Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2016, 02:56   #1
BHPian

Fact-check : Derestricted Highways in India

A few facts in an article 'No Limits: Derestricted Highways of the World' published with a big automotive website called the 'Autoblog' stuck out and I couldn't believe my eyes. It prima facie looks like irresponsible journalism. So I request my fellow members to help me with the fact-check :-

Article facts list
  • Those include Karnataka, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana – all of which have refrained from imposing speed limits on light passenger vehicles.
  • In Maharashtra, even most classes of heavier vehicles that are subject to speed limits are still allowed to travel at up to 124 miles per hour (200kph approx) – except for multiple trailers that can “only” be towed at 93 mph (150 kph approx).
  • But where the right combination of vehicle and highway exist, a good third of the India's constituent states will permit driving flat out.

Fact-check : Derestricted Highways in India-abcapture.jpg

Autoblog article link

Last edited by johannskaria : 15th February 2016 at 03:12.
johannskaria is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 04:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Fact-check : Derestricted Highways in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
A few facts in an article 'No Limits: Derestricted Highways of the World' published with a big automotive website called the 'Autoblog' stuck out and I couldn't believe my eyes. It prima facie looks like irresponsible journalism. So I request my fellow members to help me with the fact-check :-

Article facts list
  • Those include Karnataka, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana – all of which have refrained from imposing speed limits on light passenger vehicles.
  • In Maharashtra, even most classes of heavier vehicles that are subject to speed limits are still allowed to travel at up to 124 miles per hour (200kph approx) – except for multiple trailers that can “only” be towed at 93 mph (150 kph approx).
  • But where the right combination of vehicle and highway exist, a good third of the India's constituent states will permit driving flat out.

Autoblog article link
Quite interesting to see that Wikipedia agrees with what the article you have quoted says . Quoting directly from Wikipedia for reference.

Source: Wikipedia

Quote:
Speed limits in India vary by state and vehicle type. Lower limits than the ones specified can be set by local governments. All speed limits are in km/h.
Fact-check : Derestricted Highways in India-statewise-speed-limits.jpg
Quote:
In 2007, a law was proposed to set a nationwide 100 km/h speed limit for cars and 65 km/h for motorcycles, but not implemented.

It is common to see speeds of 100–120 km/h on expressways, of which there are very few in India, the most notable being the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. Motorcycles are not allowed to use expressways. The speed limit on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway,Delhi-Agra Highway, Delhi- Jaipur Highway, Delhi-Chandigarh Highway is 80 km/h. Bangalore's Airport expressway, opening in 2008, will have a design speed of 130 km/h.

Speed-limit enforcement in India is almost non-existent, although recently highway police have begun to use automated instruments which capture the speed and mail the fine to the car's owner. Failure to pay may result in doubling of the fine, cancellation of the driving license and even arrest. Police are now also using wireless PDAs to identify a driver's or vehicle's history. 85th percentile speed is adopted for safe speed limit at zone. 98th is for highway geometric design. 15th percentile speed is used as minimum speed on major highways.

The recently constructed Outer Ring Road in Hyderabad is designed for speeds up to 120 km/h. However few vehicles can reach speeds of well over 160 km/h, making it one of the fastest expressways in Asia.

Just did a quick check for Telangana specifically though, and it seems that the state government recently changed the speed limit. Quoting the article again for easy reference.

Source: Indian Express

Quote:
HYDERABAD: The state government has fixed speed limit for vehicles moving on various roads. The maximum speed allowed on state highways is 80 km, according to orders issued by the departments of transport and roads & buildings here on Friday.

The Government Order was issued in compliance with a Supreme Court’s directive. The apex court had constituted a committee on road safety in 2014. The committee made certain recommendations to states for implementation of measures for road safety. One of the recommendations is issuance of a notification fixing speed limits for driving on national and state highways, and fixing of signage boards.
Also, came across a news video from V6 News on YouTube which confirms this. Posted the link to the video, as well as a screenshot of the part which shows the revised speed limits, and confirms the previous news article I posted.

Fact-check : Derestricted Highways in India-speed-limit.jpg

I think 80 kmph is too restrictive on 4-6 lane highways though. This is my opinion, and I'm aware that some people may disagree with me, but I think that on 4-6 lane highways, the speed limit should be 120 kmph. Having a lower speed limit than that on smaller highways makes sense, and in the city of course it should be 60 kmph or less, depending on the kind of road.

These are strictly my views, and do not wish to start an argument with anyone. I'm glad that Telangana has set some kind of limits though, because saying there are no limits in a country like India, is absolutely suicidal with some of the drivers we have on the road, who have no sense of road rules, and don't care about others' lives at all. I hope the other states who have not set speed limits follow suit shortly.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 08:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
I think 80 kmph is too restrictive on 4-6 lane highways though. This is my opinion, and I'm aware that some people may disagree with me, but I think that on 4-6 lane highways, the speed limit should be 120 kmph. Having a lower speed limit than that on smaller highways makes sense, and in the city of course it should be 60 kmph or less, depending on the kind of road.
As far as I remember the ORR has a speed limit of 120 kmph. Over and above that, you will notice that on the Bangalore-Hyderabad highway, as long as you are within the Andhra border, you won't encounter any speed breakers Personally I love Hyderabad in comparison to most cities when it comes to being able to drive yourself.
Old 15th February 2016, 10:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Facts -
Bangalore Nice Road has speed limit of 120Kmph. on NH4 between Haveri and Chitradurga, you can always fine speed interceptors. The general speed limit at which they don't catch you is 100Kmph. Both are in State of Karnataka.

Note this is different than the facts stated in the articles/ wiki !
abirnale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 10:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Talking of speedlimits, attaching a pic from 2007. This is a 2 lane highway between Chittoor and Tirupati
Attached Thumbnails
Fact-check : Derestricted Highways in India-1455510985417.jpg  

speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 10:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Very few Highways in India have a speed limit beyond 80 KMPH - National Expressway 1, Yamuna Expressway, Hyderabad Outer Ring Road, NICE Road etc.

However, this article is a hogwash. Not having a speed limit sign doesn't invariably mean that you can drive as fast as you can. Like many have mentioned, you get greeted by a lot of interceptors all of a sudden that catch you by surprise when you have hit something near or above the 3 digit mark.

By default, unless otherwise stated, It is safer to assume that the speed limit for our Indian Highways is 80 KMPH.

The vigilance is quite less in the state of Maharashtra when you compare that to Karnataka. I am yet to come across a speed interceptor in the state of Gujarat. Both MH and GJ Highway witness densest private traffic and have lots of stretches where you could speed (NH8, Mumbai-Pune Expressway) but both these have a limit of 80 KMPH.

In Karnataka, the moment you know its a lovely straight & empty stretch to drive, you can expect the Interceptor there or may be in the next few months.
paragsachania is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 10:59   #7
BHPian

I'd take this info with a pinch of salt. The Delhi-Chandigarh highway for example has a speed limit of 90kmph and not 80 as mentioned. I've been ticketed on that highway once for driving at 94. The limit is actually 70, I believe, from the ring road in Delhi to the delhi border and 60 on the ring road. Just because there are no signs doesn't mean there are no limits. I'd be very surprised if 200 is the actual limit on any highway in India.
sharninder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 14:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I'd take this info with a pinch of salt. The Delhi-Chandigarh highway for example has a speed limit of 90kmph and not 80 as mentioned.
This portion of NH1 and most other National Highways in Haryana have a speed limit of 90 kph. Even on NH10 the enforced speed limit is 90kph.

Gurgaon Faridabad state highway, although 4 lane dual carriageway has a speed limit of 80kph.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 15:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This portion of NH1 and most other National Highways in Haryana have a speed limit of 90 kph. Even on NH10 the enforced speed limit is 90kph.

Gurgaon Faridabad state highway, although 4 lane dual carriageway has a speed limit of 80kph.
Gurgaon-Faridabad SH is 65 kmph in few patches... be careful with the speeds in certain parts. I have seen interceptors 1 out of three times on this route.

And any road in Delhi to border is 70 kmph. My father was travelling in a taxi once & the poor chap was fined for little over 70 kmph little before Narela border.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 16:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Huh, so which roads in Maharashtra allow 200 kmph speeds?

From the site:
http://www.mahatranscom.in/faq.aspx

34 Is there any speed limit to drive the vehicle?

No person shall drive a motor vehicle in any public place at a speed exceeding the maximum speed.
Class of vehicles ............................Speed limit Km/hrs
Light motor vehicle (Non transport) ...No limit
Light motor vehicle (Transport ) .......65
Motor cycle ..................................50
Passenger/goods vehicles ................65
Medium / Heavy vehicles .................65
Trailers ........................................50

Looks like someone has played a prank on the Wikipedia!
Even then, I think the "no limit" against LMV non transport is not entirely correct.

Last edited by alpha1 : 15th February 2016 at 16:37.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 21:42   #11
BHPian

It all really seems like a grey area.
No wonder even the navigational softwares have no speed limits in India!
I too was quite surprised by the lack of information/official notifications from the respective transport departments available to update myself on this.
Old 16th February 2016, 11:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Gurgaon-Faridabad SH is 65 kmph in few patches... be careful with the speeds in certain parts. I have seen interceptors 1 out of three times on this route.
Yes, the speed limit is enforced on this road through Interceptor speed guns, but always on 80kph limit stretches, never on 65kph curves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks