Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 11:27   #136
BHPian

Re: Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post

I realized that many times it is just a leap of faith. Highways like NH17, from Mumbai to Goa are especially bad at night because of the large number of bends and curves.
Thanks for admitting that it’s a leap of faith sometimes. Even I’ve taken that leap of faith once-never did it again. Please either take a stop or slow down a lot with your hazards on if you can’t see ahead.
We should depend on logic and good sense to preserve our life; not on faith!
Old 31st July 2022, 15:28   #137
BHPian

Main issue found on Indian highways is that most of the drivers use high beam lights with modified bright lights and may also have additional lights installed, they dont know when to go low beam. Earlier most of the truck drivers used dipper at night to give opposite vehicles a view of road now such drivers have reduced.
Old 10th August 2022, 11:55   #138
BHPian

I dont know if it has been highlighted earlier but I have a question around the expansion of "DRL" LED lights in all vehicles (2, 3, 4 + wheelers) which throw a straight light, mostly blinding to those opposite to them, daytime or night time. I find that it is very difficult to see the road ahead of you when these so called DRLs with very bright lights are coming opposite of you, especially when driving on unlighted roads. Are these even legal? Is there a governance around it? what does MV act say about it?
Old 11th August 2022, 10:46   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.sriram1989@gm View Post
Main issue found on Indian highways is that most of the drivers use high beam lights with modified bright lights and may also have additional lights installed, they dont know when to go low beam. Earlier most of the truck drivers used dipper at night to give opposite vehicles a view of road now such drivers have reduced.
They still do that, but not in the early night when other unruly traffic exists. In the last week of March I had some very costly and delicate equipment being transported to Goa from Pune, and the transporter wanted some one accompanying the truck, Just for the heck of It I decided to go myself. The drivers (two driving alternately) kept to high beam on straight stretches, but used low when we approached a LH curve, when lights would be aimed into the oncoming lane, but post Kolhapur which we crossed around 2 AM he took the route through Gaganbawda- Karul Ghat- Taleri where we got onto the completed 4 lane part of Mumbai Goa Highway.
Here the road was empty and winding with a oncoming vehicle after a minute or more. The driver kept to high beam, but before every curve he dipped went back to high and again dipped, and waited for response from oncoming vehicle, if there was one, he either slowed down to idle speed in 2nd gear with only outer two lights on low for the oncoming vehicle to cross, or if oncoming vehicle flicked and went to low beam, crossed at normal speed, with both usually going back to high at crossing point.In the entire 4 Hrs or so it took to cross these 100 km we crossed a few 100 trucks or buses and less than 10 cars. Only 2-3 trucks / buses did not dip while passing each other, but half the cars were either on low and driving blindly, and others were on high, with only one or two following the protocol. Most bigger vehicles did not use the Horn either. There was only one instance where one Ertiga was driving fast in the center of the road when he flashed him, then blared the very loud air horns, the startled guy braked and suddenly moved left two wheels on the shoulder. The idiot had probably fallen asleep at the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtonsing View Post
I dont know if it has been highlighted earlier but I have a question around the expansion of "DRL" LED lights in all vehicles (2, 3, 4 + wheelers) which throw a straight light, mostly blinding to those opposite to them, daytime or night time. I find that it is very difficult to see the road ahead of you when these so called DRLs with very bright lights are coming opposite of you, especially when driving on unlighted roads. Are these even legal? Is there a governance around it? what does MV act say about it?
DRL's are compulsary, but focussed ones are not allowed, secondly they are supposed to switch off when one puts on the parking light or headlight.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 11th August 2022 at 10:53.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 15:31   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
On the Highway
Attachment 1039462

• Drive at a much lower speed than you would on the same stretch during the day. Due to poorer visibility, it's difficult to anticipate unwanted obstructions well in advance.

• Night driving requires a higher level of alertness. Remain sharp & focused. Also, it's not as easy to judge the speed of oncoming vehicles at night. Overtake only when 100% sure.

• Keep blinking ever so often. Don’t let your eyes dry up.

• Don't focus on a single object or the same part of the road / markers for an extended duration. You might suffer from highway hypnosis. Keep moving the focus of your eyes every couple of minutes (More Information).

• Be extremely cautious at junctions as they are difficult to spot at night. With no traffic lights, drunk and callous motorists are known to just drive through intersections, without any regard for others.

• Use the day / night feature of your internal rear view mirror if the headlamps behind (from the following car) are blinding you. I prefer to switch them back to day mode after the situation has improved, as day mode provides a better view of what's happening behind.

• Along with a mild honk, flash your high beam during overtaking. This will sufficiently communicate your presence & intention to the other vehicle.

• If you need to make an emergency stop (e.g. puncture), move your vehicle as far off the road as possible. Keep your parking lights on and activate your hazard lights. If your car has a reflective warning triangle, place it at least 40 meters behind your car to warn oncoming motorists well in advance.

• Be conservative with your refueling plans. A majority of petrol pumps shut shop after midnight. Filling the tank up as soon as it reaches the 40 - 50% level is a good idea.

Thank you, GTO for this much-needed post about night driving!

One of the things that I have found to be super useful is to keep Google Maps always on. It shows you the turns and bends and which way the road would turn and when you are driving at night, that is very very useful.

I always make sure that my Google maps are on even if I know it is just the same highway for the next 150 km. It will show you which way the road will turn in the next 50 or 70 m and it gives you perspective so you know what to expect!

Guidelines & Tips for Safe NIGHT Driving-bhp-map.jpg

Also better to have scheduled stops, maybe every hour or 90 mins. You can have tea if a shop is available, else just get out, walk around and stretch your body. When you do a physical state change, your mental, and emotional also changes along with it. Don't wait to feel sleepy to take your breaks.

Have someone you can talk to on the phone if you really feel sleepy but you still need to drive. We all have that one friend who will shout at you for driving at night but would still be available on call to talk to you or help you out.

All highways have emergency numbers. When you pass the board with the numbers, make a note of it. It might make a huge difference if something happens.

Carry a powerful torch with you always, along with the other standard warning signs and reflectors.
Old 2nd January 2023, 09:09   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post

Attachment 2395717

Have someone you can talk to on the phone if you really feel sleepy but you still need to drive. We all have that one friend who will shout at you for driving at night but would still be available on call to talk to you or help you out.
Talking to someone over phone has two problems:
1)Talking on phone itself is a distraction
2) Speaking with someone does not prevent sleep
StopUnderrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 09:28   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StopUnderrides View Post
Talking to someone over phone has two problems:
1)Talking on phone itself is a distraction
2) Speaking with someone does not prevent sleep
I completely disagree. Maybe you did not understand the context. I wasn't talking about high-speed driving on highways. I mean, when you are talking to someone, you definitely should not be doing high speeds on the highway or anywhere. When I do high-speed driving, forget my phone, I don't even talk to people in the car.

I was speaking from my experience. Maybe your experience has given you different observations, which is also fine.

Last edited by chipsnchops : 4th January 2023 at 09:31. Reason: Some changes in the text
Old 25th January 2023, 04:18   #143
BHPian

This thread was started 10 years ago. It would be certainly interesting to see if POV of forum members has changed, specially the original commenters who commented in 2013 considering the advancement in technology and roads in India.

I prefer to drive at night when I don’t have my family with me and I prefer it only on a route that I am very well aware of which in my case are :

1. Pune - Nashik - Indore
2. Hyderabad - Pune

I prefer driving at night because frequent night shifts have made me comfortable staying awake at night, infact I feel drowsy during daytime.

Positives for me are: Less traffic hence, less annoyance on roads at night time. No unnecessary check posts where policemen can be found waiting for out of state number plate cars to extort money (specially in Maharashtra and Karnataka)

IMHO truck drivers are way more well versed with driving mannerisms on highway than many “well educated” car drivers.

Steps I take to not feel drowsy: I don’t have a heavy dinner before travelling and ensure that I had rest before travelling. I keep a spare bottle of water to wash my face, a packet of face wipes and and tea in my flask.

I maintain a decent speed and avoid over speeding as it further strains the eyes. I pre download podcasts I like to listen to and a playlist I made for night drives that I like to sing along (hence I travel alone at night to spare my family members of my horrendous singing capabilities ). In an event i start feeling drowsy I stop at a well lit toll post and take a Power Nap of 10-15 mins.

Call me crazy but, I love the feel of night and driving in night, the peace you feel when you are driving down highway listening to music accompanied by The illuminated cities/towns you can see from far off is like therapy to me. I mean yes, I do understand that you can’t see the scenery that you can during day time and then there are other safety aspects but night has a different charm for me

Cheers!

Last edited by BleueNinja : 25th January 2023 at 04:44.
BleueNinja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2024, 15:12   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post

Call me crazy but, I love the feel of night and driving in night, the peace you feel when you are driving down highway listening to music accompanied by The illuminated cities/towns you can see from far off is like therapy to me. I mean yes, I do understand that you can’t see the scenery that you can during day time and then there are other safety aspects but night has a different charm for me

Cheers!
I second this.

Most of our semi-annual Mumbai - Coimbatore trip, starts at night, providing the enjoyment of breezing through Lonavala Ghats, Satara Ghats, the lonely Satara - Kolhapur 4 lane, the widest Belgaum - Hubli roads. With a soul filling music of my choice, this is surreal and never drains me.

And I also noticed, no matter what time you are crossing Kolhapur, there is always at least one bike rider riding along. Even at thick of night!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks