Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 17:20   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Safety Video: Don't leave children behind in a parked car!

Found an interesting video:
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 14:39   #62
BHPian

Hyderabad Parents Went For Breakfast, Left 3-Year-Old Inside Locked Car

Quote:
A three-year-old girl screaming and crying inside a locked car was freed by a crowd in Hyderabad on Wednesday while her parents were allegedly having breakfast at a hotel.
The family was driving to Bengaluru when the parents stopped for breakfast at Shamshabad on the outskirts of Hyderabad. The child was sleeping, so they apparently decided to leave her in the car parked outside the eatery.
What were the parents smoking

Quote:
The little girl woke up to a stifling, empty car and started wailing. Within moments, people noticed the child crying in the backseat of the black car......
http://www.ndtv.com/hyderabad-news/h...ed-car-1455735

Last edited by rselva : 8th September 2016 at 14:40. Reason: Added Source link
rselva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 14:47   #63
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Parents Went For Breakfast, Left 3-Year-Old Inside Locked Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselva View Post
What were the parents smoking
Read it this morning and was thinking the same as well. Its common in the West for people to leave their dogs in the car within parking lots when they go for shopping but there to people have broken the window panes and got the animals outside. There have also been instances of deaths (both animals and humans) due to asphyxiation when they were left in the car with the windows all rolled up and even the AC not working.
Old 8th September 2016, 17:57   #64
BANNED

I keep checking on my year old daughter sitting alone in a chair next to me. I can't believe these kids left their daughter in the car!

Even though we know many things, I think people should be informed/reminded about a lot of safety aspects of using a car. When issuing a license, people should be tested on these things also. After all, handling the steering and changing gears isn't the only thing about driving. No offense meant to anyone.
manojraja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:29   #65
BHPian

Wow! Just wow! This malaise has started spreading wings in India too? In the ol' US of A, this would have been charged with child endangerment....
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 10:09   #66
BHPian

I have experienced a similar situation when I was young, say 12 year old. At that time we used to own a Santro Zipdrive. My parents went for grocery shopping and myself and younger sister chose to stay inside the car with AC on as it was a hot summer. After some good 15 minutes I heard a knock on my window. A passerby alerted me of the smoke coming from the bonnet. Me being a car guy right from young age managed to turn the car off by turning the keys.

The car over-heated and it was about to seize. Thank goodness we avoided being trapped in a burning car.
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 10:16   #67
BHPian

Taking the parent's side here, this happened with my 3 yr old nephew in 2010 (left in the car when sleeping). Difference being, we were having dinner instead of breakfast in this case.

We had driven all the way from Nasik to Pune in the morning, did sight seeing in the morning, watched an IPL match in the evening and then went out to have dinner around 9.30pm. Everyone was dead tired and my nephew was so fast asleep that he wouldn't even wake up to have his dinner.

So, we left him in the car with all windows lowered just a couple of inches so there is always some ventilation. Also, There was no question of increased temperatures as it was night time.

Car was parked right in front of our eyes 10 steps away from where we were having dinner.

But still, some noisy truck traffic managed to wake him up halfway through our meal and he ended up crying in the car for a few minutes before we noticed him.

We all felt that this was our only remaining option and we made sure that we always kept an eye on the car. And found nothing wrong with doing such a thing.

What are your thoughts on this one? Many here would have faced similar situation some time in their lives when traveling inter city with small kids. Feedback welcome.
Old 16th September 2016, 18:22   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quoting your own post to highlight the difference between yours and the one mentioned couple of posts above -

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

1.We left him in the car with all windows lowered just a couple of inches so there is always some ventilation. Also, There was no question of increased temperatures as it was night time.

2.Car was parked right in front of our eyes 10 steps away from where we were having dinner.

3.We all felt that this was our only remaining option and we made sure that we always kept an eye on the car.

In the Hyderabad incident mentioned in news article above, it is mentioned that a crowd had to force open the door. Which clearly means that the parents were no where around.

Apart from the risk of asphyxiation (which may be avoided by lowering window panes a bit) , you should be worried about kids moving inside the car and accidently disengaging gear / hand brake.

Inspite of you all seated next to car, as mentioned it took few minutes for you to notice the kid awake.

Quote:
But still, some noisy truck traffic managed to wake him up halfway through our meal and he ended up crying in the car for a few minutes before we noticed him.
Old 16th September 2016, 19:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

What are your thoughts on this one? Many here would have faced similar situation some time in their lives when traveling inter city with small kids. Feedback welcome.
A week ago I returned to Bangalore from Harihareshwar on a drive that took around 20 hrs. I had my wife and 2 twin boys , aged around 6 yrs with me.

The last break we took was around 11 pm and they were fast asleep. I went in the restaurant , had some coffee while my wife was in the car. Then I returned , was right next to the car stretching my legs and she went in.

I would suggest having at least 1 adult inside the car or right next to it in such cases. It does take more time this way , but it's safer as well.
sdp1975 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 20:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
A week ago I returned to Bangalore from Harihareshwar on a drive that took around 20 hrs. I had my wife and 2 twin boys , aged around 6 yrs with me.

The last break we took was around 11 pm and they were fast asleep. I went in the restaurant , had some coffee while my wife was in the car. Then I returned , was right next to the car stretching my legs and she went in.

I would suggest having at least 1 adult inside the car or right next to it in such cases. It does take more time this way , but it's safer as well.

I always follow the same principle. One adult is a must if there are kids in the car and a definite NO to driving with the kid on the lap. I just can't understand those parents who would do anything for their children but risk their lives by doing something that stupid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks