Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2018, 08:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

UK: Safety tech in cars results in 10% lesser accidents

According to data compiled by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), UK, modern safety technologies including autonomous braking, parking assistance and blind spot indicators have resulted in 10% lower accidents over the last 5 years. It was also reported that 60% drivers in UK count on the technology for improving their quality of life including having a stress-free journey.

SMMT also reports that 7 out of 10 new cars in UK are available with driver assistance systems. SMMT calculated the economic benefit of over GBP 51 billion due to these technologies. Savings come in the form of cheaper insurance costs, shorter journey times, lesser fuel usage, opportunity costs saved due to lesser accidents and repairs.

In 2016, over 17,98,781 new cars or 66.8% of the total sales, came equipped with collision warning systems as standard or optional extra. The same number for 2015 stood at 15,30,065 (58.1%). Further, 53.1% of new cars came equipped with autonomous braking, 58.8% with parking assistance and 42.1% with blind spot alerts.

While the collision warning systems just warn the drivers of the upcoming dangerous situations, the autonomous emergency braking (AEB) system applies the brakes without the user inputs to keep occupants of the car safe. Adaptive cruise control is now available in 36.2% of cars in the UK, which basically keeps a safe distance from the vehicle in front with varying speeds as per the traffic conditions.

While vehicles equipped with these technologies are not autonomous or self-driving vehicles, in future, more cars are expected to be equipped with technologies like AEB, blind spot monitors and traffic jam assist to makes roads safer. In India, due to regulations over frequencies, not many cars come equipped with radar-based systems. The road transport ministry has approved a new regulation to make parking sensors and speed warning mandatory on new cars from 2019. The Volvo XC90 T8 was the first car in the country to offer Radar-based safety functions.

UK: Safety tech in cars results in 10% lesser accidents-screen-shot-20180124-8.40.07-am.png

UK: Safety tech in cars results in 10% lesser accidents-selfdrivingtechnology.png

Source - SMMT

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 24th January 2018 at 08:52.
blackwasp is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 11:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: UK: Safety tech in cars results in 10% lesser accidents

This is brilliant; infact just making Airbags, ABS and ESP mandatory in India would probably see more than 10% reduction of accidents and related causalities.

And with many of these safety tech getting mandatory in Europe I it may soon flow into India with the CKD/CBU models.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 02:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This is brilliant; infact just making Airbags, ABS and ESP mandatory in India would probably see more than 10% reduction of accidents and related causalities.

And with many of these safety tech getting mandatory in Europe I it may soon flow into India with the CKD/CBU models.
To a certain extent ABS, EBD and ESP will help in India. But Airbags will only help if our people start following to buckle up inside the car. Without seat belts the casualties are not going to reduce in case of a crash. Also the build quality of our so called volume seller cars .

Why is Maruti or Hyundai having different versions for India and abroad? Their greed to make more money and our system which is hesitant to introduce tougher norms for the build quality of cars are the main culprit.

When Volkswagen can build a Polo and sell it for same price as an I20 or Baleno, why can't these makers do that? Forgot European cars. These mass manufacturers were not even able to match their cars with Etios in crash test results .
Old 20th February 2018, 21:43   #4
BHPian

While I am not contesting "data", as a recent "UK Licensed driver" I would say that a lot of it is also because of the system that the government has put in, that everyone is cautious when it comes to driving here (or in EU). For example, the "license test" is so organized that unless you are familiar with the road safety rules, you will tend to fail in the exam, which is points based. These are also updated to suit the current situations - now learners have to take the practical test based on satnav directions and not the examiner provided directions.

Similarly, if I change address I am legally required to make sure that the new address is updated in the license, failing which I can have penalty points added to my license. While I know that this is all nothing less than a "herculean task" for a country of our size, not one government is interested in making any amendments to put in place the basic of such laws. I still remember when a BJP MP was killed in an accident in delhi, during the beginning of this govt's tenure, they immediately said they are going to bring forth tougher measures, but none so far. (Disclaimer: I am neither a supporter nor a hater of any govts. current or past).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks