Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2014, 23:13   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100kmph View Post
Can anyone comment on how to move a car without a handbrake without rolling backwards? I am facing this problem in lights where there is a slope. The car in question is a 1966 Fiat 1100D.
Only practice will help you. For few times rather than waiting for lights in brakes try to stay in clutch with slight rev (a little over idle). Do not rev too much which could burn clutch a little. This will help our brain to calibrate and register the thresholds of engine rpm, clutch and vehicle positioning.

If you feel nervous do the same in parking lot or any slope where it is free of traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post

I have only one question to people who are suggesting to keep a stone behind the rear wheal, who will clear all those stones from the road?
May this is the luxury of being in india or idea to give job to the vulcanizing guys.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th January 2014 at 00:42. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option within 30mins.
Old 26th January 2014, 23:51   #32
BHPian

Re: Hill Climb Technique - For Cars (Front Wheel Drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Was this because the Omni is rear wheel driven ? I have had difficulties in similar situations in my Esteem although that has more power and torque.
Yes Omni is rear wheel driven which helps because of weight transfer onto the rear wheels during climbing an incline.
Another reason could be Omni is a light weight vehicle as compared to the engine output ie More Power/Weight ratio...

Guys, Please dont use stones to stop your car on an incline because nearly 99% of the time no one bothers to clear those stones on the road and its a potential hazard for bikers like me especially on an incline. Also if its a single guy driving a car how can he lift the stone after the car has moved further. The guy has to be genuine enough to come back walking after he parks the car on proper ground a difficult scenario in hilly areas.

Best technique is the hand brake technique. It saves the life of the clutch and also ensures better control against roll back on a steep inclines. For less steep inclines or where there is nobody behind you, you can try by using just the clucth and brake. (Half clutch method). As you cannot use the hand brake method if you drive in hilly areas daily as you will encounter inclines all day long, how many times would one use hand brake method?
So use your judgement when to use the handbrake and when not to.

Another technique which I use to better the hand brake technique is ...

My car has a tachometer, I apply the hand brake and release the clutch a bit. This cause the tachometer to show the drop in engine rpms. This gives a clear cut indication that the clutch has engaged. As soon as the tachometer needle starts moving downwards I release the handbrake, release the clutch and step on the gas.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2014, 17:51   #33
BANNED

Please do not attempt heel and toe / handbrake techniques for the first time on what is probably the narrowest, twistiest and steepest ghat section (road mentioned in the OP) in south india with cars behind you (maybe inches to spare at times) and cars stalling to the front of you.The stone is the lesser of the harm that can be caused in such extreme situations. Even with experience, when you are stalled in a twisty part of the very narrow ghat curves or inches away from the car behind you, it is safer to use a stone to start off, or put yourself, your family, your car and the car behind you ( if there is one) to serious risk. Removing the stone can be done after the car is brought to safer ground.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2014, 21:52   #34
BHPian

I have faced the same problem , like many others here , with the Hills of North India in general . As we love Hill stations , this has become a routine embarrassment with my Manza , which is heavy , and has huge turbo-lag . So much so that I plan the inclines of the city malls well in advance , so that it does not stall over there with 100 cars honking at me !!
I use the hand-break technique now , which works quite OK for city malls , and not-so-steep inclines of the Hills ; For others , I simply choose a place to stay over my Hill trips , that are conveniently located :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks