Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2016, 18:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 twins get dual airbags across the range, Sportz (O) variant discontinued

For sure, it's a welcome news!

It's bit overwhelming to say Maruti created this mindset. In reality, Maruti started to offer safety equipment (ABS & Air-bags) after being criticized heavily for their loose stand on safety as exposed by their ridiculous comments.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3579873

Nissan Micra & VW POLO started offering Dual Airbags as standard across all trims long before Maruti. Nissan did so right from start and VW adopted from late 2014 itself. Though they are not leaders by sales, at least they have shown their efforts for respecting safety!!!!
Pam81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 19:15   #17
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 twins get dual airbags across the range, Sportz (O) variant discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
Can someone please shed some light on the difference between the projector lamps on the top end i20 and Baleno. Are the ones on Baleno HID? Are they better?
Yes, the Baleno has a HID bi Xenon setup which is considerably better than the halogen projector setup on Hyundai s (Creta, Verna and i20 twins).

Although you can upgrade to HID system aftermarket by installing a HID kit for ~10k in the existing halogen projector. Some members have done it on their Cretas.

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 5th January 2016 at 19:16.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 20:45   #18
BHPian

Dual Airbags as standard is surely a welcome move from Hyundai. Adding ABS would have made things even sweeter. Is there any amount of price hike too after this addition?

On a side note, the more expensive Creta does not get a single airbag in its base variants. I'm sure once the YBA compact SUV from Maruti is launched and the sales of Creta slow down a bit, they'll again add dual airbags in Creta as well like they've done now in i20. My question being for Hyundai India, why not be proactive and add it right away before the competition gets ahead and then you make efforts to match them.
Old 5th January 2016, 22:19   #19
BHPian

Good move. Started by Polo, pressurized by Baleno.

IMO, the following should be standard on all cars,
1. At least 2 airbags
2. ABS
3. Rear wash, wipe, defogger
4. Driver seat height adjustment
5. Rake and reach adjustment for steering

The bottom 3 are major active safety features that get a miss in almost all the cars in lower variants. Retrofitting them after purchase is also a difficult job.

Last edited by theredliner : 5th January 2016 at 22:21.
theredliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Well done, Hyundai! We rejected the i20 in favour of the Polo recently, precisely because the Asta was too expensive and the passenger airbag was a must have.

This segment has turned out to be hugely safety conscious over the last year or two. The Polo kicked things off with their "Safest hatch in India" tag after the NCAP tests, the Baleno offers dual airbags and ABS in every variant, the Figo top end is the cheapest car you can get with six airbags and now the i20 has joined the party too. Heck, half the discussions about the Baleno after launch were on how safe it is. Regardless of what your opinion is on that, the very fact that buyers care about this issue is a sign of how quickly the Indian market is maturing and leaves the manufacturers no choice but to step up.

Ask and ye shall indeed receive!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 00:57   #21
BHPian

What a shame. I just got my Elite i20 Asta (O) on Jan 3. Not that the DRLs and Projectors are a deal breaker - but they would still be nice to have.
Old 6th January 2016, 09:39   #22
BHPian

Welcome move though I feel short changed. At least the projector HL should have been available from day 1 as a standard fitment or at least as an optional accessory. The current HLs are not upto the task IMO.

I will drop in to the showroom just to see the reaction of the staff who told me that the projector HL from Active cannot be retrofitted onto Elite.

Anyone here have a quote for the projector HL setup?
Old 6th January 2016, 10:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai learning and how !

Until last year, MSIL was blamed in the forum for missing out on safety features while other players to some extent were offering both active and passive safety features in their cars.

Hyundai, though provided several features in i20 as well in Verna; they started deleting them (6 air bags, all disc brake setup etc.) from various trims. The height was removal of day-light mirror with recent facelift.

It is more a reaction to the lost position to MSIL and rather quick as Hyundai has witnessed what can happen if they do not react immediately (fate of Verna, which is a very competent car).

If they can share the same auto-box between Elantra and Creta, they must get it for Verna too. A 4 speed auto-box for a 1.6 litre brilliant engine is a crime and should be corrected at the earliest.

There is a sudden drift towards automatics in India and Hyundai must catch up with competition.

Improvement in safety features is a welcome move, adding ABS in lower trims with further generate interest among buyers.

God bless competition !

Last edited by i74js : 6th January 2016 at 10:14.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 22:41   #24
mxh
BHPian

I wonder why basic safety features haven't been made mandatory by the authorities in India. In countries like US, the rules are stringent and apply to all vehicles, including ABS, Airbags, traction control, crash tests and EPA mileage ratings that are actually realistic and achievable. And cars there are much cheaper than in India.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 06:33   #25
BHPian

I would've happily bought the Sportz model if this was done a month ago!.I went in for the Asta(o) mainly because I wanted the additional airbag.Getting the Sportz and then adding a set of alloys and a good AVN seems the smarter thing to do now.
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed: Hyundai i20 twins to get dual airbags as standard

It has been officially confirmed by Hyundai that dual airbags are a part of standard equipment in the i20 duo. This addition doesn't translate into a higher starting price.

In addition to airbags, the Elite i20 will be equipped with projector headlamps, LED DRLs and cornering lamps in the Asta (O) variant. The Sportz (O) variant has been dropped. Phantom Black is the new body colour added to the range.

The Elite i20 will be offered in 5 variants - Era, Magna, Sportz, Asta and Asta (O), while the i20 Active is offered in 3 variants - Base, S and SX.

No changes have been made to the engine or transmission options.

Ex-showroom Delhi prices for the Elite i20 are:
Era: P - 549,350 | D - 660,520
Magna: P - 607,332 | D - 718,763
Sportz: P - 660,509 | D - 775,427
Asta: P - 712,424 | D - 824,372
Asta(O): P - 748,948 | D - 860,898

Ex-showroom Delhi prices for the i20 Active are:
Base: P - 659,721 | D - 784,361
S: P - 731,416 | D - 856,054
SX: P - 806,084 | D - 930,719
S2!!! is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 19:31   #27
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think they should also make ABS as Standard across all variants. About time. Unless of course they already have.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 21:24   #28
BHPian

Re: Confirmed: Hyundai i20 twins to get dual airbags as standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
This addition doesn't translate into a higher starting price.
The changes have been introduced on MY 2016 for which the prices have already been up.

The Press Release says
Quote:
New Delhi, December 09, 2015: Hyundai Motor India Ltd. (HMIL), the country’s largest passenger car exporter and second largest car manufacturer today announced the price increase across all its models up to Rs 30,000.
Commenting on the price hike, Mr. Rakesh Srivastava, Sr. Vice President, Sales and Marketing said, “In these challenging market conditions, we are constrained to consider the price increase on account of factors like increase in cost of components, weak rupee etc. The proposed price increase up to Rs. 30000 will be effective from January 2016 across all models including Elite and Creta.”
I guess they already did maths in jacking up prices according to costs.
Old 3rd February 2016, 10:53   #29
BHPian

Earlier i20 used to come with 6 airbags. It was a shocker when new i20 (Elite) came up with only 2 airbags and that too on the higher variants. Eventually other manufacturers (Maruti, Ford) started beefing up their cars with airbags as standard across all variants or as option. It was stupid of Hyundai to delete them at first place. Perhaps too much over-confidence on their part.

Finally Hyundai wakes up. God bless competition and safety aware consumers !!!
xs2mayank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 15:54   #30
BHPian

This is my first post in the forum, thought of sharing these official pictures of 2016 Elite i20 with the Projector headlamps and LED DRL. Kindly forgive me if these were posted earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 twins get dual airbags across the range, Sportz (O) variant discontinued-2016hyundaielitei20frontthreequarterunveiled.jpg  

Hyundai i20 twins get dual airbags across the range, Sportz (O) variant discontinued-2016hyundaielitei20dashboardunveiled.jpg  

Hyundai i20 twins get dual airbags across the range, Sportz (O) variant discontinued-2016hyundaielitei20frontunveiled.jpg  

Hyundai i20 twins get dual airbags across the range, Sportz (O) variant discontinued-2016hyundaielitei20rearunveiled.jpg  

Debajyoti is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks