Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 21:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 7-year old girl sets record for most number of vehicles driven - Should we really be celebrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Many motorsport champions start go-karting at the age of 5, and drive race cars in their teens. As long as this was on a closed + private road, I don't see any issue.

On a lighter note, I see a future BHPian in her .
I think there is an issue: the safety of those present at a public event, and the safety of the young girl herself.

I am 66, and have been driving cars for decades. Would it be safe to put me in the driver's seat of a truck and ask me to negotiate my way amongst onlookers? As they say in the movies, Hell No!

I guess I was younger than seven when I first took the wheel of my father's car, but I did it sitting on his lap, and I did it in an empty field. And, for that, I don't just mean the first time. I don't think that drove a vehicle alone, without a qualified driver present, until I had passed my UK driving test!

So I applaud this young lady's enthusiasm. I could maybe applaud her parents' encouragement --- but I think some details in her development and practise as a driver need to be attended to, for the safety of all.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 23:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: 7-year old girl sets record for most number of vehicles driven - Should we really be celebrating

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There is a legal driving age, and that is it. No shading and that too by ten years can be tolerated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Well, a couple of years back, Nisham was booked for letting his kid drive their Ferrari on similar conditions as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Driving without License is an Offense, irrespective of whether it is private road or public road.

License is NOT required for driving on non-public area (road / off-track). Law is quite explicit on this aspect.

Quote:
Section 3 in The Motor Vehicles Act, 1988
3. Necessity for driving licence.—
(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle in any public place unless he holds an effective driving licence issued to him authorising him to drive the vehicle; and no person shall so drive a transport vehicle [other than 1[a motor cab or motor cycle] hired for his own use or rented under any scheme made under sub-section (2) of section 75] unless his driving licence specifically entitles him so to do.—(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle in any public place unless he holds an effective driving licence issued to him authorising him to drive the vehicle; and no person shall so drive a transport vehicle [other than 1[a motor cab or motor cycle] hired for his own use or rented under any scheme made under sub-section (2) of section 75] unless his driving licence specifically entitles him so to do."
(2) The conditions subject to which sub-section (1) shall not apply to a person receiving instructions in driving a motor vehicle shall be such as may be prescribed by the Central Government.

For example :

Quote:
Then there's the little ones. Yes, those young 'uns who look pint sized but are likely to beat both you and me at a karting shootout. And we won't be able to chalk it off to them having a weight advantage. There's 10-year old Shahan Mohsin, who kicked off his 2015 campaign in style, with four wins of four races at Round 1 of the National Championship, which you can read more about on Page 194. Young Ruhaan Alva is another karter, relatively new to the sport but with already some experience karting abroad. Other up and coming racers include the Bohra brothers - Nikhil and Akshay, and Chirag Ghorpade too.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...ting-in-india/
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 07:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
License is NOT required for driving on non-public area (road / off-track). Law is quite explicit on this aspect.
You can't just quote out of context an except from a large law and put your own interpretation to it. The concept of "public place" therein has a different definition than what you think. Take a look at these judgments, that provide views of three different high courts:

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1972639/

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1039429/

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1967380/

The last one is particularly instructive. There the court held that since the general public could spectate the drilling of a borewell in a private plot, "the place of accident was accessible to the members of the public" and hence the accident took place in a "public place" for the purposes of the MV Act. I find a lot of spectators in the original video (disclaimer: I haven't watched it with the audio track enabled) so I believe the event took place in a public place as per the intention of the MV Act.

In any case, I pointed out that a 7-year old child cannot provide "informed consent" and therefore this event must be taken to have been held without her consent and as endangering her life, so action must be taken against the organisers - even if they are her parents - as per various provisions of IPC (and not just MV Act).
binand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2020, 16:21   #34
Senior - BHPian

Latest update about " Young Ruhaan Alva is another karter, relatively new to the sport but with already some experience karting abroad."....

http://indiankartingandracing.com/20...EpewEQFOSm3JsE

"Ruhaan Alva :Youngest Junior National Champion" !!
Achievements till date:
Best performance in Novice category in the Little Greenman Championship, United
Kingdom 2014. Won the Novice category in 5 out of 6 races participated
Winner – Rookie Cup 2015 at Bangalore
Vice National Champion – JK Tyre Indian National Championship 2015
2nd Runner Up 2016 – Kart Open, Bangalore
Vice National Champion – JK Tyre Indian National Championship 2016
Outstanding Performance in World Motorsport Award by FMSCI in 2017
Youngest to be nominated by CNBC TV18 for the Motorsport award of the year 2017
Vice National Champion Rotax 2017
Vice Champion Italian Easy Kart Championship 2017
Selected for Easykart World Grand Final 2017 in Italy and finished 5th
Nominated to represent India at the Rotax Grand Final 2017 at Portugal
National Champion X30 2019
Nominated to represent India at the X30 Grand Final in France.
First kid from India to be Signed up as Factory driver with Birel Art Italy
Nominated to represent India at the Academy Trophy 2020.

Last edited by vinay kamath : 5th May 2020 at 16:23.
vinay kamath is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks