Team-BHP - Nissan Micra, Sunny to be recalled over faulty airbags
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Nissan Micra, Sunny to be recalled over faulty airbags (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/156904-nissan-micra-sunny-recalled-over-faulty-airbags.html)

Japanese carmaker, Nissan is likely to recall 9,000 units of the Micra hatchback and Sunny sedan in India over faulty airbags. Cars manufactured between 2008 and 2012 will be eligible for this recall. The development is a part of a global recall involving 250,000 units of the Note, Micra (March), Sunny (Almera / Versa), Patrol and Cube.

The company claims that there is a defect with the driver airbag inflator. This component will be replaced with a new part by Nissan dealerships at no cost to the customers. The airbags have been manufactured by Takata Corp, the world's second largest supplier of airbags and seatbelts. Takata airbags are also used by other manufacturers. Toyota and Honda are among the manufacturers who have issued recalls for their vehicles to rectify the same problem.

Source: Economic Times

Omg! Many people spend much to just get the Airbag and this is what the companies offer their customers. Consumer laws should be much more strict against such lapses especially in terms of safety components. In case any of the owners of these cars did suffer injuries after an accident due to the airbag malfunctioning, the law would do nothing in a country like ours and even worse would be the response from insurance agencies and if there was death, nothing more to be said. Such lapses need stringent legal actions and it's sad to see companies like Toyota & Honda showing lapses like this.

Though recalls are ever increasing and the companies are ready to correct the issues, such issues should never happen at all in the first case!

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmuzik (Post 3563916)
Though recalls are ever increasing and the companies are ready to correct the issues, such issues should never happen at all in the first case!

Well brother there are so many things in the world that are faulty and those go unnoticed or are never recalled. There would be no such thing in the world that is without any defect. From worms in chocolates to NASA's spacecraft crash; there are things which do go wrong.

At-least the car manufacturers recall the cars! However it is also true that the Airbag unit should have been tested before being distributed to the manufacturers.:) Funny thing is that most of the cars sold here are more dangerous than the Takata's faulty airbag unit. But who is complaining! :uncontrol

Takata is facing a lot of heat over faulty airbags even in the US. There have been quite a few recalls of vehicles in the US of late.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...alls/17896821/

Yes - Takata airbags have been in the news for the wrong reasons lately.
It appears that the defective inflator parts (metal) could potentially shoot metal fragments into the occupants in the event of a crash - like shrapnel!:Shockked:
Frightening indeed!
Posting an interesting link on the subject-
http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavSam (Post 3563931)
Well brother there are so many things in the world that are faulty and those go unnoticed or are never recalled. There would be no such thing in the world that is without any defect. From worms in chocolates to NASA's spacecraft crash; there are things which do go wrong.

At-least the car manufacturers recall the cars! However it is also true that the Airbag unit should have been tested before being distributed to the manufacturers.:) Funny thing is that most of the cars sold here are more dangerous than the Takata's faulty airbag unit. But who is complaining! :uncontrol

Definitely yes. But when products are sold in the open market and when they even boast about the safety, such things should be taken extreme care of. If you see, this particular company has been in the news more than once offlate. As you mentioned, because most of the people here aren't even aware of airbags, such things go hardly noticed. But EU and American markets might react much more sharply! As I said, something like a falling off trim seems to be more bearable than an airbag failure. lol:

Nissan Micra and Sunny recall (Faulty airbags), article in Indian Express Bangalore 26 Oct 2014

epaper Link

Direct Link to article

I just spoke to my SA today, at Nissan Delhi. He told me that VIN List has been received from Nissan Motors India. They will be contacting individual owners, and allocating time slots. He also mentioned that they are able to process a maximum of two (2) cars a day, given the complexity of the work involved.
Will post further updates!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shady_lawyer (Post 3564392)
I just spoke to my SA today, at Nissan Delhi. He told me that VIN List has been received from Nissan Motors India. They will be contacting individual owners, and allocating time slots. He also mentioned that they are able to process a maximum of two (2) cars a day, given the complexity of the work involved.
Will post further updates!

Last time around Nissan had put up a link where we could check if our car was part of the recall by entering the VIN number. Isn't it the same this time around? How do I make sure that Nissan dealership itself doesn't act lazy and skip a few cars. As it is I do not have much faith in its dealerships. Which dealership did you go to in Delhi?

@DrMohitG

Sir, I posted a reply, but I guess it got lost. Nissan is yet to update its website and let owners self check if their car is part of the recall. The voluntary recall information link, still goes back to the earlier brake cylinder issue.
I share your apprehension about the dealerships, but apart from pursuing them I don't foresee an alternative.
My car goes to M/s Sterling Nissan, the S.A. there has been extremely nice to me so far (touch wood). I can share his number if you'd so prefer, however the workshop is in Gurgaon.
Also Sir, i'm yet to visit the dealership, I only spoke to him over the phone and he told me, that he will get back to me telling me if my car was part of the recall (they are contacting individual owners in any event). I'll post an update on this thread, the moment they get back to me.
@mods-could you delete the earlier message if it's still in filter?

:Shockked:

First it was faulty brake master cylinder, now it is faulty airbag inflator! So all the basic safety goes for a good toss. And sheet metal thickness has already gone all the way to Antarctica. God save the occupants, myself included.

Happy that they are recalling, but when is it bound to happen? Last time I had been after them to replace the Master Cylinder instead of they calling me.

I guess my Sunny (2011 build) is part of this recall. No communication yet from Nissan India. Surprising, because once such news makes it to the press, the company should do everything it can to calm down its customers. Not everyone understands cars like we do. Typically shoddy management by Nissan on a problem that can lead to injury or death.

Having experienced its awful dealerships first hand, I'm also uncomfortable with them carrying out a repair that could prove too complex for them. They're poorly trained as is. Hoping against hope that Nissan (for a change) shows some competence in carrying out this recall exercise properly.

Will keep this thread updated with developments from my end.

Cars like the Corolla have been recalled for airbag faults in India, yet they had the superb after-sales network backing them. I'd be much more comfortable sending my car to a Toyota dealer than Nissan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3565320)

Will keep this thread updated with developments from my end.

GTO any news about this? My Sunny is early 2012 and according to the press release might be part of the recall. But I haven't got any call from Nissan yet.

After many an e-mail from me, the customer care responded and wanted my contact number and vehicle registration number. Once they called, they wanted the VIN, which I had provided in the first instance in my e-mails. Allergic to e-mails? Okay whatever, after checking, they mentioned that mine is not under the recall and I can enjoy the car! I insisted that they put the VIN-check on their website.

The recall is for cars made between 2010 and 2012 but I'm not sure exactly how they classify among those. Mine is an Oct-2012 according to the VIN but Jan-2013 as per registration.

After two persistent weeks of follow up, with M/s Sterling & Co., the car went to Gurgaon yesterday at 9.30 AM. The entire procedure took about 5 hours and a 'clamp' used in mounting the airbag was changed. I will post some details here just as soon as I speak to my S.A. as just what all they have done.
It was disclosed that every dealer has the VIN List and (horrors) they are required to call in cars individually! So I fear for a lot of owners an entirely painless process has been needlessly complicated.

I must however disclose all knowledge is second hand as it was my father who had to take the car over and I'm posting what he told me took place in the workshop.

Name of the Workshop-Sterling Gurgaon
Quality of work-through and professional, no visible scratches or dings, though they took the car at 9.30 and it was ready only at 4.30 PM.
Cost-NIL