Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2017, 11:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings

Quote:
The government has proposed all cars manufactured after March 2019 must have
- seat belt alerts
- driver airbags
- High speed warning alert system
- reverse parking alert system
What is of much interest, is the speed warning alert system.
The speed warning system is proposed to start sounding warnings at 80Kmph, and keep increasing the tone as speeds increase, and turn into 'Non-Stop-Warning' at 120Kmph.

Read more at:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61313493.cms
abhishek46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 11:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings

They want speed warnings at 80kmph. They also want to have expressways that allow Delhi-Jaipur to be done in 2 hours, which means an average speed of about 125kmph. Average speed. I really wonder how potent is the the stuff our administrators smoke.

Someone please enlighten them that if you want to average 125, you need to have cruise control engaged at about 160kmph throughout. That is the only way, considering time lost at toll booths and the inevitable bottlenecks created by design (the lack of it) or by local traffic. What our highways actually need is a concept of minimum speed. A genuinely reasonable minimum speed taking into account how much money we are spending on and how much toll we pay for our fancy new roads.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 29th October 2017 at 11:46.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 11:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
They want speed warnings at 80kmph. They also want to have expressways that allow Delhi-Jaipur to be done in 2 hours, which means an average speed of about 125kmph. Average speed. I really wonder how potent is the the stuff our administrators smoke.
The purpose of constructing express highways and imposing unrealistic speed limits has always confused me. More thoughts are required to handle the truck drivers who occupy all lanes of a express highway. NICE Road is a classic example where trucks act as a speed limiter. I once argued with a traffic cop who wanted to charge me with over-speeding offense on ORR. I told the cop that if you ensure all slow moving vehicles stick to left lane, I will not over-speed to overtake any trucks. He just let me go with a big smile.

Last edited by deehunk : 29th October 2017 at 11:50.
Old 29th October 2017, 12:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
What our highways actually need is a concept of minimum speed. A genuinely reasonable minimum speed taking into account how much money we are spending on and how much toll we pay for our fancy new roads.
In theory, this is correct; in practice, what do other travellers that want to do the same journey, do?
In the EU there is the option of country roads that do not have tolls, are slower because they are narrower, but NOT because they are badly kept like our state highways today.
We are trying to do too many things at the same time and coming up against these issues. For a population that is huge and growing, that still does not have basic infrastructure.
A lot of people love to dismiss this need for choosing priorities by saying the glib words: we should do both.
We can't even do one properly.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 13:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Telengana has already started this stupid and dangerous practice. All new cabs registered in telengana have a ecu speedlock at 80kmph. The car can't accelerate beyond 80 in any gear. Most cabbies are complaining that its dangerous especially on highways and on the orr.
The mad morons in power may want to implement it next on private cars too
Old 29th October 2017, 13:21   #6
BHPian

I agree with everything being proposed except the alert system for speeds beyond 80 kmph. It needs to be a one time affair and will probably be if wiser heads prevail. A few instances I can already think of where it will be a pain in the wrong places:
  • What happens to the Ferraris and other CBUs being imported, boy will they be mad!?
  • What if someone wants to go for a track day?

In my personal opinion, with the kind of highways being built, a universal speed limit of 80 is too low and must be increased to atleast 100 or 120 in inter-city sections of the road.

Newly built 4 laned NH10 with divider in Haryana has now a speed limit of 80 while it was earlier 90 on the undivided 4 laned highway. One can still see a few of the old signboards with speed limit of 90 kmph a few meters away from the newer ones proclaiming 80 kmph.
sidhu_hs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 19:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
I agree with everything being proposed except the alert system for speeds beyond 80 kmph.
  • What if someone wants to go for a track day?
I had exactly the same thoughts.

This will either improve after market 'fixing' for the warning or, there will be a spurt in the noise cancelling headphone market :-)
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 19:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A probable implementation could have been if the first beep sounds at 80, then at couple of times at 100 and then the intensity increases as you speed past 120. The other three are a welcome change.

/Puts a reminder to change the car in 2019 before this rule comes into picture./
Old 29th October 2017, 19:53   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

When will they overhaul the licensing system?

The problem is not so much with technology as it is with the Indian Psyche. If you ensure good drivers get into the system, you won't have to blow an alarm every time the speed increases by 10 kmph.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 20:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
When will they overhaul the licensing system?
The insurance system must be overhauled before anything else to make third party claims easier. I don't know of anyone who has got claims from third party insurance of the other vehicle incase where there is no injury to a human or death. Cops in TN will not let you file an FIR for such cases.

The NCB system should be introduced for third party insurance as well.

A working insurance system will have the side effect of reducing road rage as well.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 20:45   #11
BHPian

On the best roads ie in United States with the best infrastructure and driver training, details of speed limits are below.

As per wiki 'Speed limits in the United States are set by each state or territory. Highway speed limits can range from an urban low of 35 mph (56 km/h) to a rural high of 85 mph (137 km/h)'.

Why am I mentioning here is as I have seen mandatory speed governor on commercial vehicles in India. This is not to support or abhor the step of GOI, but for an unbiased view, especially in a diverse country like ours.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spee..._United_States

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_(device)
Attached Thumbnails
Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-us_speed_limits_may_2015.svg.png  

ritz3645 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 22:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
What is of much interest, is the speed warning alert system.
The speed warning system is proposed to start sounding warnings at 80Kmph, and keep increasing the tone as speeds increase, and turn into 'Non-Stop-Warning' at 120Kmph.
I experienced this warning system in my recent trip to UAE-on the highway. There the warning starts kicks in at the speed of 120Kmph, and it is continuous beeping sound.
It gets really annoying after some time. I understand that's the sole purpose of it beeping

It would be best if the warning system alerts at speeds over 100Kmph, that would seem reasonable.
glikithvinayaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 22:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
On the best roads ie in United States with the best infrastructure and driver training, details of speed limits are below.

As per wiki 'Speed limits in the United States are set by each state or territory. Highway speed limits can range from an urban low of 35 mph (56 km/h) to a rural high of 85 mph (137 km/h)'.
Exactly my thoughts man. Speed limits should be variable not universal. There are highway stretches in India where speed limit can be 100 or 120, and these are exactly the stretches where cops are enforcing the 80 kmph limit.
Old 29th October 2017, 23:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

What is really needed is automatic headlights and day time running lights, the latter because bikers and the former for L boards. Airbags, I'm not sure because of the Takata scandal.

Idiotic 80 kph speed limits should be dropped when diesel hatches can cruise easily at 120. Last week after some horrendous driving over the speed limit and driving zig zag over all the lanes, I managed an average speed of 50 from Salem to bangalore, I can't imagine how long it would have taken with the new beeping regulations the government pencil pushers have thought up.

I have an issue with calling the USA the place with the best infrastructure, Germany and Italy with their autobahn and autostrada definitely have a better pedigree. The USA has pretty restrictive speed limits and their products reflect that. Richtgeschwindigkeit has its benefits.

Last edited by avira_tk : 29th October 2017 at 23:02.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 10:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking, Seatbelt, Overspeeding Warnings

Quote:
The government has proposed all cars manufactured after March 2019 must have
- seat belt alerts
- driver airbags
- High speed warning alert system
- reverse parking alert system
Seat belt alert - Will be disabled by inserting the belt from the back or buying a special accessory

Driver airbag - Nothing will be done as this is post accident only and does not cause any "headache" to the driver

High speed warning alert - This will be disabled through some jugaad for sure, just like we see some cars have video playback enabled even if handbrake is disabled

Reverse parking alert - This is ok, I guess is there in most of the cars anyway, at least as an after market fitment.

I suppose driver education is necessary but don't really know to effectively do it. Self awareness is critical, but that doesn't really come to us. We only want the best for ourselves, don't care about the inconveniences which is caused to others.
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks