Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2015, 13:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti considering safety features even for small cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.......leaving features and options aside completely, are aware that their vehicle may be intrinsically, structually, less safe than the same vehicle sold in another country.

This is what the original thread had at its core. Is there any real news of real change?
Thanks for pointing that out (AGAIN!). The debate isn't about bits and pieces of add-on equipment (ABS, Airbags etc.) at all, though manufacturers are trying their best to steer it that way.

I'm yet to see an explanation from manufacturers (not just Maruti) about the missing/removed/redesigned structural bits in Indian versions of globally sold cars, and what (if anything) they're doing to fix that. If the basic shell itself is compromised, the presence or lack thereof of add-on bits is a moot point.

Degrees of cost-cutting may differ, but adding ABS/Airbags to (Indian) Swift is no different to adding the same bits to the Datsun Go. Both have compromised shells ultimately, quality standards notwithstanding.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th April 2015 at 13:24.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 18:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti considering safety features even for small cars

Maruti Suzuki mulls offering safety package as option in mass brands.
Quote:
Ahead of government's vehicle safety norms set to kick in 2017, country's largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) plans to introduce features like airbags and anti-lock braking system as an option in its mass market models.
Quote:
MSI is looking to offer the safety features even on entry-level variants of its models, including Alto800 and AltoK10, as an option keeping in mind the price sensitivity of the segment

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...rands/49439872

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th October 2015 at 18:11.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 21:18   #18
BHPian

Well Maruti's action is clearly a result of the government's vehicle safety norms that are set to kick in 2017. Otherwise why did their chairman defend Maruti cars after the crash tests and tried to put the blame elsewhere and didn't have an iota of remorse? 'Laato ke bhooth bato se nahi mante.'

In the coming months we'll be seeing similar 'voluntary' safety steps from other manufacturers as well.
Old 19th October 2015, 10:14   #19
BHPian

It could actually be a good idea for most manufacturer to start offering safety package as an option at a certain delta price increase. This will make the market more accustomed to the price hike that is eventually going to come with mandatory safety norms.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 10:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

I'm happy that we're slowing witnessing the change. The recent launches like Ertiga have Driver airbag as standard. Other safety features are standard on all other variants except lowest.

As per reports, even Baleno is supposed to have safety features as standard.

Swift getting ABS in V trim is also a good start for small Maruti cars.

Let's hope the next iterations of their cars have stable shell structure as well. If a market leader like Maruti starts taking steps towards safety, we can pretty well be assured that half the country will own safe cars by the next 10 years.
blue_pulsar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 11:32   #21
BANNED

Maruti Alto 800 and K10 to Get ABS and Airbags

Quote:
For people not in the know, the government of India is planning to impose stricter vehicle safety norms and mandatory front and side collision tests for all new cars from October 2017. And to pass these tests, a car will necessarily require some basic safety features such as airbags and anti-lock braking systems.

So before the new safety norms come in place, Maruti Suzuki India wants to ensure that even the base models of its vehicles get dual airbags and anti-lock braking system (ABS). Interestingly, the company is now considering to offer airbags and ABS as an option feature with its Alto range (Alto 800, K10) as well.

The recently launched*Maruti SCross facelifted Ertiga have also received this safety package. While all the variants of the S-Cross get these features as standard offerings, the Ertiga facelift's base trim gets it as an option. The company's much-awaited premium hatchback, the Baleno, too will get dual airbags and anti-locking braking system + electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD) as standard features.
SOURCE: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/id-1234247
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2015, 14:05   #22
Team-BHP Support

I wish they'd do away with the 'driver airbag only' nonsense while they're at it.

Maruti actually removed the passenger airbag from the Wagon-R in its latest iteration, and replaced it with the 'amazing feature' cooled glovebox. Why does the passenger need a potentially life-saving safety feature when they can die with cold cans of fizzy drink smashing into their faces/bodies instead? Makes perfect sense, right?

Ruined a very practical proposition in the 5 lacs on-road segment with ABS & dual airbags with their quest for more 'features'.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 02:42   #23
BHPian

"even" for small cars

As if small cars do not require safety features. I am not sure why do we have to wait till 2017 to get safety features for us Indian citizens or for the so called mass.

What will happen during the two years in between? We will remain unsafe ? What is stopping us from receiving the safety features now when they are available across the developed nations elsewhere.
imove is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 07:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
I'm happy that we're slowing witnessing the change. The recent launches like Ertiga have Driver airbag as standard. Other safety features are standard on all other variants except lowest.

As per reports, even Baleno is supposed to have safety features as standard.

Swift getting ABS in V trim is also a good start for small Maruti cars.

Let's hope the next iterations of their cars have stable shell structure as well. If a market leader like Maruti starts taking steps towards safety, we can pretty well be assured that half the country will own safe cars by the next 10 years.
The new safety norms in line have surely pushed the manufacturers for such steps. And in due course time, I am sure Maruti will raise its safety standards, which what they suggest, are higher than set by government of India currently.

Will be sure only if these results are made open for public access like NCAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imove View Post
"even" for small cars

As if small cars do not require safety features. I am not sure why do we have to wait till 2017 to get safety features for us Indian citizens or for the so called mass.

What will happen during the two years in between? We will remain unsafe ? What is stopping us from receiving the safety features now when they are available across the developed nations elsewhere.
If everything could be done immediately, we could have been changing cars as we change our mobiles!

Research and Development takes time. And I am sure, the new safety norms would not have been thought of during the design of upcoming models, leading to increase in thier projects timeline.

But we know, after 2017, no one could sell the structurally unsafe vehicle.

OT.
Just one question, how do we decide the safety of a vehicle. At 80-100kmph these are useless. And in India, at least in North side, everyone is in a hurry. Also on highways, "How can a bus overtake me?" Let's overtake that bus going at 90kmph and show him his place
Ashir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 08:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Good of Maruti to contemplate providing Safety option for small cars. I hope in future, they are also able to give an AMT option on every variant of the car.

Hopefully they will also upgrade to ESP, 6 Airbags in their higher cost model, least on the top end ones.

Safety given a lot more importance these days that what was a year back.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashir View Post
Research and Development takes time. ... ... ...
I would agree that changing materials specifications, parts, production line procedures does take some doing, but R&D? That is already done --- for the models sold in other countries.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 02:55   #27

Let me give you an example of how Maruti views safety as a priority for its hatchback offerings. I was in the market recently for a 4-5 L car and had essentially been looking at just Marutis for their ASS. However, I was keen on at least 1 airbag as a safety feature, and this is what I learnt.

The Alto 800 no longer comes with an airbag. Although the website and the brochure shows an airbag as an option in both LXI and VXI, they haven't been available to dealers since at least last year. The WagonR has an extremely tempting VXI O option with dual airbags and ABS but is available only on demand which means a waiting period of at least 2-3 months with no dealer commitment. Next, I inquired about the Celerio, and found out that for some reason Maruti has refused to give a single Re as discount on the ZXI options (at a time when it's doling out upto Rs 35,000 for the WagonR). As a result the ZXI with single airbag came at Rs 5.15 L on road, and the ZXI O with dual airbags and ABS for a whopping 70,000 more - both versions grossly overpriced. Finally had to settle for an Alto K10 VXI O with single airbag - but only because of a stroke of good fortune of a single piece being available in that dealer's stockyard.
So essentially even if a customer looking to buy his first car does go ahead and put safety a priority, he's actively dissuaded by MSIL. In fact the sales reps at one of the dealers even had the temerity to dissuade me from insisting on an airbag, saying that it's only required for extensive highway usage! Another sales rep, brazenly went a step further by claiming airbags to be just a gimmick which aren't really of much use as they either don't open at all, or open at the wrong times.
Needless to say, both reps got an earful from me. But a closer analysis revealed that the top end versions of MSIL's entry hatchbacks actually account for a very small share in the sales. In most cases, it's the LXI versions which are bought, with MSIL's gimmicks of 'option packs' including seat covers, music systems and rear spoilers being projected as a much better deal than getting the top end versions with the stock accessories. The only thing that gets missed out is an airbag. But then Maruti doesn't care, because sadly, not many of their customers do.
Old 22nd October 2015, 07:11   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I would agree that changing materials specifications, parts, production line procedures does take some doing, but R&D? That is already done --- for the models sold in other countries.
Yeah, the research might have been done, but development ? Sourcing of Raw Materials in India, vendor upgradation, making tool dies again for high tensile parts, etc.

Won't it be better, if instead of putting so much human resources and money in old gen model, the same are utilised in the next gen, which already must be made to clear the tests by 2017!

The scenario is completely different if we consider the models being exported from here. For at least these models, Maruti should replace the Indian version, especially the body shell.

Though, I don't know any such particular model. IMO, none of the models are exported to Europe, which have stringent crash test requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitanRex View Post

But then Maruti doesn't care, because sadly, not many of their customers do.
Bitter truth. Us here, are very much aware and informed. But what portion we constitute of the total customer base for the industry.

But things are changing, people are getting aware. I say this because a leading OEM has started proving safety features in optional.

Last edited by Ashir : 22nd October 2015 at 07:21.
Old 22nd October 2015, 08:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitanRex View Post
But then Maruti doesn't care, because sadly, not many of their customers do.
Looks like you didn't as well since you considered the Celerio Zxi options to be overpriced even though they were the only cars in the entry range to come with dual airbags and ABS.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming you as one has to look at the budget as well when it comes to buying anything but Maruti can't be a charity here when people themselves are miserly when it comes to safety.
Old 22nd October 2015, 15:50   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki mulls offering safety package as option in mass brands.

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...rands/49439872
I'm not sure if my voice will ever be able to reach the ears of our illustrious Minister for Transport. However, I just had a thought regarding how can the Government "nudge" the manufacturers to start offering ABS and Airbags across their models.

What if there was a "rebate" offered on the Excise Duty/VAT/Road Tax levied for each car which comes with these safety features? This might ensure that the cars start having these features prior to 2017 as well ensure that the price increase might not be too much?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks