Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2018, 20:33   #1
BHPian

Akshay Kumar as traffic policeman in new Road Safety ads

Akshay Kumar turns traffic police

Quote:
Akshay Kumar, who is a renowned personality in Bollywood, has done an awareness campaign to ensure that road users do not flout the rules on the roads. The video has been released just a day ahead of India’s Independence Day, which is also when Akshay Kumar’s latest movie, Gold, releases. All the major Indian cities and highways suffer from numerous non-law-abiding road users. Flouting the traffic rules causes thousands of accidents each year, most of which turn out to be fatal ones.

Akshay Kumar has donned a Maharashtra Traffic Police uniform in the awareness campaign. The video shows Akshay Kumar stopping a vehicle going on a no-entry road and then explaining to the driver how it can be unsafe to drive on the wrong side of the road or enter a one-way road. Wrong side driving is a major problem in India. People inside the city limits and even on the highways take the wrong way or one-way roads to save time and distance. Most of the times, it creates huge jams on the roads and on highways, major accidents are caused because of the same.

It is illegal to drive on the wrong way and if caught, the cops can issue a fine to the driver. However, this does not stop the road users from going the wrong way and create chaos. It is always imperative to ensure that everyone follows the traffic rules whenever on the road.
Source:
Cartoq

Last edited by roby_dk : 14th August 2018 at 20:35.
roby_dk is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 21:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Akshay Kumar as traffic policeman in new Road Safety ads

The Cartoq article almost makes it seem like Akshay Kumar became a traffic police constable and created live safety awareness to real-life traffic violators.. well who knows? Maybe Cartoq even believes it despite the several camera angles of the actor from within the vehicle, not to mention the obviously stereotypical acting by the whole cast.

The fact of the matter is that we can all write about road safety awareness and talk about it in campaign videos till we're blue in the face but anything on media/Youtube is simply going to be a 2 minute entertainment for the public and not much else.

Last edited by SDP : 15th August 2018 at 08:59. Reason: Let's talk about the message rather than the actor, his movie and the industry in which he works
dark.knight is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 01:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think if even a single person changes as a result of this ad, it is good enough.

Last edited by SDP : 15th August 2018 at 09:00. Reason: Quoted posts deleted
VeluM is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 07:23   #4
BHPian

I think we'll all help make this a better community if we stuck to commenting on the thread subject, the road safety campaign in this case, instead of indulging in whataboutism, conspiracy theories, or subjective opinions.
hellmet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 07:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Marketing sells. And who buys it? We - the common people.

So what is wrong if that same intent is used to do something good - that too for something that we petrolheads care about - Road Safety. This campaign will catch eyeballs and someone will learn something, at least for a few days.

Just because he's a movie star (and you don't like him) does not mean what is being done is not good.

Last edited by SDP : 15th August 2018 at 09:03. Reason: Editing out the last line about motive. Let's focus on the message and not the messenger or the motives
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 12:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Although I agree that this is a good initiative but is ill timed in my opinion atleast in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai and Thane where people are grappling with the heavy traffic congestion day in day out. The roads are bad, there is bumper to bumper traffic and in midst of this if people are pointed out as daily offenders then when would there be a campaign to show the officials, politicians as offenders for providing bad infrastructure, poor planning, delayed output?

I am not denying people break traffic rules and there is always has been a need for a popular personality to come and tell us not to break traffic rules. I would have loved to see Akshay reprimanding the road engineers, higher ups and politicians for their lack of integrity in the same frame as the common man breaking traffic rules.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 13:40   #7
BHPian

“Remember, When You Point a Finger at Others, There Are Three More Pointing Back at You”

Driving is a Privilege, Not a Right.

Driving is not a constitutional right. You get your drivers license based on the skills you have and the rules you agree to follow. After you get your driving license you must continue to demonstrate your ability to drive safely on the road. If you fail to demonstrate this ability, you will be issued traffic tickets, or even have your license suspended or revoked. No one has more right to the road than anyone else. If you're going to drive, you owe it to the other roadway users and yourself to operate the vehicle in a safe manner.

https://driversed.com/driving-inform...t-a-right.aspx
ritz3645 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th August 2018, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Akshay Kumar as traffic policeman in new Road Safety ads

If this is happening in reality, then, hats off to Akshaykumar. All of us write pages together theory on road safety /Do's and Don'ts. How many of us have even tried doing this in reality when we are pedestrians ?

If he has taken this initiative and tried this out, definitely, his concern for the country has to be appreciated.
gkveda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 13:58   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe that India will continue to descend into unruly traffic madness, until some big and tragic thing occurs and sets things off in our minds in an explosive manner.

If you didn't already know, Bangladesh witnessed a tragic accident where a racing bus crushed many school kids. The result? A mass movement on the roads where teenagers turned into vigilantes, stopping errant drivers and thrashing them, randomly stopping vehicles and demanding to see license/registration etc. This is the common Bangla youngsters' anger manifesting itself in an anarchic fashion, thanks to the failure of their elders in containing unruly traffic.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...enalty-traffic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45080129

We will reach that breaking point where our youngsters will take things into their own hands and look at us adults and ask - what kind of a world have you given to us?

And yeah, I am skeptical of the ad by Akshay. I remain skeptical of humanity itself in our country. Don't mind me.
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 17:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Our traffic indiscipline problem combined with our civic attitudes combined with genuine ignorance of traffic rules and etiquette all make quite a heady brew. No one action is going to solve it. But every big endeavor is made of a thousand bricks. This Youtube campaign is one such effort and a good one and in the right direction. Every drop counts. Compliments to the actor and the Mumbai Police. I pray for the day when we have enough trained cops and CCTV at signals to apply a big danda - the language we all understand.

So many problems have been solved over the last 40 years. This one too will. Lack of cooking gas, lack of telephones, nightmares to book a railway berth, acute shortage of airline seats, power cuts, shabby bank service and only PSU banks to go to.....I can go on. All of these seemed impossible to resolve in their times and had been chronic ailments for years and decades. Other than power outs they rest have largely disappeared. With danda applied through use of technology I believe in 10 years our traffic will get much better. For example - CCTV films you jumping red signal - your registration number is linked to your Aadhar - Aadhar is linked to your bank account - Police send you an email or WA message - next day fine is automatically debited from your account. [picture of emoji rubbing his hands in glee]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The fact of the matter is that we can all write about road safety awareness and talk about it in campaign videos till we're blue in the face but anything on media/Youtube is simply going to be a 2 minute entertainment for the public and not much else.
Well you are entitled to your views. We'll just agree to disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I remain skeptical of humanity itself in our country. Don't mind me.
...nevertheless locusjag we still like you:-)

Last edited by V.Narayan : 18th August 2018 at 18:04.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 18:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Our traffic indiscipline problem combined with our civic attitudes combined with genuine ignorance of traffic rules and etiquette all make quite a heady brew. No one action is going to solve it. But every big endeavor is made of a thousand bricks. This Youtube campaign is one such effort and a good one and in the right direction. every drop counts. Compliments to the actor and the Mumbai Police. I pray for the day when we have enough trained cops and CCTV at signals to apply a big danda - the language we all understand.
I see what I did back there - it reflects poorly on me sir, I know! How can I have painted everyone in our country with the same brush? I am sorry.

I should probably compile my dashcam footage collection and lay it all out in one thread. If you see what I have seen, my angst might just make sense to you... I have damning footage of all kinds of flagrant and wanton violations by motorists here in Chennai - so much so that I've lost all my faith in our people. There seems to be only selfishness and reckless hate on the roads.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2018, 18:14   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I see what I did back there - it reflects poorly on me sir, I know! How can I have painted everyone in our country with the same brush? I am sorry.

I should probably compile my dashcam footage collection and lay it all out in one thread. If you see what I have seen, my angst might just make sense to you... I have damning footage of all kinds of flagrant and wanton violations by motorists here in Chennai - so much so that I've lost all my faith in our people. There seems to be only selfishness and reckless hate on the roads.
locusjag I meant my comment with affection not sarcasm. You don't need to apologize for anything you've written. In fact I fully agree with you on selfishness and recklessness on our roads being out of control.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2018, 15:28   #13
BHPian

Quote:
What’s the 1st thing PM Modi does after getting into his Range Rover SUV?

https://Youtu.be/jW4gN7EA7vo

Road safety in India is something which is easily overlooked by the masses casually. However this, for sure, is changing now. The government also is taking the initiative for the same and recently, our PM Narendra Modi was spotted promoting road safety in this video.

A video uploaded by the Public Information Bureau of India will definitely inspire you. The PM is seen getting inside the swanky Range Rover and immediately wearing the seat belt. The video which was tweeted yesterday and was accompanied with the caption: “First thing the Prime Minister does when getting in his car is put his seat belt on…Whats your excuse?? Wear your seat belt.”

The video was uploaded as part of the Ministry of Road, Transport and Highway’s awareness campaign called “Sadak Suraksha Jeevan Raksha”. Famous Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar is also a part of this campaign. It aims to promote road safety and regulations and make people aware about them.

Safety measures like wearing seat belts, driving within the set speed limits and following the traffic rules are really important for one’s safety. It is good to see the PM taking such measures to promote the initiative. After all, people look up to the PM as their leader and this definitely is inspiring for the masses. This will definitely come down as a good example for the citizens to follow.

Source:Cartoq
Our honourable PM also joined the safety campaign with Akshay Kumar and I don't think this is shared for any sort of PR for which Akshay was pointed out negatively by our respected members. I think whoever is supporting the safety campaign should be highly appreciated rather than demeaning them.

It's not only Akshay all film stars follow the same routine/approach whenever they have upcoming movies to be released. They attend TV shows, serials, concerts etc. as a part of promotional exercise, nothing bad in doing so. As someone already said even if one person changes after reading/watching these ads, the job is done.

Mods please highlight the safety campaign by our PM, I am sure people will take this seriously and will not mock him like they did earlier with Akshay's campaign.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 22:28   #14
BHPian

Found the following video on YouTube. It's worth watching.

amitjha086 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks