Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2019, 16:13   #1
A M
BHPian

Crash Test Video: 2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air

Came across this video by Consumer Reports on Youtube.

Quote:
This crash test between a modern sedan and the classic 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air shows just how far passenger protection has come in the last fifty years.
Shows the importance of crumple zones in modern cars. The cabin barely shudders during the collision because of impact energy absorption.

Mods: Couldn't find any thread dedicated to crash tests so created this one.
A M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 10:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Crash Test Video: 2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air

Damn, that Bel Air literally fell apart! Many thanks for sharing this video. Anyone who thinks more metal = more safety should take a good hard look at this video.

A good reminder to me on the lack of safety in my '97 Classic. It might feel indestructible while driving, but the reality is far from that. I have to admit that her age & vintage design are on the back of my mind even when cruising at 80 kmph.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 13:24   #3
BHPian

Re: Crash Test Video: 2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air

Well, guess I'll have to drop my plan of one day owning and driving a vintage Mustang.
Thanks for enlightening me. I was one of those people who as GTO said, thought that more metal equals more strength. Honestly, I didn't think it would end this bad for the Bel Air.
I'd like to see how the Porsche 911 reimagined by Singer Vehicle Design fares in this test. Though it would be absolutely atrocious to subject such a gorgeous piece of art to this test.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks