Team-BHP > Road Safety

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2014, 17:40   #16
BANNED

re: Celerio: Maruti going cheap on Safety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Of course we have that choice.

But with Government's intervention, the companies will mass produce air-bag component (as well as other safety components) resulting in 'em being cheaper to us, the end consumer and benefiting everyone.

A mass produced component is always cheaper than a niche.

It has to be. A bloke can buy an i Phone 5S for 50K+, but he won't spend 5K to buy a good helmet. This is where we need to change & with Government's intervention and awareness, that can be changed.

And companies like Ford & MUL should be asked by Government that when they equip cars with the same engine, why lower the braking parameter & tires? (Case in point being Swift & Figo)
+1,

When the iPhone is released, people cue up at the stores for shelling out 50K but 100 thought when investing on riding gear, giving reasons that we hardly drive fast so why riding gear and all.

Mentality needs a change after which only we can safer cars. I will say that the structure must also be beefed up along with the safety features included in ALL variants sold.

I can see a sun that is rising on the automobile arena, waiting for sunshine!

Anurag.
Old 16th February 2014, 17:59   #17
BHPian

My suggestion: Project ABS and SRS Airbags as fashion accessories, market the badges aggressively and make them aspirational. That will do more wonders than any half hearted attempt to educate.
aroop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 23:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

When previous Swift had an option of ABS in VDI for additional 20K, 80% of the buyers preferred to save the 20K. So, why blame the manufacturer?

When I advised one of my friend to go with Swift ZDI instead of VDI, his response was "I drive only in City", so ABS/Aribag is not required

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
One of my colleague wanted to buy new car and he usually consults me before looking for any car. Recently there was an Ad of Ford reducing Classic Fiesta price by 1L. When checked the car features it was missing safety features like, Airbag, ABS.
So, I insisted my colleague not to buy it. Asked him to wait for some more time if he is currently limited on budget for buying highend variant (with all safety features).
Top end classic comes with both Airbag and ABS.
Old 16th February 2014, 23:13   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
When previous Swift had an option of ABS in VDI for additional 20K, 80% of the buyers preferred to save the 20K. So, why blame the manufacturer?
When I was looking for a diesel hatch I had short listed the Ritz VDi ABS, the SA says driving speeds are low why do you need ABS Saar!

You can save the 20K and put it for Audio!

Anurag.
Old 16th February 2014, 23:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
When I was looking for a diesel hatch I had short listed the Ritz VDi ABS, the SA says driving speeds are low why do you need ABS Saar!

You can save the 20K and put it for Audio!

Anurag.
Is it that dealers get more profit on a non-ABS model? I have seen dealers pushing for non-ABS models multiple times.
Old 16th February 2014, 23:34   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Is it that dealers get more profit on a non-ABS model? I have seen dealers pushing for non-ABS models multiple times.
That is what I am suspecting else why would one leave a higher paying customer.

May be they are given targets for each variant with the most being non-ABS models.

Anurag.
Old 16th February 2014, 23:51   #22
BHPian

I think India is coming off the age of the car revolution.
Flashback 10 years.
For the average Joe car was a luxury. With increase in average wealth and govt policies (road networks, ease of bank loans), cars are now more affordable and accessible. Look at how the industry is growing and international manufacturers are making a beeline. Cars usage has also transformed from luxury to family carrier to weekend drives. Many self employed and salaried people can own a car which was of course out of reach few years back for the same stature. In one way their road safety is much better just by upgrading to a car from two wheeler.
While much of this happening there is no policy change. Govt is taking a nap when it has to step in and bring in some serious regulations with regard to car safety.
Last week in Bangalore - Chennai highway near Krishnagiri , I saw 6 persons in a very basic car driving at 80+ speed. Forget about ABS/EBD, I am sure the car won't have even seat belts for 6 people. I agree that its more secure that them doing triple riding in two 100CC bikes.
While most of the manufacturers offer these as options in top variants, I am sure there would be a few takers due to the pricing factor. I think the time has come to make some of these safety features mandatory. I agree that the car prices would shoot up drastically especially in the largest selling hatchback segment and can possibly slow down the industry growth. There would be a lot of noise, lobbying and hiccups to implement these but there is no other way out.
Old 17th February 2014, 03:37   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh!Oxygen View Post
I agree that the car prices would shoot up drastically especially in the largest selling hatchback segment and can possibly slow down the industry growth. There would be a lot of noise, lobbying and hiccups to implement these but there is no other way out.
I agree on what you write but..

The government and manufacturers must put their foot down and provide all safety features in all variants as Standard.

The sales will drop for a month or two after which things will get normal. Till the foot is not put down we can keep talking here pages on pages. All have to get the awareness as to what can safety features do.

Anurag
Old 17th February 2014, 13:47   #24
BHPian

Re: Celerio: Maruti going cheap on Safety?

I will for Volkswagen to introduce airbags as standard fitment in all polo variants. But why after news of highest selling cars in India being proven by NCAP? Why the same treatment is not there for Vento?

Coming to marketing ABS, I am happy that TVS has done that. Not is very great way, but yes. They tried it.

Couple of weeks ago, I visited Maruti showroom. The SA himself was confused between ELR & ELR with pre-tensioner. He was considering both as same. After this, I asked him to pull out service manual of swift, and used it to explain him the differences.
Old 17th February 2014, 20:33   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
I will for Volkswagen to introduce airbags as standard fitment in all polo variants. But why after news of highest selling cars in India being proven by NCAP? Why the same treatment is not there for Vento?

Coming to marketing ABS, I am happy that TVS has done that. Not is very great way, but yes. They tried it.

Couple of weeks ago, I visited Maruti showroom. The SA himself was confused between ELR & ELR with pre-tensioner. He was considering both as same. After this, I asked him to pull out service manual of swift, and used it to explain him the differences.
The airbags have been made standard after the NCAP tests that were conducted on the basic variants of the cars choosen where the Polo got 0 out of 5. VW Vento was not put in that test hence no affect or addition done to Vento.

Appreciate the move by VW to make it standard and I hope ABS is also made standard to make some sense. At least they responded and made an effort unlike other manufacturers who told "we are meeting the regulatory standards!"

The SA's are trained to sell the car but hardly have any deep kmoeledge on what they are selling. You'll hardly get a few sales guy who know the car inside out.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 22:59   #26
BHPian

It is unacceptable to have safety equipments in only high end and then complaining that people buy only low end ones. That is like saying, buddy if you can't cough up extra dough, you better endanger your life. The safety features should be standard, it should be the first layer of features, not the last. That will actually make people go for the low mid range variants rather than lowest variants. High time we had NCAP type standards I guess. This market always prefers fringe features like nice interiors, looks blah blah, more than engineering or safety. It is a sad state. Personally I really like the Celerio, but the fact that they are saying, AMT or safety , not both, is disturbing. Especially given that the AMT is not too costly w.r.t manual. They really made a good move with the A Star AT ABS
Old 9th March 2014, 00:14   #27
BHPian

I happened to witness the car which was on showcase in our office premise.
I was awestruck looking at the quality of the metal. It is just thin tin sheet used, just tap with your finger and you will feel as if you are taping on the plate. Press the dashboard with single finger you can see the waves forming.

Forget about airbags even GOD will not save in case of collision.

NCAp has made mandatory to airbags. What about the cage? Which is basic of any car design.
Old 9th March 2014, 18:28   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchanna View Post

I was awestruck looking at the quality of the metal. It is just thin tin sheet used, just tap with your finger and you will feel as if you are taping on the plate. Press the dashboard with single finger you can see the waves forming.

NCAp has made mandatory to airbags. What about the cage? Which is basic of any car design.
Till these NCAP ratings were done, I don't think people knew the condition of these cars when crashed. Thanks to these ratings we have come to know their structural integrity.

The main problem is "Kitna deti hai?" If this question is answered then people don't care of the cage. FE is the main reason people going for Celerio and to make things more focused on FE, Maruti says 23.1 kmpl + driving comfort, people just jump into the showroom with their cheque books.

I will attribute this situation to lack of awareness + affordability + no pressure from GOI, hence manufacturers are milking the situation to the maximum.

Anurag.
Old 9th March 2014, 18:43   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Till these NCAP ratings were done, I don't think people knew the condition of these cars when crashed. Thanks to these ratings we have come to know their structural integrity.

The main problem is "Kitna deti hai?" If this question is answered then people don't care of the cage. FE is the main reason people going for Celerio and to make things more focused on FE, Maruti says 23.1 kmpl + driving comfort, people just jump into the showroom with their cheque books.

I will attribute this situation to lack of awareness + affordability + no pressure from GOI, hence manufacturers are milking the situation to the maximum.

Anurag.
+1 . In fact the current generation of several best selling models of Maruti have very thin metal. The prev gen Swift is way better than the current gen in terms of metal sheet thickness.

Worst of the lot is the new Alto. Absolute rip off. Probably my desktop's cabinet has thicker metal than it. However, the only exception is Ritz which I feel has got good thickness and not tinny.

OT : Although the maintenance may not be cheap and mileage may not be as good as Alto 800, I'd recommend an Eon over Alto 800.
Old 6th May 2014, 21:07   #30
BHPian

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Celerio Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion on the review thread.

AStar was rate 3/5 by Euro NCAP (see link below). Any idea if Celerio has been rated by NCAP anywhere?

http://www.euroncap.com/results/suzuki/alto/362.aspx

Last edited by GTO : 4th June 2014 at 10:32. Reason: Adding link to official review
Closed Thread

Most Viewed