Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 20:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
Children get addicted to such things faster than adults. The new generation believes this is the way to live - entertainment everywhere. It is better not to aid their addiction by getting more such things just for our peace of mind. There are several ways to creatively occupy kids!

Thank you for that useful tip on parenting!

I agree with you. My 4 year old daughter gets to watch exactly one 20 minute episode of Berenstein Bears or Peppa Pig on an iPad daily (strictly no Sponge Bob or Doraemon which we think do more harm than good). But this is after she has done her "home work" from KG, read at least 3 of her books (well, we read them to her), done a few rounds of cycling in the park and some colouring / painting. I think I am okay with her having that much "addiction". On moving to Japan, I intentionally rented a (relatively expensive) apartment just because it was in front of a huge park where my kids could play and breathe in the fresh air. And we decided not to have a TV (and not because we cannot afford one).

My daughter is the kind who sleeps for 8 or 9 hours in a 10 hour drive, safely strapped in her child seat, at the back. If letting her watch her favorite cartoon for half an hour just because she cannot keep herself amused, disqualifies me from running for 'Parent of the Year' award, I can live with that.

Sorry for going way off-topic, but let us not get too judgmental. We all have our own principles and rules in life.

Why not concentrate on finding out a safer rear monitor for the OP instead?
Old 27th May 2016, 21:36   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rear entertainment screens - Dangerous or safe?

ok. Lets go there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Hard objects can be injurious to rear seat occupiers.
Just below the cloth cover of the seat in front of you is a hard object: its steel frame.

One of the things that made me take the use of rear seat belts very seriously was being told this by an ex-policeman, who said that picking bits of person out of seat frames was one of more unpleasant things that he had ever done.

So the answer is not so much in what is in front, it is in the seat belt holding you back.

However, as a driver, I can fade out the conversation I'm having when I need that attention for the road, or I can and do reach for the volume knob and turn the music off. Entertainment going on behind me, and outside of my control, would be absolutely unacceptable.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 23:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Here are my thoughts. It's ok to install these ICE monitors on the headrest provided the owner insists on rear seat passengers wearing their seat belts. But how many do? I very, very rarely see rear seat passengers wearing seat belts and if they do they're mostly from overseas. People in this country take safety very casually. I would not recommend altering the headrest (if required to install the monitor) or any other factory fitted safety feature. These safety features are designed to work in tandem to protect the driver and passengers. Alterations may lead to compromises on safety.
Well - here is my take on it - If I really need rear headrest monitors, I would install it. I would tell the rear passengers to buckle up and if they don't or if the remove the belt after sometime its their problem.

Assume I am a typical babu who is being ferried around by a driver. I am sane enough to wear seat belt for my safety even in the rear seat. Now for my daily commute, I have a headrest monitor. Now, I if I am travelling with someone and assuming I sit on the front seat and he sits on the rear seat, without wearing seatbelts, should I compromise not having a screen for my daily use for that one occasion where someone adamant would not belt up and end up smashing his head. I personally don't agree to this logic

IF they themselves don't care or want to compromise their safety or life by not wearing a belt, Why should I sacrifice the entertainment to the person who is ready to wear seatbelt.

In in such a scenario I would prefer screens over someone's safety (in case he does not listen to me on wearing seat belts).
Old 28th May 2016, 02:30   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Not quite ontopic, but the rear-seat-belt thing is as much for your safety in front as it is for theirs in the back. The can kill you as they fly through the air.

Google for the video Julie knew her killer. It's worth thirty seconds of everybody's life to watch this superb Brit safety ad.

Edit. Here you go:

They didn't have car video screens in those days, but if they had... it wouldn't have been the headrest video that got broken.

But even without that, if it is your car and your video screen, do you want it broken? Equally, one can point out to reluctant front-seat belters that you really don't feel like buying a new windscreen just because they want to smash it with their head.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 28th May 2016 at 02:33.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2016, 11:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Well - here is my take on it - If I really need rear headrest monitors, I would install it. I would tell the rear passengers to buckle up and if they don't or if the remove the belt after sometime its their problem. IF they themselves don't care or want to compromise their safety or life by not wearing a belt, Why should I sacrifice the entertainment to the person who is ready to wear seatbelt.

In in such a scenario I would prefer screens over someone's safety (in case he does not listen to me on wearing seat belts).
I think this is where we differ. When someone sits in MY vehicle their safety is MY responsibility. And this responsibility extends to not just ensuring the passengers wear their seat belts AND to me driving safely. IMO these go hand-in-hand.

Those who ride in my car are directly or indirectly known to me. So, their safety is paramount too just as it would be for me and my family. Believe me, I am pretty insistent about certain things like not eating or smoking in the car, but safety tops the list, every time. Entertainment is the least of my concerns.

So, will I bother if a rear seat passenger who is not wearing a seat belt hurts himself/herself if I brake suddenly and they were thrown forward and impacted an LCD screen? Heck YES!!! I'd be more than just downright embarrassed if this were to happen.

The video Thad has shared says it all. Passengers who don't wear seat belts do so at their own peril.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th May 2016 at 11:06.
Old 28th May 2016, 15:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, will I bother if a rear seat passenger who is not wearing a seat belt hurts himself/herself if I brake suddenly
I'll bother if some distraction from the back takes my attention in some hairy-scary moment.

True, driving is partly (especially for those with family) about handling those distractions, but I could minimise them a little by not providing the equipment to increase them.
Old 29th May 2016, 11:30   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Going back to original post question.

Are screens safe? Have not been able to find any authoritative link till now.

OTOH my friends taken my advice and had dropped the idea of in car screens.

My take on few of the comments : Enjoy the journey. Get your children involved. Let them learn about ways of nature. Take a few extra breaks. ICE is not the only way to keep them occupied and certainly not the best way.

My statement is I am responsible for all traveling in my car. Not just lip service but also ensuring that they wear seat belts.

Elders (grand parents etc.) in the back seat can also be equally susceptible to injury
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 13:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Unless the screens come factory fitted, I would doubt if they are safe or not. The rear passengers should always wear seatbelts irrespective of screens or no screens. And why not play a game of charades or spot the car rather than rely on an electronic screen for entertainment.
Old 29th May 2016, 15:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Having a niece in my car most of the times, Kids these days need an electronic device all the time these days, So either she is fiddling around with the Ipad or iphone, On the other hand i have seen several tourist car's having screens fitted over and in the middle of the front driver and passenger seat, Which is very distracting for the driver too, I think rear screen with earphones should be safe and not disturb the driver in any way.
Old 13th December 2020, 16:49   #25
BANNED

I think it is not safe to install it later from the aftermarket. The headrests are made for three major purposes according to me:-
1. In case of a frontal collision or sudden braking it will save the front passenger and driver from whiplash.
2. When a car is drowning in water the sharp rods of headrests could be used to break front windshield and escape.
3.Headrests are provided in cars for better comfort, safety and ergonomics.

Installing entertainment screens on the back of it might worsen the mentioned above situations thus, is not a safe option according to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks