Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:10   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu is setting up a high-end vehicle tracking cum speed enforcement device

Apologies if I sound pessimistic, but being a TN resident, I for sure know this isnt gonna take up. Even if it takes up it wont be upkept for more than a week.

98 crores? Hahaha, our greedy shameless ineffective politicians would swindle 90 crores and put 8 crores into the project. And that defines the success of this program.

While I admit it is a welcome move(I would be one of those who would pay a lot of fine ), I am sure it cannot be executed in Tamilnadu.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu is setting up a high-end vehicle tracking cum speed enforcement device

I'm very skeptical about this project. The idea seems nice, but I think implementation will be huge challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshnvjy View Post
Over speeding doesn't cause accidents....Good, scientific road design such as elevated ramps with adequate run offs and wide shoulders apart
You've said it yourself- scientific road design can reduce fatalities.

I'd not agree with you on over speeding doesn't cause accidents- it does.

Doing 80 kmph in a 50 kmph zone in a state highway is more dangerous than doing 350 kmph on a German autobahn. It's all about which idiot is going to come in your path sooner or later in India.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:53   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree with the implantation concerns and simple stuff like whether or not the equipment will still work in three months... And if anyone will care.

As to the more general conversation, it seems to me that the subject is about the technology, and this particular attempt to implement it, not about if there should even be speed limits or if they should apply to everyone. There are, and they do.

No holy-holy intended here: I exceed speed limits too. I would like to think that I only drive at safe speeds, but... We all like to think that, right?

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th February 2018 at 15:10.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 09:44   #49

Doesn't help as long as standard number plates aren't enforced. Most of the overspeeding offenders also break the number plate laws with fancy number plates with even fancier fonts that are hard to read.

How many times haven't you seen the black Toyota Fortuner with all the other letters in suppressed micro font other than the part where it says "1"?

Those fonts aren't good with the OCR technologies that these automated systems use.

And most lorries and trucks have their namesake number plate hidden behind the bumper / under-body bar, covered with dust and mud, with the plate being cleaned only one a year just to make the number as illegible as possible only to avoid identification in hit and run cases.

Let alone the number of vehicles like tractors etc that don't even have a number plate in the first place.
Old 24th February 2018, 13:15   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitanay View Post
Doesn't help as long as standard number plates aren't enforced. Most of the overspeeding offenders also break the number plate laws with fancy number plates with even fancier fonts that are hard to read.
Way back in time, when speed cameras and associated technology was fairly new in UK, people tried all sorts of things, short of removing or completely covering the plates, to obscure their numbers. The technology managed to see through all kinds of things from mud splattering to special sprays. I have no idea how they do it, but that stuff is much more advanced than ordinary OCI.

What (in my humble opinion) happened over my years in UK was that regular police patrols, that caught out all sorts of dangerous driving at all sorts of speeds were replaced by the cameras, which, of course, only know about speed.
Old 24th February 2018, 16:36   #51
BHPian

Taken from 2016 report.

Tamil Nadu is setting up a high-end vehicle tracking cum speed enforcement device-cause.jpg

What about the third category listed below?

Tamil Nadu is setting up a high-end vehicle tracking cum speed enforcement device-category-wise.jpg
Old 27th February 2018, 12:42   #52
BHPian

Year 2005, I was studying in Germany. Summertime and my German friend offered me to tag alongwith him to visit his family. While passing through a tunnel, something flashed and my friend said "Damn it", I had no clue what just happened. My friend said a very expensive photo was clicked by his government I was like wow, so what happens now. In few days he will get the expensive photo with a fine of 40 Euros to his postal address. Apparently they have to keep their addresses updated in some central registry. And what if you dont pay? The government agency will get into your bank account and recover the money with extra fine for non-payment/delayed payment !!! This fine collection is system is applicable for all government offences like travelling without ticket in train, etc So no escaping there. I hope with aadhar linking something similar could be implemented in India. Sounds scary but its foolproof
formel_eins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 13:40   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
. My friend said a very expensive photo was clicked by his government I was like wow, so what happens now. In few days he will get the expensive photo with a fine of 40 Euros to his postal address. Apparently they have to keep their addresses updated in some central registry. And what if you dont pay? The government agency will get into your bank account and recover the money with extra fine for non-payment/delayed payment !!! This fine collection is system is applicable for all government offences like travelling without ticket in train, etc So no escaping there. I hope with aadhar linking something similar could be implemented in India. Sounds scary but its foolproof
Most of the systems in Western Europe work like that. Still the key is to have a database with the owners of the car. In many cases the person owning the car is also the driver so that works fine. In Germany the speed cameraas need to take the image from the front as they need to actually capture the face of the driver. In for instance the Netherlands or the UK they typically take the image from the rear.

In the Netherlands the owner of the car is liable for the fine. So even if it wasnt you, you are still liable. It is actually a rare case where you are quilty without proof. It's not good enough to proof you werent in the car. Usually that is fairly easy. You need to proof that it wasnt your car in the image, which can be a lot more difficult.

Some years ago I had a problem where somebody was driving around the Netherlands in a near identical Audi A6 as mine with the same registration plates. Obviously, illegal plates and unfortunately it happens from time to time, even though our registration plates are not easy to duplicate these days. I ended up in court in which with the help of my Audi dealer was able to point out one small but very noticeable difference between the speeding Audi in the image and my own.

When I receive a fine/ticket here in the Netherlands you had better pay it. Even if you decide to contest in court you need to pay and you might get your money back if you win your case.

The whole system is completely automated. If you don't pay on time, you will get a summons, a second summons with an increase, a third summons with an additional increase, and ultematley the baliff will show up and you might end up in court.

fines/tickets, outstanding tax, unpaid due alimony and or child supporrt are all tracked via databases. If you leave the Netherlands you might get stopped by immigration if they scan your passport. Not quite sure what the lower threshold is these day. But over the years I had collegueas being stopped at immigration control because they had 50 unpaid parking tickets, one guy had not paid his alimony for six months. They wont let you go, until you settle there and then!

On company and or leased cars the tickets/fine will go to the lease company as they are the registered car owner. Obviously, they know who the driver of each car is. You will get an email from them requesting to pay immediately. Some will add a Euro 20-30 administratie charge on top. If you don't pay they will get the money from your employer who will deduct it from your salary. Every lease contract has clauses along the above method.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 13:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miel View Post
Kerala has speed cameras installed on both State Highway-1 (a.k.a MC Road) and NH-66. The speed limit varies between 60-80 Kmph. While this speed limit makes sense on 60% of these highways, there is a 40% where you can make good time if you go beyond the limit. But, sadly, this is where you will find most speed cameras. As many have pointed out, how else can revenue be generated?
A major share of these cameras are not working now in KL, at least in the south. Road resurfacing has covered up the sensors in many places and some of the cameras and associated systems have gone faulty. In NH66, very few are working. In MC road, slightly better. If you're a regular on these roads, it is easy to know which ones are working and which ones aren't.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2018, 14:50   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

TN has an endemic problem of political-flag-bearing SUVs and MUVs. These SUVs transcend the traffic laws, the laws of economics (since they don't want to pay tolls despite heavily using our highways) and even the laws of physics.

Let's say that the cameras catch a typical political-flag-bearing UV doing 130 Kmph (the minimum speed for such a vehicle), I don't foresee any NHAI employee in TN having the guts to send the challan for overspeeding to a white-and-white clad political goon. If I understand the info in this thread correctly, there is that human component in the workflow right?

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. I submit that the human link is its weakest. Am I saying that this will be a failure? Heavens, no. This weakness is not that far-reaching. We just have to be aware that the speed cameras will be effectively blind to the political class. And we need to be aware that equality won't apply here as some men are more equal than the rest.

Last edited by locusjag : 27th February 2018 at 14:52. Reason: Typo
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 18:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Looks like they started setting up the cameras in the Chennai-Trichy stretch. My dad also noted that they were installed quite close to each other. Not sure if it's in operation. Anyone got tickets yet?
Looks like average speeds will drop lower than the old 2 lane days, due to high traffic.
Old 20th April 2022, 01:17   #57
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread. Any updates on this guys?
Old 14th May 2022, 20:24   #58
BHPian

Hello all!

I just finished a Chennai - Trivandrum - Chennai drive and happened to notice a lot of High perched CCTVs along the Madurai Tirunelveli stretch along with overhead Speed Tracking devices installed with a display nearby to display the speed realtime as we pass through but none of them worked (thankfully). They seem to have been newly installed but wanted to check if anyone has any idea? Is this part of the very same project?

Sorry that I couldn't take a photograph of the same.
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 14:05   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
I just finished a Chennai - Trivandrum - Chennai drive and happened to notice a lot of High perched CCTVs along the Madurai Tirunelveli stretch along with overhead Speed Tracking devices installed with a display nearby to display the speed
Yes, I noticed them too on a recent drive from Chennai to Nagercoil and back. The last time I drove on this stretch was pre pandemic and do not remember seeing these that time (maybe I'm mistaken). However, as you mentioned, they do not seem to be functional as of now.

Cheers
Ram
Old 16th May 2022, 14:21   #60
Senior - BHPian

There were speed guns on ECR just before the Universal Kingdom just where a road takes a curve. It's a problem that police enforces a "snails pace" of a speed limit and they pocket the cash. On the highway even a 100 kmph feels like standing still sometimes. I think it would be better off to go back to Amby's and Premier's and 1st Gen Sumo's to enforce speed limits. On one hand even hatchbacks do a 0-100 kmph in say 15 secs and enforcing speed limits any lower than 100 kmph would be plain retrograde.

Most Viewed