Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2016, 13:56   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Government will make safety norms more stringent, but no plans to make airbags mandatory

Imposing Safety.

Yes, it can be done.

In my mother country, both drinking/driving and, later, seat-belt laws were greeted, with horror, as massive impositions on basic human rights. So what happened? A combination of educating people, and imposing penalties that hurt happened. With almost total success.

Now, the vast majority of people buckle-up without even thinking about it, and the drinking driver is looked down on as the offender against society standards, let alone law. Of course, one never scores 100%. If that happened, the police and the courts can all stay at home. But a country can score enough to make the difference; enough to change sufficient numbers of peoples' understanding of normal.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 14:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government will make safety norms more stringent, but no plans to make airbags mandatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Imposing Safety.

Yes, it can be done.

In my mother country, both drinking/driving and, later, seat-belt laws were greeted, with horror, as massive impositions on basic human rights. So what happened? A combination of educating people, and imposing penalties that hurt happened.
How many years did it take for it to become the norm?
Old 20th August 2016, 14:34   #33
BHPian

We can't blame manufacturers here. They are profit oriented with shareholders to answer to and are not charitable organizations. Market leader should set example blah blah sounds good but that's it.

Just think about it - if for whatever reason their sales drop due to increased prices with compulsory airbags, the share price comes down and then it's a corporate issue. What if you and I held these shares?

This has to come from the government. Just like the seatbelts and tinted windows. Period.
Old 20th August 2016, 15:21   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
How many years did it take for it to become the norm?
I'd have to ask google for the dates, but not that long. However, the policing was serious, rather than a few days of crackdown and then forgetting it for a while.

Real change takes a generation. It is the point at which people start teaching something to the children.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th August 2016 at 15:23.
Old 20th August 2016, 16:28   #35
BHPian

First step has to be taken by the Govt by bringing the strict laws for manufacturing of the cars and have safetly features like airbags, ABS installed. Then it comes to implementing them by not allowing the car companies to flout the laws. Then it comes to the people who buy the cars, needs to be more aware of the rules, and should abide those rules. All if put in place India can move upwards is safety standards chart. Keeping fingers crossed.
sourav.info111 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 17:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav.info111 View Post
First step ...
First step should be the law and implementing it. Manufacturing changes cannot be done overnight: law can (well... ok, not quite).

They have, I think, made a start by bringing some of the fines up to date. Implementation should be a little gentle to begin with, so people get the idea, then constant and consistent.

Then the manufacturing can catch up. People will start demanding it anyway.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 17:36   #37
BHPian

As we are discussing safety here, copying my post from another thread here.
Mods, please delete if multiple posting is not allowed.

And here comes the most anticipated statement from Maruti Suzuki.
A check mate move and a well planted one.

Indians Don't Care About Safety, Says Maruti Suzuki's Data

http://www.cartoq.com/indians-dont-c...-marutis-data/

Create a situation and put a blame on us the buyers, that we Indians Don't care about safety and only run after Kitna Deti Hai!

Common Maruti Suzuki!
Can we make our noise heard to counter this misleading statement.?

Exerpts :
The data released by Maruti says that buyers don't give a damn about safety features, even if the said feature is very affordably priced.*For instance, Maruti offers a driver's side airbag across Alto 800 variants.*Maruti says that only 5 % of Alto 800 buyers opt for the optional airbag, which is priced at just 6,000 rupees.

To think of so many Altos on Indian roads without a basic safety feature such as an airbag is unnerving. Even in case of the WagonR, another top seller, only 15 % of buyers opt for the airbag equipped variant. For its part, Maruti offers airbags either as standard or as an option on almost all its cars sold in India, barring the Gypsy and Omni.

However,*only 37 % of buyers opt for cars that have ABS and Airbags.*In fact, most of this 37 % is made up of the Baleno and Vitara Brezza – two Maruti cars that come with safety features as standard.*Car buyers in India don't seem to care for safety features in India. Perhaps this is the reason why car makers build less-safe (when compared to the developed world) cars for the Indian market.
Old 20th August 2016, 17:58   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Imposing Safety.

Yes, it can be done.

In my mother country, both drinking/driving and, later, seat-belt laws were greeted, with horror, as massive impositions on basic human rights. So what happened? A combination of educating people, and imposing penalties that hurt happened. With almost total success.

Now, the vast majority of people buckle-up without even thinking about it, and the drinking driver is looked down on as the offender against society standards, let alone law. Of course, one never scores 100%. If that happened, the police and the courts can all stay at home. But a country can score enough to make the difference; enough to change sufficient numbers of peoples' understanding of normal.

I keep watching this excellent TV Serial set in 1960's Yorkshire, Inspector George Gently.
Its amazing how many things happen there, which in today's "Politically Correct" Britain, would be considered downright violations of Health and Safety, Human Rights, Vehicle Safety, MOT Violations and whatnot...
And the funny thing is that as far as the cars and smoking and similar things are concerned, I remember many similar things in India, from the 1970's when I was a kid.

In terms of increasing the stringency and applicability of Safety Laws and Car manufacturers adopting them, it is going to take time.
Old 20th August 2016, 23:52   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Its amazing how many things happen there, which in today's "Politically Correct" Britain, would be considered downright violations of Health and Safety, Human Rights, Vehicle Safety, MOT Violations and whatnot...
in 1960, I was 8. By the time I passed my UK driving test a couple of decades later (learnt three times, took two tests) we didn't even consider driving off without the seatbelts fastened in the front. Back seats took a little later. That's twenty-something years for a complete change of view on seatbelts.

These things don't take so long once things seriously start rolling --- but before that, they are an eternity away.

Getting started in the key.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 14:27   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Again more talk on safety

Indian govt to make rear view sensors mandatory in all cars.
Government is also planning to make speed warning beep audio warning mandatory in vehicles on similar lines of seat belt wearing sign.

Quote:
In the 18th World road meeting, the government has announced that soon it will make the rear view sensors or backup camera's mandatory on all new vehicles. This move aims to reduce increasing risk to small children and pedestrians from reversing or rolling back motor vehicles.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 9th September 2016 at 14:28.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks