Team-BHP - Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/193449-government-take-strict-action-against-bull-bars-crash-guards-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4409215)
I have no patience with so many words claiming that because a car is dangerous it might as well be more dangerous.

And I have no patience for people who only want to do patch work on the symptoms but don't care about the cure...which is mostly isolating pedestrians from the roads and producing better, more skillful drivers.

UK statistic, if I remember correctly... In a collision with a pedestrian, 30MPH is the speed at which death becomes likely.

We could say that all that pedestrian-protection work hasn't been very successful then! I'd hope for better.

Whatever you say about drivers and driving may be true, and I may have said the same, but pedestrian protection is vital because... Pedestrians! Worldwide.

And come on, maybe this measure or that measure is a patch on a generally awful situation in India, but still, let's do it. It's a small contribution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 4409223)
And I have no patience for people who only want to do patch work on the symptoms but don't care about the cure...which is mostly isolating pedestrians from the roads and producing better, more skillful drivers.

Which one do you think is more feasible? Building safer cars or building compound walls across all roads so that no pedestrian can cross roads as and when they wish? Producing better drivers is definitely my choice too, but in a country like ours, its far easier to mandate rules and guidelines on 20 manufacturers than trying to mandate millions of people. At least the former is faster. The latter will take years to turn around.

Leave the case of India. Why are such crash safety tests done in countries like Europe where almost every single driver is educated and trained correctly and the quality of roads are far better? Somehow I fail to understand why complex theories must be used to prove logical matters.

Steel crash guard = Harder than plastic bumper and sheet bonnet
Plastic crash guard = Softer than sheet bonnet but lesser area of contact
Harder material OR Lesser area of contact = Greater injuries for X speed onto an object
Bumper and bonnet = Scooping up effect
Crash guard = Pushing down effect, unless you plan to have this one:
Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-1280pxchattanooga_choochoo_locomotive.jpg
Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cowcatcher#/media/File:Chattanooga_ChooChoo_Locomotive.jpg

Pushing down effect = High chance of being run over
Scooping up effect will cause severe or fatal injuries at a moderate or high speed. However, a bull guard at a moderate or high speed will demolish the pedestrian, forget throwing them up.

Summing up the whole thing, a crash guard at 30kmph which is the typical in city speed will cause more damage to anything that comes in its way, compared to a car designed to be compliant with pedestrian crash safety norms. This is where I will stop trying to justify. Thanks for listening if you reached till here :)

Guys, I believe the honorable court was going to decide on the ban on bull bars in Oct'18. Has there been any movement on that front ?

Understand that there's a stay on
additional figments like bull bars etc.

Has there been any final decision yet ?

I apologize in advance, I only went through a few pages but I couldn't understand is there a different law for a bull bar and a off-road bumper?

From what I understand, bull bar is a accessory added in front of the OE bumper which always looked weird and unsafe for both the car and the pedestrian but the off-road bumpers replaces the OE bumper with metal one.

So are both of them illegal? as off-road bumper can technically mess with the dynamics and sensors. Plus off-road bumpers too have a detachable/wielded bar that looks like a bull bar but serves a different purpose.

Just curious to know, as I do want to get a Gypsy/Thar as a project for off-road in the near future.

Are they really. The discussion has been running for ages with no action. I hope the bosses are serious this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4883688)
Are they really. The discussion has been running for ages with no action. I hope the bosses are serious this time.

As with every other of the road and traffic rules. It's all fart and no sh**. Lots of noise in the beginning, but it all fizzles out with nothing substantial having come out of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 4323690)
the Ministry has instructed all States and Union Territories to take strict action against any/all vehicles fitted with crash guards and bull bars.

The Irony is, the Same Government Vehicle, Isuzu V-Cross is fitted with a Fancy Bull Bar which is formally inducted into our City Police force today by our DM & Superintendent of Police.lol:

Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-img_20201208_175051.jpg
It seems the :rules: are only for the aam jantha.

OT: I don't know about India but abroad police vehicles have permission for nudge bars for performing the the PIT manoeuvre.

There are various reasons for bull bars to be avoided on any vehicle, some of the reasons are:-

1.Bull-bars make crumple zones ineffective by transmitting crash energy directly to the
body structure, thus causing injuries and death to the occupants.
2.Bull-bars may interfere with airbags from opening during accidents by upsetting the
sensors during a crash.
3.Bull-bars are dangerous for pedestrians, cyclists and two wheeler riders. Especially when
cars are being designed to reduce the impact of a crash on pedestrians, bull-bars cause
serious injuries and death to other road users as they often jut out of a car during a
crash.
4.Bull-bars damage chassis of a car during a big accident, as because of its rigidity, the
impact is disproportionately distributed, resulting in the crash energy being forced onto
the body structure.

The Tamil Nadu police have revived their efforts to stop vehicles from using bull bars. They are stopping such cars, removing the bars on the spot and fining the owners for use of this illegal accessory.

https://youtu.be/AQ_KQoSx1Gw

Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venkatesh (Post 4962587)
The Tamil Nadu police have revived their efforts to stop vehicles from using bull bars. They are stopping such cars, removing the bars on the spot and fining the owners for use of this illegal accessory.

I've long hoped to see this happen, but didn't expect that I would. :thumbs up

Gentlemen,

What was the conclusion of the Delhi HC ban on bull bars. Did the honorable court give a decision on this. Got hit from behind by an Activa while standing at a red light. After the hit my rear parking camera stopped working apart from the scratches on the bumper. Am seriously thinking of getting a rear bumper protector for my car. Nothing on the front.

If you fit a guard bcos Activa hits your rear, tomorrow someone reverses & you'll want to fit a front guard. Leave alone it's scratches, tomorrow the guards could be spoilt & you'll have complaints.

We love our car beyond ourselves. The car is built with some knowledge. Leave it as it is.