Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2014, 12:52   #31

Re: Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised

This thread is old but I thought of adding current news which would bring some cheer to all Indian drivers who would like to zoom their vehicles at higher speed without violating rules.

It's official that cars can drive at a maximum speed of 100 kmph and motorcycles at 80 kmph.

Please see the timesofindia news link to read more.
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2Run View Post
This thread is old but I thought of adding current news which would bring some cheer to all Indian drivers who would like to zoom their vehicles at higher speed without violating rules.

It's official that cars can drive at a maximum speed of 100 kmph and motorcycles at 80 kmph.

Please see the timesofindia news link to read more.
100 is the max allowed speed, which means the speeds mandated in Kerala would still stay. The local authorities still have the power to determine the speed limits in their region. The way I see it, this rule change is only going to add an upper limit to it.
Old 3rd January 2016, 08:01   #33
BHPian

There is no further post after last year; what is the situation on ground now? We are driving through Kerala Bangalore-Poovar-Trivandrum-Alleppey-Guruvayur-Coimbatore-Bangalore later this month. Don't want to pick up tickets! Cheers
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
There is no further post after last year; what is the situation on ground now? We are driving through Kerala Bangalore-Poovar-Trivandrum-Alleppey-Guruvayur-Coimbatore-Bangalore later this month. Don't want to pick up tickets! Cheers
Trivandrum - Alleppey NH47 speed is 70KM/Hr I think, pretty sure it is not 80 or 100 KM/Hr. I got 2 tickets on 2 different occasions for speeds 82 KM/Hr and 81 KM/Hr.
Old 3rd January 2016, 17:20   #35
Team-BHP Support

I drove to Cochin and back last week. I saw 70 posted here and there. It was not clear but I noticed most people following some speed (unusual in Kerala) and followed it. The madness starts between Trissur and Palghat where the roads are not monitored
Old 4th January 2016, 06:47   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Trivandrum - Alleppey NH47 speed is 70KM/Hr I think, pretty sure it is not 80 or 100 KM/Hr. I got 2 tickets on 2 different occasions for speeds 82 KM/Hr and 81 KM/Hr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I drove to Cochin and back last week. I saw 70 posted here and there. It was not clear but I noticed most people following some speed (unusual in Kerala) and followed it. The madness starts between Trissur and Palghat where the roads are not monitored
4 lane national highway - 90 kmph
2 lane national highway - 85 kmph
City - 50 kmph
State Highway - 80 kmph

But do watch out for police interceptors between Thrissur - Cochin airport, Vytilla - Kundanoor and Aroor - Alleppey.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2016, 20:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Also watch out for speed-cams between Kayamkulam & Kollam - there are atleast 3 that I am aware of, 2 around Oachira. This is apart from the interceptors, that can be anywhere.

I got a Rs400 speed challan home last week for doing 72kmph on my CBR near Oachira (max for bikes is I guess 70kmph). I usually stay within the limits, more so in the speed-cam areas, not sure how I missed this time.
Old 10th February 2016, 21:23   #38
BHPian

Kerala is ahead in implementing speed cameras. I dont think we have any in Karnataka. There is one on KIAL expressway but dont think it works. I have seen one on Mysore ring road but dont know if it works.
Old 11th February 2016, 01:38   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yes, while rest of the country builds good roads, Kerala keeps the roads crappy and instead invests on speed-cams.
Good revenue model, because after riding/driving on bad roads for long, when folks see a good stretch of road, they let rip, only to end up paying hefty fines.
supremeBaleno is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 08:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes, while rest of the country builds good roads, Kerala keeps the roads crappy and instead invests on speed-cams.
Good revenue model, because after riding/driving on bad roads for long, when folks see a good stretch of road, they let rip, only to end up paying hefty fines.
Pretty much agree with you on this. Find my rants on the same http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3834788

In short, Rules are to be made for people not the other way. Looking at some positives, the south part of NH47 is getting better. It is quite a breeze now to travel to villages down Tvpm. Appreciate these efforts. I hope at least by 2025 I can travel 400 km in Kerala under in under 6 hours, now its around 9.5 hours. Posting pics for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised-capture.png  

Attached Images

Old 14th April 2023, 08:32   #41
Senior - BHPian

Below is one of the capture from my very recent ride from Trivandrum to Muvattupuzha via Volvo low floor bus. Folks who're familiar with the notorious MC Road: the Volvo did several motorcycle stunts as well {but I personally admire the driver's skill}!! I'm in disbelief that the speed limit in certain stretches is 90 Kmph!! Will the concerned authorities dare taking action against the KURTC (old KSRTC) buses for such speed violation or would it be exempted from selective few?

Kerala: Speed limit on highways and 4-lane roads revised-55ba46e2b129446d8e9fe974c91e7b10.jpg

Note: I'm yet to capture the fun from Minnal

Last edited by aargee : 14th April 2023 at 08:53.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 12:27   #42
BHPian

While driving to Kerala from Hyderabad a couple of months back, I was warned by friends in Kerala of speed cameras between Palakad and Trissur. I was told that the cameras capture the rear license plates. Has any out-of-station vehicle got challaned in Kerala for speed-limit violations?
Old 16th April 2023, 12:51   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
While driving to Kerala from Hyderabad a couple of months back, I was warned by friends in Kerala of speed cameras between Palakad and Trissur. I was told that the cameras capture the rear license plates. Has any out-of-station vehicle got challaned in Kerala for speed-limit violations?
Yes, there could be. Please check below discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Recently when I checked Vahan site for something, found out my TN registered car had been blacklisted by Kerala MVD due to non-payment of Speeding ticket.

Went to Palakkad in Dec 2021 and wasn't aware of speed cameras setup back then.

Thrice within 6 mins - 8:30 AM, 8:33 AM & 8:36 AM for around 100 KMPH between Vattapara & Athurasramam, an expensive 6 mins @ Rs.4500/-!

Never got the notice earlier. Asked for the notice in email and they sent me 3 with clear details. No point arguing, just paid.

Checked Telangana site for any fines during my Hyderabad trip around the same time, thank God! have none.
rx100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 14:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. One of my friends who is a regular on the Blr-Cochin circuit, driving a KA car has the status as ‘blacklisted’. Each time he ends up paying upwards of 3K as fine. And yes, the proof he gets is a capture from the rear.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 17:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had one fine on my KA registered Safari from the Walayar - Palakkad stretch. Got to only when I checked the Vahaan app. There was a blacklist against the vehicle.

Had to call to a RTO number that was there on the message, get a login ID and password and then make the payment. Blacklist got removed in couple of hours.
HappyWheels is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks