Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2019, 22:50   #1
BHPian

Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year (drunk driving)

Lotus car company’s Indian director BANNED from driving for 1 year

Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year (drunk driving)-screenshot_20190309230924_chrome.jpg

Quote:
Imagine working for a major automobile company and then being banned from driving. The same happened has happened with Uday Senapati, who is the product strategy and management director of Lotus Cars.

The Indian origin director has been fined and disqualified from driving for 12 months after being caught drink-driving on the roads of Norwich in the East Anglia region of England.

Uday had been on a night out with friends and it went for much longer than planned.

Uday was fined £1,850 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £170 victim surcharge. He will also undertake a course for drink drivers.

In another such incident involving banning a Lotus employee from driving, former Lotus chief executive Jean-Marc Gales was banned from driving for 30 days in January 2018 after being clocked at 102 mph testing a new. UK, like most of the European countries has very strict laws about drunk driving and road safety. Regular Offenders may also be barred from driving for life.
Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year (drunk driving)-screenshot_20190309231605_chrome.jpg

Lotus is a renowned British sports car brand that specializes in making lightweight sports cars and racing cars. The company was started in 1948 and is currently headquarters in Hethel, United Kingdom. Some of their famous models include the Esprit, Elan, Europa, Elise, Exige and Evora among others.
Lotus cars are known for their sweet handling and excellent driving dynamics despite not being very powerful.

Full Article
JS Kwt is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 09:58   #2
BANNED

re: Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year (drunk driving)

He is lucky to get only a 1 year ban. Drunk driving (Driving under the Influence) can get you up to a 10 year ban.

Also, these offenses stay on your license for 10 years. Normal endorsements last for three years.
sgiitk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:33   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year (drunk driving)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
He is lucky to get only a 1 year ban.
It does appear that he was just parking the car (not saying that's cool either):

Quote:
Before getting a taxi home, he decided to move his car to a car park to avoid a parking ticket the next day.

He was stopped by police as he tried to drive his black Volvo XC60 into the car park and was arrested after failing a breath test and taken to Wymondham police station in Norwich. "He had the best intentions- it's good mitigation but it's not a defence. It was more than just a few feet," Nicholls said.
Source
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

How is such a ban enforced? I mean, here in our country I don't think it'll really make a difference, I doubt most of the people I see on Bangalore roads these days even have a license!

Just curious about how these bans work in other countries.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 12:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It does appear that he was just parking the car (not saying that's cool either)
Although I am not sure, I do believe that in the UK, you can be held for DIU for even sitting in the driver seat and starting the car when drunk.

IIRC, I saw this in some UK police documentary.
ChiragM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 13:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Is the thread titled appropriately?

Current - "Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year"

Suggestion - "Lotus car company’s director banned from driving for 1 year due to Drunk Driving"

The nationality is immaterial here, and the offence isn't!
roy_libran is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 15:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
The nationality is immaterial here, and the offence isn't!
Hey, when we make such a fuss about Satya Nadella's and Sunita William's 'Indian-connection', we should be ready to take credit for the other end of the spectrum too!

But yeah, nationality is probably not required in the title here.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Hey, when we make such a fuss about Satya Nadella's and Sunita William's 'Indian-connection', we should be ready to take credit for the other end of the spectrum too!

But yeah, nationality is probably not required in the title here.
Yeah - Both are equally irrelevant to the corresponding conversations.

However, pointing out the nationality here unnecessarily points out our country's people in a negative light.

What, to me, was really material was that the director of a automobile company was caught on a drunk driving offence. They do have a greater standard to adhere to.
Old 12th March 2019, 15:14   #9
BHPian

Re: Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year (drunk driving)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It does appear that he was just parking the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS Kwt View Post
Lotus cars are known for their sweet handling and excellent driving dynamics
I think its time like this when auto park facility (like the one Tesla offers) comes handy!

Apparently, he signs off new Products at Lotus, I am sure he will consider auto park feature in upcoming cars.
Thilak29 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2019, 09:30   #10
BHPian

Re: Lotus car company’s Indian director banned from driving for 1 year (drunk driving)

Highlights for me from the event -
1. Tries to avoid a parking ticket (worth probably £100), ends up paying over £2,000 +1 year ban. Drinking surely clouds one's decision making.
2. Is the product strategy and management director of Lotus Cars, signs off new Products at Lotus - but, drives a Volvo!
3. Personally, I am proud of his Indian connection - He might be a big shot, would have had a great night; but at the end, he still somehow remembers to save a few odd pounds of parking ticket costs.
nishsingh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks