Team-BHP - One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/191292-one-way-spikes-prevent-wrong-side-driving-6.html)

The way i see it, the one-way spikes are the medicine given to the situation. The root of the matter is still going to be flourish no matter what short term 'medicines' are given. I see the root cause being poor/inefficient enforcement of rules and the mindset of the average driver. We actually have a good set of traffic rules but they are not enforced properly. It is a systematic issue. Similarly, we all know how the average driver thinks of traffic rules. Unless these two issues are addressed, no amount of steps such as spikes would bring about any long term improvement.

I first saw something for the same purpose in an LA parking lot in 1982! So the idea is not new, but the implementation is. Let is hope they have some success.

I think if a particular spot is witnessing a lot of wrong side traffic, the root of the problem maybe in the placement of the gap in the median on that road. Maybe they should investigate that before placing tyre killers on the road.

I'm not to sure that the Police have jurisdiction in this matter. Amanora is a private township with their own roads and infrastructure.

It is another matter that the public likes to use the road as a shortcut.

There is one time when it is quite legitimate to be on the wrong side of the road: when overtaking!

The device demo video in the first video shows the spikes, plus a barrier, plus lights (maybe an emergency-vehicle override can be built in). I still think it is a good idea in principle, but it would have to be made like this and maintained properly. Maybe a private estate might manage that; on the public roads? Not going to happen, and then it will become a danger to the innocent as well as punishing the guilty.

Just imagining, for a moment, that it could be made to work properly... How about using it for red signals? I'm imagining the pile of tyre-shredded cabs, two-wheelers, flag-waving SUVs, buses etc, that would build up in the first hour. Oh well, it's fun to imagine!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4381471)

Just imagining, for a moment, that it could be made to work properly... How about using it for red signals?

Why not something like these at junctions? I had proposed them in another thread, but other TBHPians were not too enthused :confused:

I think its a very good system considering how good we are at finding excuses to go in wrong lane. What is happening in Hinjewadi is utter nonsense.:Shockked:. These, especially like the one in the video on 1st page, should be installed even on public road i say. Even at traffic junctions, to prevent jumping signals.

Like @saywer mentioned, the fines should be proportional to the cost of the vehicle a person is driving and should be enough to cause quite a hurt to the wallet. CCTV and traffic police management is to great extent useless in India. In Goa itself i have seen cops chit chatting leisurely at the side of a traffic junction while people routinely jump signals and park vehicle right on the zebra crossing!

The cops have no intention of going after and catching these signal jumpers. People also ride without helmet and when they see cops at the junctions take U-turn on one way to escape any fines (Rs 100!). Sometimes i see hordes of people without helmet waiting on the side of highway for cops to finish their duty and go, in order to cross a bridge. (only way they can go across). But the cops never go to these people and fine them. (Hardly 200-300m walk!).

The current DGP Traffic started a scheme called traffic sentinels wherein normal people can click photos of offenders and can send them to traffic police via a whatsapp number or android app. Every offense caught has some points. 100 points gets you Rs. 1000. Although quite successful, i now see people driving without number plates!!:deadhorse How are these to be punished now?

Welcome to Banana Republic of India!

Quote:

Originally Posted by samaspire (Post 4379961)
Got the video of the Pune strips via WhatsApp. Uploaded to YouTube.

Credits to the original videographer

Here is one more of the same location by TOI. But now these are on the way out after the traffic police order I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p53ziavFsro

Thoughtful but not foolproof enough. What if these spikes get stuck due to debris or get rusted? Also I believe they work optimally only while going at slower speed. Shudder to think what would happen to two wheelers who do not notice this in the night and have their tyres torn / loose balance when going too fast or Spikes being stuck.

Not sure what is the force required to depress the spikes. can folks depress with their legs manually so as to allow vehicle from opposite direction to go through on depressed spike sets and cheating the system?

What about the side walls getting damaged because of these? Is that a possibility?

Doesn't belong to Bad Drivers thread because the spikes are meant for drivers like these who use headlights as gate pass to hoodwink any law and beat the system. No wonder I am all for re-installation of these spikes:

One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?-wrong_side_pune.jpg

Image Courtesy: Times Of India, Pune Edition, 16th April, 2018

End of Rant!

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4386600)
Doesn't belong to Bad Drivers thread because the spikes are meant for drivers like these who use headlights as gate pass to hoodwink any law and beat the system. No wonder I am all for re-installation of these spikes:

Attachment 1752098

Image Courtesy: Times Of India, Pune Edition, 16th April, 2018

End of Rant!

+100.

This morning while coming to office, I was on a divided road. A guy and a girl on a Bullet came rushing from the other end of the road, jumped the divider through a gap and continued at the same pace on the wrong side of the road before switching sides at the next gap in the median. After I crossed them, I checked my ORVM and saw their side of the road was slightly busy and these fools didn't want to slow down apparently.:Frustrati

The worst part is most of the drivers/riders I have seen, are extremely unapologetic about their act. Some of them fight and abuse since you "don't give them space", "can't see their headlights" or "can't see their waving hand".

Wrong side driving is quite taken for granted. I was coming to Cyber City from the Moulsari Avenue rapid metro. One has to cross the station and then take a right onto a two lane (barricaded high both sides) and then at the end there is a U-turn, which connects you to NH8 --> then Cyber City. There was a car inside this U-turn, wrong side. ONLY way he could have entered was to take a 90 degree turn inside.

The diagram below explains it. The yellow dot is where he would have started his venture. The red dot is me meeting him suddenly. You know what he did. He waved his hand aggressively at me to give way, and then started to open his door to get out and scare me. I was so shocked. Yes, those spikes should be installed, to maim these cars for ever. Plain retarded behavior

I still think that the spikes can be a very good idea and a real deterrent, but the placing and use needs to be carefully thought out. Implemented with the same carelessness as a bad speed hump would be horrible indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rascalangel (Post 4382530)
Like @saywer mentioned, the fines should be proportional to the cost of the vehicle a person is driving and should be enough to cause quite a hurt to the wallet.

This is the mindset of Indian people. most of the rule breakers in Bangalore at least are of this opinion. I'm riding a 1990s luna so traffic rules don't apply to me. I'm just a tiny 2 wheeler/ 3 wheeler/ car/ truck/ bus so there is space for me to squeeze through on the wrong side or on the pavement. I'm carrying public and am a public servant so the road belongs to me. I'm ferrying school children so everyone has to give way to me. I'm a cop so no rules exist for me.
Rules should be equal and impartial. Please don't encourage VIP culture.