Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 15:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star

Once considered the epitome of safety, has FCA lost out of safety and no longer a priority in its design?

Fiat Panda gets zero stars in crash test result - the lowest possible score in the crash test result.

The Fiat Panda (2012-) is the second car to ever be awarded zero stars for safety by safety testing organisation Euro NCAP. The first also belonged to Fiat, the now discontinued Fiat Punto (2006-2018), which was the first car to get a zero star rating back in 2017.

Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star-0.jpg

Just tested by Euro NCAP Jeep Wrangler too fared badly in the tests and scored a single star .

Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star-2.jpg

Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star-1.jpg
Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star-21.jpg

Quote:
Despite the Jeep Wrangler (2018-) being new to the market, a lack of safety systems and poor crash protection has resulted in a single star rating. It’s the first car, new or old, to receive one star for overall safety from Euro NCAP since it introduced the overall safety rating in 2009.

Link &Euro NCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th December 2018 at 15:26.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 19:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star

Michiel Van Ratingen, SecGen, @ EuroNCAP comments on Jeep Wrangler's crash test results,

Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star-dtpvnkux4aes88j.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 19:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star

Shouldn't FCA have been proactive refreshed it already? Atleast after the Punto got zero stars, a few months back.

Punto, Panda are pretty omnipresent across Italy, much like a Wagon-R, Swift in India. If they stay like this, PSA and VW would dent whatever's left of FCA's share in Italy sales, if they haven't done already.

Panda does come fitted with 4 airbags, ABS, ESP, ISOFIX standard. For Punto I think it is 6 or 7 airbags.

Last edited by GTO : 6th December 2018 at 09:30. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
narayans80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 09:39   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star

I am ASHAMED of one of my favourite brands - Jeep - scoring merely 1 star in today's day & age. This is simply unpardonable. From the Wrangler's full PDF report:

Quote:
In the frontal offset test, the connection between the A-pillar and the trans-facia beam was damaged in a way that indicated the structure would be unable to withstand higher loads. Similarly, deformation of the footwell showed that the structure had reached the limit of its integrity. Although dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of the driver and passenger dummy, structures in the dashboard were thought to present a risk to occupants of different sizes and to those sitting in different positions, and protection of this body area was rated as marginal. Dummy readings, together with the penalty applied for the unstable bodyshell, resulted in protection of the driver chest being rated as weak. In the full-width rigid barrier test, dummy readings of chest compression showed marginal protection of the driver chest. For the rear passenger, dummy readings showed weak protection of the neck and, combined with high shoulder-belt loads, poor protection of the chest.
The Wrangler's reputation will take a massive hit from this. When you are selling primarily in developed nations, that's the worst nightmare come true.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 09:45   #5
BANNED

Re: Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star

"It is truly disappointing to see a brand new car being put on sale in 2018 without AEB and lane keep assistance"

I hope the Indian manufacturers are listening because going by these remarks the whole Indian market and it's cars are disappointing where even a 1 crore car comes without a feature as simple as AEB.
agambhandari is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

See where FCA stands with respect to the NCAP test to its peers!

Most unsafe car of the year, Fiat Panda (Euro NCAP); Jeep Wrangler gets just 1 star-1.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th December 2018 at 12:45.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:57   #7
BHPian

So the car hasn't changed. The parameters have changed. That's the important point to note.

In the Indian context I wonder how many cars would satisfy any of the new European norms.

I believe we must start with regulations that mandate 6 Airbags, ABS and unending seatbelt warning buzzers to ensure seatbelt usage. This enforcement mandated by law should be the starting point to safety in India's cars.

But that brings us to the elephant in the room - MSIL, whose RC Bhargava has dismissed these safety norms over and over again. But yes times are changing, (the improved feature list in todays cars from MSIL are proof to it) - so once MSIL decides to jump on the safety bandwagon , trust me all other manufacturers will follow suit.
sai_ace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 14:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Unacceptable.

I might have accepted 4 stars due to the Jeeps form not being compatible with Pedestrian safety. I await the NCAP results for the G Wagen and also the next Gen Defender to benchmark Body on Frame SUV's
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 14:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Disappointing.

How does it feel like when your long-term favourite superhero fails in the most crucial fight of his life. Jeep Wrangler used to be my all time favourite SUV. I always used to crib about its unrealistic pricing strategy in India. And now my favourite SUV scored just one star in EURO NCAP. We have many instances of Jeep Compass's suspension failure or bumper coming out during towing. It seems there is something seriously wrong at FCA.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 07:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

In latest ANCAP tests, 2020 Jeep Wrangler safety upgrade from 1 star to 3 stars, weak structure still in the way of a 5-star score.

Jeep Wrangler gets updated safety tech for 2020 in Australia but ANCAP still warns of potential for injuries due to structural shortcomings.

The Wrangler shares its three-star rating with the Suzuki Jimny.

The only category where the Wrangler is considered a five-star car is in child occupant protection, where it scored 80 per cent.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 505
Size:  122.6 KB

Source:ANCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th December 2019 at 07:57.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks