Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Government invites Suggestions on Road Safety

Ban all those uncovered trucks carrying sand / mud / stone. On windy days (or, any day) it is quite difficult for fellow 2 wheelers to follow these trucks even after wearing helmet. I feel like being slapped by the mud / sand whenever I go behind them.

In any of the other countries I visited I couldn't find any trucks carrying goods that are left uncovered.

OT: (Mods, please remove this post if it is completely OT and makes no sense)
Other than road safety, why not Govt look a step ahead in traffic offense? Why do we have laws and regulations? To reduce the offense or point out them? Coming to the point,
- Instead of charging the fellow 2 wheeler guys for not wearing helmet, why don't they sell him a piece of helmet on the spot?
- Instead of charging for defective number plate, they could install a new one
- Instead of charging for sun films, they could remove it and then charge for it
- They could issue Insurance on the spot for vehicle caught without / expired insurance

Lot many such things could be listed.
I know how difficult is this, but we don't ask them to do all these free of cost, appoint some private agency to support them. This could add some new employment too.

What say?
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 16:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Phone jammers? Come on, even those who do not drive shouldnt use phones?

If roads are designed and laid scientifically, many accidents wouldnt occur.

There is no use trying to penalize public for not using helmet/seat belt etc, which is most probably the direction the said committee would take.

A bus toppled over and killed speople. Human error was minimum. The road is the main culprit. Whom will one punish - the R & B? or hapless driver?

However, it is good that the Govt is making an effort to listen to the public on how to improve safety on roads.

I have seen a trend of late - blaming everything on not wearing helmet / seat belt. Not wearing these may damage the people but these are not the direct causes of accidents. If a rider doesnt wear a helmet and sustains fatal head injury, while it is unfortunate, is not the cause nor his not wearing helmet wouldnt endanger other people's lives. .

Emphasis should be on safe driving practices, not challaning for not using safety accessories.

The Ad says the written comments should not be disclosed to any one and that the committee's decision will be final. Instead of having a debate on where we are faltering, this says we shouldnt talk about it.

Way to start !!

Last edited by simplyself : 5th July 2012 at 16:45.
Old 5th July 2012, 16:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Since the 15 day period had not elapsed, I did send an email highlighting many points.
Lets see if it goes to the trash folder ...

1. Municipal corporation or whichever govt agency involved in the upkeep of the road and surrounding environment shall be held responsible for the road accidents due to road unworthiness.
2. Any driver of the vehicle found engaged in mobile phone conversation during the accident shall forgo any insurance claims, also attempt to murder/murder in cold blood charges should be pressed again such driver.
3. Pedestrian or cyclists if found engaged in mobile phone conversation during the accident shall forgo any claims of insurance.
4. In case of Driver / vehicles found unworthy (eg no driving license, inebriation, vehicles lights malfunctioning, tyres worn out etc), the corresponding RTO and the local traffic police shall also be fined for allowing such instances.
5. Road dividers, speed-breakers, lighting etc shall follow fixed standards, (refer point 1). Any individual or organization involved in modifying the roads or surroundings shall be fined
6. Enforce minimum safety features on all street vehicles like Airbags, rear view mirrors, tubeless tyres etc. Manufactures should not be allowed to offer low cost variants by removing safety features.
7. Regular Night time breath analyzer tests on highways / potential speed way in the cities.
8. Driving under influence should be treated the same as attempt to murder
9. Jaywalking by pedestrians and cyclists should be treated as a punishable offence (incidentally, this will also bring in huge hitherto untapped revenue)
Old 5th July 2012, 17:22   #19
F50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government Invites Suggestions on Road Safety

Aren't 15 days period up? If not what is the last date of sending suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Issue licences the way Finland does. This one step can improve road safety by leaps and bounds.
I got my US license by reading 100 odd pages book, twice. Gave a computer based 25 questions test. Two weeks later gave a 30 mins driving test in torrential downpour. The test included all driving rules in the book plus driving over inclines, downhills, hidden stop signs, 1.5 mile 15mph zones and what not.

Its not possible to have such extensive test in our country because of the sheer population. But at least we can have 25 questions test and 15 mins driving test. Need to ensure that everyone know the laws inside out.
Old 7th July 2012, 22:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government Invites Suggestions on Road Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Aren't 15 days period up? If not what is the last date of sending suggestions?

I got my US license by reading 100 odd pages book, twice. Gave a computer based 25 questions test. Two weeks later gave a 30 mins driving test in torrential downpour. The test included all driving rules in the book plus driving over inclines, downhills, hidden stop signs, 1.5 mile 15mph zones and what not.

Its not possible to have such extensive test in our country because of the sheer population. But at least we can have 25 questions test and 15 mins driving test. Need to ensure that everyone know the laws inside out.
Everything is possible in our country - only thing which is a problem is the lax attitude of the public. And because of this lackadaisical attitude we believe that our law enforcement should also be similar.

we only need to understand that Driving license is not a right - but a duty and one should be qualified for it
Old 26th December 2012, 13:29   #21
BHPian

I am new to Team BHP and just stumbled upon this thread. (Needless to say, I am a car and road safety nut)

So just curious, were any suggestions sent to the parliamentary committee on behalf of TeamBHP as the initial discussion on this thread suggest? Were there any replies from the committee?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks