!! The traffic cop joins him and shout at me for driving rash! I was doing hardly 50kmph since I saw the traffic signal up ahead (about 300mts away), and it was red. C'mon - people just assume that car drivers are rash - it was the biker who jumped across, but the car driver is always at fault!

Last edited by binaiks : 18th January 2012 at 09:04.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 11:09   #10157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
A quote from the article linked above:

Why on earth?? What was the mistake the RTC driver did? The girl jumped the signal and hit the bus - for no mistake of the bus driver. Why should he face court action?

Agreed that the bus can cause more damage in an accident, but this accident happened for no mistake of the bus driver. So the next time you want to revenge against a bigger vehicle, go hit it, and get the driver of that vehicle charged for negligent driving??
Well, from what we've seen on our roads, the bigger vehicle is always at fault, be it a car, bus, truck etc. How many times have we seen a vehicle driver getting arrested just because a silly pedestrian wanted to run across a busy road??
Old 18th January 2012, 11:35   #10158
Senior - BHPian

New way of parking in building..
Normally there are kids playing around here..
Attached Thumbnails
Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cimg1558.jpg  

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-cimg1559.jpg  

Last edited by gigy : 18th January 2012 at 11:40.
gigy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 12:04   #10159
Senior - BHPian

How Scorps are stress tested...probably was thinking being a mammoth to try uproot that age-old tree.

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-180120121228.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-180120121229.jpg

Accidents in India | Pics & Videos-180120121230.jpg
parsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 13:11   #10160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
New way of parking in building..
Normally there are kids playing around here..
Did you got any more info about this incident, what exactly the driver of Scorpio was trying to do?
Old 18th January 2012, 13:30   #10161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
How Scorps are stress tested...probably was thinking being a mammoth to try uproot that age-old tree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Did you got any more info about this incident, what exactly the driver of Scorpio was trying to do?
Wild guess. Can see the exit in the last snap. Did the Scorpio make the turn at high speed a bit early to land in this mess??
Old 18th January 2012, 13:36   #10162
Senior - BHPian

I guess, this may be a typical case of missing the pedal, insted of hitting a break pedal hard while trying to take a turn, this guy may have pressed gas!! I see its difficult to get Scorp climb that height unless you hit the gas really hard!
Old 18th January 2012, 14:49   #10163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Wild guess. Can see the exit in the last snap. Did the Scorpio make the turn at high speed a bit early to land in this mess??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I guess, this may be a typical case of missing the pedal, insted of hitting a break pedal hard while trying to take a turn, this guy may have pressed gas!! I see its difficult to get Scorp climb that height unless you hit the gas really hard!
Ketan, you hit the bullseye mate. The driver indeed missed the Brake pedal and hit the Accelerator instead and being a novice at that not having driven a Scorp or any vehicle of this magnitute ever before.

The Scorp was also not in high speed and was not trying to get into the downhill but just take a round about around the building premise, it was meant to be just a plain stop. The driver must have got bewildered as the pedal was missed and never having handled such a vehicle instead of instictively braking hard, just couldn't control it further.

It was mistake by the owner to even allow such a novice person to handle such a car.

As it was towed away just sometime ago now, the damage seen was tremendous to the below chassis, so the impact is definitely deadly. Fortunately no human injuries happened especially since that time the school going children come about in that area for their vans.

Last edited by parsh : 18th January 2012 at 14:53.
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 16:41   #10164
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh man. Scary to see the driver hitting the wrong pedal. Thank god kids weren't playing there at that time. BTW, why does this place remind me of Thakur Village?
Old 18th January 2012, 17:17   #10165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
So help me understand, did he or his father wear a seat belt or not? Prima facie it would seem so but i'd rather not conjecture.

Because I honestly think most hatches will not take the kind of accident well in any case. and in a 15 feet fall, other objects may further intrude into the cabin, worsening things.
The guy is generally a sedate driver who just cruizes along at 60kmph types. He wears seatbelts and generally a safe driver type. I am pretty certain that his father was also wearing the same.

According to eye witness as narrated by the cop on highway patrol, the tyre burst and the car took 3 sommersaults before it fell into the ditch. So, I am guessing that the father had the first impact with the side glass assuming front left blew. My friend also mentioned that he had some sort of tyre trouble and the car wobbled before going out of control and he does not know what happened after that. He got operated for 7 hrs on Monday and the surgeon indicated that the damage to his spine is far worse than what the MRI scan reported. Tough times ahead but no answers. The car is completely smashed up
Old 18th January 2012, 18:14   #10166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
The guy is generally a sedate driver who just cruizes along at 60kmph types. He wears seatbelts and generally a safe driver type. I am pretty certain that his father was also wearing the same.

According to eye witness as narrated by the cop on highway patrol, the tyre burst and the car took 3 sommersaults before it fell into the ditch. So, I am guessing that the father had the first impact with the side glass assuming front left blew. My friend also mentioned that he had some sort of tyre trouble and the car wobbled before going out of control and he does not know what happened after that. He got operated for 7 hrs on Monday and the surgeon indicated that the damage to his spine is far worse than what the MRI scan reported. Tough times ahead but no answers. The car is completely smashed up
I am trying to understand, if there is a tyre burst, tubeless tyres wont die immediately right ? One should still have time to come to a halt ?
Old 18th January 2012, 19:04   #10167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post

According to eye witness as narrated by the cop on highway patrol, the tyre burst and the car took 3 sommersaults before it fell into the ditch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I am trying to understand, if there is a tyre burst, tubeless tyres wont die immediately right ? One should still have time to come to a halt ?

That's really shocking that a modern tubeless tires can also burst and may cause that kind of damage.

I had been driving my car for more than a month with a punctured rear right tire, even I did two highway trips during that time with fully loaded car and did some starches at really very high speeds like 130-140 km/hr. I got to know about punctured tire becasue of my regular tire pressure checking habit and in three top-ups I noticed that rear right tire stayed between 12-18psi whenever I checked. Then I got replaced that tire with spare wheel and put the repaired tire in place of spare wheel.

Now it scares me that even modern tires can cause big damage and we can not rely on them.
Old 18th January 2012, 19:13   #10168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Oh man. Scary to see the driver hitting the wrong pedal. Thank god kids weren't playing there at that time. BTW, why does this place remind me of Thakur Village?
Yes, quite a save actually, the tree took the full force head-on and even saved the Scorp from turning turtle sideways on slope, which may have made it slid down the slope and cause more damage and injure the driver and others around the area. And no it is not Thakur Village Kandivali, quite farther actually, Powai, maybe a few similarities in the complex.
Old 18th January 2012, 19:28   #10169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
God..this is the same apartment complex (Powai) where my OHC VTEC was ruined in June-10! I'd parked it on the back side of the complex which is beside a small hillock. A concrete block (god knows from where) fell over the car ruining it completely. Looking at the pictures brought back memories of that fateful day.

Glad that no one got injured in this case.

Mods: Please excuse me if this is OT.
Old 18th January 2012, 19:30   #10170
Senior - BHPian

While returning from Manas on our Sunday meet, I saw a Swift DZire lying in a ditch on the left. The roof had been smashed and the front left had been badly damaged. An Innova was parked on the side, just before the DZire. I slowed down and pulled over onto the shoulder, but the DZire was abandoned, nobody inside. So carried on.

Would a tyre pressure monitoring system help in minimizing tyre bursts, or at least providing advance intimation of a tyre losing pressure?

If a tubeless tyre 'burst', I don't think you would have time to pull over. Depending on the severity of the burst the tyre may or may not be able to support the weight of the car.

I remember many years back one rainy night as I drove home from my Powai office along with three friends in my M800 (Michelin tubeless), I accidentally scraped the divider which had a sharp edged stone. There was a lound noise, as if a cracker exploding and I sensed something wrong with the steering. I was doing pretty slow speeds, around 15kmph or so, and halted slowly. After I got down I saw the front right tyre flattened. Since it was dark, I jacked up the car and changed the tyre. Next day morning when I went to the tyre shop and inspected the tyre, it had a fist-size hole in it.

Point is, if this happened at expressway speeds, the tyre wouldn't hold air for more than a second or two, plus the shock from the explosion would be enough to upset the balance of a car doing high speeds.

Last edited by honeybee : 18th January 2012 at 19:35. Reason: Adding comments on tyre burst

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks