Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2006, 11:27   #16
BHPian

This is quite scary, I mean, not even knowing you are getting poisoned is really quite unacceptable...

However,

1. These aftermarket accessories need to have some approval tests in place to ensure they dont jam, atleast it should open manually.... and I am sure one wouldnt mind paying few extra bucks for these tested ones...
2. I fail to understand the operation in the fresh air mode... when I open the vent in my Maruti, I start seeing dry leaves,dust etc just blowing on my face so is there any aftermarket filter available, most people dont use fresh air mode because of this....
3. After hearing of these many incidents, its probably better to have some device that detects CO/CO2 levels and start off an alarm even well in advance....
Old 6th November 2006, 16:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
2. I fail to understand the operation in the fresh air mode... when I open the vent in my Maruti, I start seeing dry leaves,dust etc just blowing on my face so is there any aftermarket filter available, most people dont use fresh air mode because of this....
exactly the point. i had to spend close to 1000 bucks everytime my air vents got blocked due to this. and the advice given is 'please do not park your car under trees'. where the hell do you get a good shade ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
3. After hearing of these many incidents, its probably better to have some device that detects CO/CO2 levels and start off an alarm even well in advance....
that would be a good system.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 6th November 2006 at 16:41.
Old 6th November 2006, 18:52   #18
BHPian

Maybe these are one of the major reasons why my skoda dealers discourage me from doing any sort of electrical enhancement. They discouraged me from eqiupping pressure horns.. even the Halogens also.. i am in a fix bcos upgrading headlamps is really important for me and doing something against what is recommended may not be right..

Cheers...
Old 8th November 2006, 17:20   #19
DRC
BHPian

Sorry This is a repost from one of the other threads. (may be they can be merged). I did not know how to link the posts.

Human body is designed with self diagnostic features.
Everyone will feel suffocated when he/she get short of oxygen (not just air). which means, if the gas you are inhaling is odorless, tasteless, colorless and oxygenless, you will feel suffocated.

All said and done, cars are not air tight like air crafts, even when all the doors and windows closed. there are numerous holes on the body connecting out side world. Had it been so, when you park your car in sun, it might bang the door on you like when you are trying to open a pressurised container or a gas cylinder or might explode due to pressure.
But the chances reduce when the water level around the car rises and starts closing the holes. and there are very few of them at the higher part of the car.

Door locks are mechanical, but central locks arre electrical. In case of a failure central locking might fail. but still every one will still be able to get out opening thier own doors.

Commonsense is the biggest safety feature in the world, and works on any kind of automobile. It is best to have trust in that and get out of the situation at a good time when you still have things in your control.
Old 8th November 2006, 18:59   #20
BHPian

If i am not wrong, the fresh air that comes into the car is sucked via the vents provided on the other side of the dash, somewhere between the wiper motors and the engine bay. So there is very little chance that the "Fresh air" mode will suck in the exhaust. Even that way, fresh air also gets into the car, which should minimise the risk.

It is just that one does not realise how long he has been stuck in traffic, as his entire attention is on getting out of traffic. Add the rain factor, the more stressed you get, to find an escape route. But very little attention is paid to the AC switches/mode at this time.

This incident has definitely shaken people and it anybody's guess what people will do the next time they get struck in traffic. You are sure to see a lot of lowered glass around. Education the hard way!! Who knows people might even forget this incident over a period of time.

Maybe they should provide an automatic changeover from Recirculate to Freshair after a particular time has elapsed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks