Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2019, 13:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

India: Fewer road accidents in 2018, but fatalities up

According to a media report, 4.61 lakh road accidents were reported in India during 2018. While this number is lesser than the 4.65 lakh reported in 2017, the number of fatalities went up to nearly 1.49 lakh in 2018 from 1.48 lakh in 2017.

India: Fewer road accidents in 2018, but fatalities up-accident.jpg

Among the states, Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of road accident related deaths (22,256) in the country. The number of fatalities went up by 2,132 compared to the previous year. On the other hand, Tamil Nadu recorded 12,216 road fatalities - down 24.4% with 3,941 fewer road deaths compared to 2017. In the last 6 years, Uttar Pradesh has seen a consistent rise in the number of road deaths, while Tamil Nadu has seen a steady decline. In 2013, the two states had recorded 16,003 and 15,563 deaths respectively. Andhra Pradesh, West Bengal, Rajasthan, Goa and Puducherry have also reported a drop in the number of road accident related deaths.

The states of Gujarat and Maharashtra registered a rise in the number of road fatalities. In 2018, road accident deaths in the two states went up by 685 and 574 respectively. In terms of total number of deaths, Gujarat reported 7,974 fatalities, while Maharashtra reported 13,085.

If you consider the number of road deaths per lakh population, then Haryana tops the charts with 20.2 deaths per lakh, while Nagaland at 3.2 has the lowest.

Source: Times of India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 17:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: India: Fewer road accidents in 2018, but fatalities up

24.4% fewer deaths in Tamil Nadu can only be attributed to those barricades placed before every crossroad intersection on the highway!

Although I'm glad that less people are dying on our dangerous roads, I'm disappointed at the fact that the real cause of all these accidents haven't been addressed-mindless crossing of the road by villagers in their cars/bikes!

But started to enjoy these barricades! Going around them is great fun!
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 19:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

The true figures of accidents in India must be 20 times higher. Most fender benders are never reported. Many people don't have first party insurance and so even tracking insurance data is not very useful. Damaged vehicles are not often repaired. Even accidents causing injury are often settled without getting onto the books. We cannot pride ourselves on the accident figures and compare with countries where every incident is reported and included in statistics.
Most of us see at least 1 accident everyday. So am sure the numbers are much higher.

@Turbohead The barricades do cause a lot of accidents. Another irritating thing is the flashing red and blue lights which are bright enough to bling and calculated to trigger an epileptic attack.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 12:39   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That's simply way too many! Just to put things in perspective, about 35,000 Americans die on USA roads every year. And that's in a car market that is TEN TIMES bigger than ours.

Of course, it's not an apples to apples comparison as we are the biggest two-wheeler market in the world...a class of vehicle that is inherently more dangerous than "caged" cars.
Old 15th March 2019, 14:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: India: Fewer road accidents in 2018, but fatalities up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just to put things in perspective, about 35,000 Americans die on USA roads every year. And that's in a car market that is TEN TIMES bigger than ours.
In this case I think we have to take in account not just the magnitude of the market, but the density of road users, i.e., number of cars per km of road, and of course other factors including the quality of infrastructure.

I admit I do not know the above numbers for India and the USA, though I believe ours is higher. If anyone have the numbers, kindly enlighten.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks