Team-BHP - Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/184915-aftermarket-isofix-brackets-child-seat.html)

ISOFIX mounts are not provided in most cars sold in India, and for the safety concious buyer, this becomes a deciding factor while choosing a car.

This does not have to be so. You can buy aftermarket brackets and fit them in your car, that will let you use your child's car seat as it is meant to be used.

I searched on AliExpress with the keywords "ISOFIX Brackets" and found a plethora of options.

Universal fittings are available, as also model specific ones.
The universal ones should, in theory, fit any car.

Universal Latch ISOFIX Belt Connector Seat Belt Interfaces Guide Bracket For Child Safety Seat On Compact SUV
http://s.aliexpress.com/FJ7nQbyI
Price : $ 35.00 (~Rs.2,500)

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-1399016573918776058.jpg

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-3199480982043254076.jpg

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-31752846835409162.jpg

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-1026240622918935141.jpg

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-234821955552989491.jpg

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-11923626567418775.jpg

Name:  20170306 15.07.43.png
Views: 46546
Size:  390.9 KB

If a variant of your car, or the international variant has this feature, they there is a high probability that the provision for fitting an ISOFIX mount is present in your car. Just order the one that is made for your car, and its a direct fit.

Name:  20170306 15.20.41.png
Views: 47020
Size:  331.9 KB
Notice that the holes in the bracket are made to match the screws behind the seat.

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-1671761495659400860.jpg
This, for example, is for the focus, which should fit the Ford Ecosport / Figo / Aspire (check the holes/screws behind the seat before ordering)

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-1773649989470725142.jpg

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-1249602180694235366.jpg

For Toyota Corolla
http://s.aliexpress.com/iIVzuIzm

Even if you don't find one for your car and you feel that the Universal one is too expensive or not compatible, it is not that difficult to get the brackets custom fabricated.

Disclaimer: I have not tried any of these products yet.

Some time ago I was reading up on the benefits of ISOFIX vs. conventional seatbelt-attached car seats, and came across this page comparing both methods of mounting car seats: http://www.maxi-cosi.com/car-seats/c...eat-belts.aspx

The following information is quoted from the above page:

Quote:

Seat belt method
Choose a car seat that clearly shows how the seat belt must be positioned. This will reduce the risk of using it incorrectly.

Pros
Belted car seats are:
  • safe if installed properly.
  • flexible – it’s easy to switch your car seat between cars. But ISOFIX are even easier.
Cons
  • Up to 8 out of 10 inexperienced parents install their car seat incorrectly when using a seat belt. This dramatically reduces the protection offered to your child in a crash.
  • Car seats that use seat belts take more time to install than those installed with ISOFIX.

ISOFIX method
Pros
  • Safety tests show that ISOFIX is extremely safe. The risk of incorrect installation is low – 94% of parents use ISOFIX correctly.
  • ISOFIX is fast and easy. Just one click attaches the car seat solidly to the car.
  • An extra support leg or top tether strap increases stability, keeping your child securely in place.
  • Booster seats can be permanently secured using ISOFIX.

Cons
  • Not all cars have ISOFIX car seat fittings.
  • Some ISOFIX seats can’t be installed using a seat belt, reducing flexibility.
  • ISOFIX seats are often more expensive than belt-based seats.
  • ISOFIX seats generally weigh more than belt-based seats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4158347)
I've read many times that a properly installed seatbelt-based car seat is just as safe (or almost as safe) as an ISOFIX. Of course, the key term here is 'properly installed'. I would prefer this over an aftermarket ISOFIX install from an unknown brand.

Agreed - the pictures showing 'Model A after install' and 'Model B after install' seem to indicate that the only way of securing the metal frame is by the top tether of the child seat connecting to the latch on the frame - not very confidence inspiring.

I've read many times that a properly installed seatbelt-based car seat is just as safe (or almost as safe) as an ISOFIX. Of course, the key term here is 'properly installed'. I would prefer this over an aftermarket ISOFIX install from an unknown brand.

Of course, if you own a car whose international variants come with ISOFIX mounts, chances are you can order those mounts online and fit them on your Indian car.

5 years back, only the premium Germans had this feature. Today, it's good to see mass market cars like the Baleno offer ISOFIX :thumbs up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4158325)
ISOFIX mounts are not provided in most cars sold in India, and for the safety concious buyer, this becomes a deciding factor while choosing a car.

This does not have to be so. You can buy aftermarket brackets and fit them in your car, that will let you use your child's car seat as it is meant to be used.

Is something of this sort compatible with Figo / Aspire? Moreover, how is it fixed on the seat frame, just by 2 bolts?

I don't know about all types of ISOFIX mounts that are in the market but the ones I know (OEM ones) are welded securely on the seat frame and moreover the ISOFIX wire (the brackets in this case) are made of very high strength steel.

This looks good but the kind of load the ISOFIX mounts have to take in case of crash is quite high (more than 150Kg) and the brackets if not well designed can prove to be a weak link and thus might leave it to chance.
Not to forget if the installation is only with the help of bolts, then perhaps proper reinforcement will be required there too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4158347)
I've read many times that a properly installed seatbelt-based car seat is just as safe (or almost as safe) as an ISOFIX.

Of course, if you own a car whose international variants come with ISOFIX mounts, chances are you can order those mounts online and fit them on your Indian car.

I agree, if you don't have ISOFIX mounts on the car, better make use of the Adult seat belt which is just as safe and secure; at least we are assured that it won't give up if properly installed (which isn't all that difficult task anyway).

The 2nd option makes me wonder if at all it is possible, depends on how the ISOFIX mounts are connected to the seat frame.

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4158325)

Car seats can be safely and securely fixed with the help of seat belts.
There is no compromise in safety if we do this way. This process is approved by authorities abroad as well. :thumbs up

Secondly, are we sure we can trust the quality and safe worthiness of these after market mounts (that too from China)?

As per my experience,if it's not from a reputed brand, then the quality of Chinese goods tend to be a gamble.

Please avoid these aftermarket kits unless sold directly by the OEM as an authorized accessory. Child restraint systems are exhaustively tested multiple times, rated and approved by internal and external experts.

Choosing the correct car seat factoring in weight and height of the child, seat contours and firmness of the cushions, friction coefficient of the seat cover and (most important) fitting the seat are much more relevant points.
For example:
https://youtu.be/oxl7UR2_v4A
https://youtu.be/cpIIHQIgP1Q

Being a father of a 10 month child, i did a lot of research on this.

Currently none of my cars have the isofix option and we rely on the seat belt fastening option.

Most of the times, the rear facing seat is fixed to the i10 that my wife drives and the kid and the maid are at the back.

The problem with the seat belt type seat is that you have to unhook the top seatbelt strap to seat the child. And it is difficult to get the belt to hook up again since the belt is unspooled to the limit. My pajero belt is a few inches short and it's a pain for me to get it right.

Thus, the maid at times doesn't bother with the second hook. This makes it unsafe.

I've caught her a couple of times and have instructed my wife to either do it herself or double check. But, i'm sure there will be lapses.

Thus, the isofix option would be the best thing!

I'm going to explore these mounts. Only problem is that i'll have to buy three (one for each car) and have to change the child seat as well!

EDIT:

A lot of people here question the quality because it's from China. A lot of things get manufactured there and are part of critical components. It's a metal piece. Can't really go too wrong with it.

I'm not advocating this product till i don't see it myself but i see a trend nowadays to discount anything if it's made in China.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 4167308)

I'm going to explore these mounts. Only problem is that i'll have to buy three (one for each car) and have to change the child seat as well!

Hi Tejas, did you have the chance to get this done? Look forward to your report.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolvenk (Post 4197385)
Hi Tejas, did you have the chance to get this done? Look forward to your report.

Not really!

I'm taking it easy since we already have the rear facing regular child seat without an isofix option and once i shift to the front facing seat which is still a while (probably a year), is when i'll start research. If we change the car in the meanwhile, a lot of headaches get sorted! I'll buy one with an isofix option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek46 (Post 4166872)
Car seats can be safely and securely fixed with the help of seat belts.
There is no compromise in safety if we do this way. This process is approved by authorities abroad as well.

Agreed but it's cumbersome and like with all cumbersome procedures, the chances of people taking shortcuts is are very high.

Quote:

Secondly, are we sure we can trust the quality and safe worthiness of these after market mounts (that too from China)?

As per my experience,if it's not from a reputed brand, then the quality of Chinese goods tend to be a gamble.
I would strongly disagree with this. Most Chinese products are of good quality today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 4167308)
A lot of people here question the quality because it's from China. A lot of things get manufactured there and are part of critical components. It's a metal piece. Can't really go too wrong with it.

My +1 to this.

I'm also considering getting this fitted on my Celerio. Since you have already done the research, I won't waste time on it. I'll just wait for you to install it on your i10 and then I'll just do the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 4197397)
Not really!

I'm taking it easy since we already have the rear facing regular child seat without an isofix option and once i shift to the front facing seat which is still a while (probably a year), is when i'll start research. If we change the car in the meanwhile, a lot of headaches get sorted! I'll buy one with an isofix option.

Shifted to forward facing car seat a month back for my baby girl. As the seat belt goes behind the backrest of the car seat, it does not need to be opened and fixed each time baby sits in the seat. And the baby is enjoying a lot the forward facing seat! :):)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sallubhai (Post 4357065)
Shifted to forward facing car seat a month back for my baby girl. As the seat belt goes behind the backrest of the car seat, it does not need to be opened and fixed each time baby sits in the seat. And the baby is enjoying a lot the forward facing seat! :):)

I did the same. Shifted to a front facing seat and everyone is happy. Forget to update the thread here though.

Hello, I have a car with ISOFIX points (Ecosport T+ AT). I am planning to buy a child seat with ISOFIX mounts, but none of the affordable seats has it. So, I am planning to buy a child seat with seatbelt fix type and aftermarket ISOFIX belt. Can I fit/lock the normal seatbelt type child seat with the ISOFIX seat belt? Responses are appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by praveennvr (Post 4361134)
Hello, I have a car with ISOFIX points (Ecosport T+ AT). I am planning to buy a child seat with ISOFIX mounts, but none of the affordable seats has it.So, I am planning to buy a child seat with seatbelt fix type and aftermarket ISOFIX belt. Can I fit/lock the normal seatbelt type child seat with the ISOFIX seat belt? Responses are appreciated.

You bought a ₹ 11 lakh car and can’t afford ₹ 25,000 Isofix car seats! Please don’t take risk with car seats. Chicco Nextfit is the best one. Coming to fixing Isofix Latch to normal car seats is not possible. If the car seats don’t gave Isofix latch, you have to use normal seat belts , either lap belts or shoulder belts to fix the car seat. I have a car seat with Isofix latch, but as my car doesn’t have Isofix mounts, I’m using the seat belts.

I primarily use a 2017 Elantra SX(O) AT which did not come with ISOFIX mounts, the international variant has ISOFIX anchorages, why Hyundai why this cost cutting for our Indian market despite the model being CKD and that too a ‘premium positioned’ 22 lakh car which scored top safety ratings in the NHTSA tests :Frustrati

I really wish to get the ISOFIX anchorages fixed and as it there in the international variant, I would appreciate some input from experienced BHPians who are concerned about this.

I use a Britax-Römer Baby Safe 2 i-Size carseat for my infant turned toddler - this is belted in the Elantra and I have a corresponding Britax-Römer ISOFIX base with support leg with which the car seat is used in our Innova Crysta - this flexible setup has been working so far - however little one is growing up fast and I would need to upgrade to the next category/group seat in a few months and I am unable to find options for car seats being both belted and used with ISOFIX! I’m inclined towards Britax-Römer as they are pioneers and also have top safety ratings in the European tests. I feel that it doesn’t make sense getting 2 different carseats and I want to go with an ISOFIX equipped seat with a support leg but I really have no intention of replacing/changing the Elantra at just 2.5 years, so my only option now is to get proper ISOFIX anchorages in the Elantra! Do advise please: