Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2019, 08:20   #61
BHPian

Re: Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
There definitely are two ways off looking at it;

1. My View after being accustomed to the driving in India: The Endeavor is at fault as the Right of Passage was witsh the Santro, no further explanation needed on the same since we're all used to driving in India and it makes sense.

2. My Father's View after being accustomed to the driving in Kenya: The Santro is at fault because the Right of Passage is with the Endeavor since he is cutting lanes to cross over to the other side of the road, the ideology there being that if Right of Passage not be given to those drivers intending to cross roads it would simply slow down traffic, which again, makes sense.
It appears that the rules regulating road driving make it very clear that the Endy was at fault. Quoting from Rule 9
Quote:
Giving way to traffic at road junction.—The driver of a motor vehicle shall, on entering road intersection at which traffic is not being regulated, if the road entered is a main road designated as such, give way to the vehicles proceeding along that road, and in any other case give way to all traffic approaching the intersection on his right hand
This picture from Jharkhand Govt website pasted below also makes it clear:

Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple-8b7d60536eda40f2b01c2e1a111c09e3.jpeg

In any case fear of these kinds of incidents and the subsequent stress have put paid to my long distance driving with family.

Sources:
http://transport.bih.nic.in/Acts/The...Rules-1989.pdf

http://jhtransport.gov.in/traffic-ru...gulations.html

Last edited by diffsoft : 28th June 2019 at 08:21. Reason: To bring clarity in reading
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 01:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
In the US... driving at 110 or 140 Kmph non-stop is feasible.

Why do we assume that we can do the same in India at all times? That is beyond me. I drive at 80 or 90 Kmph and at the first sign of a potential threat (a curve on the highway, a crowded bunch of vehicles moving together by my side, a cyclist by the side of the road, a cow eating the plants stupidly maintained by the NHAI on the medians, a vehicle waiting to cross the median...) i let go of the accelerator and wait for the situation to clear up. I may switch lanes well ahead of time. It doesn't matter that my speed may have dropped to a mere 60 Kmph meanwhile...

I too follow same approach while driving on Indian 'highways'. Let go the accelerator and ready to brake on first sight of potential threat (as detailed by you). It gives that extra fraction of second, if not seconds, to react and let my vehicle react.

Also, I keep a watch on road ahead through the glasses of vehicles in front of me (and thanks to the regulation mandating high mounted stop lamps), I am ready to brake when I see a few reds ahead. God I hate those blackened rear glasses or over stacked parcel shelves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
Simply for the fact that the law is simple about having control of your speed especially when approaching intersections/ U turn junctions in highways.
You are absolutely right here.

However, as we don't know the complete details, here are few possibilities for which Santro driver can be given the benefit of doubt (some based on my personal experiences) :
  1. He was new to the area and the intersection was not well marked in advance.
  2. There might have been shrubs or police beat box on the median which blocked visibility.
  3. The whole incident, Endy going into turn to the impact happened in 3~4 seconds. He might have applied brakes in time, but most likely it was non-ABS vehicle and skidded.
  4. He was distracted for a fraction of time (looking at rear view mirrors etc.) and wasn't left with enough time to stop the vehicle.
  5. He might not be that experienced in driving and reacted late.
Quote:
still not forgetting the basic fact of having to drive SAFE ourselves .
This is the golden rule.

Last edited by AutoNoob : 29th June 2019 at 01:49.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 06:26   #63
BHPian

That is such a gossipy clickbait titling! Here's a link that is neither gossipy nor clickbaity -

The Physics of SUV Rollover Accidents

A chance to review someone of those 10th (I guess) grade physics concepts on Newton's laws; circular motion (centripetal acceleration); and center of gravity to put to rest any doubts or concerns one may have.

May our education enlighten us...even if long forgotten!
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2019, 10:15   #64
BHPian

hello

Quote:
the Physics of SUV Rollover Accidents

Interesting read up ! Many thanks for sharing !

A couple of things really make one wonder : such as the point which states that the SUVs are actually in a much more precarious state with regards to the CG when loaded with passengers !

Last edited by benbsb29 : 2nd July 2019 at 05:38. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 30th June 2019, 11:39   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
That is such a gossipy clickbait titling! Here's a link that is neither gossipy nor clickbaity -

The Physics of SUV Rollover Accidents

A chance to review someone of those 10th (I guess) grade physics concepts on Newton's laws; circular motion (centripetal acceleration); and center of gravity to put to rest any doubts or concerns one may have.

What we typically study in physics are basic laws, one at a time, in isolation. What happens in real life is several of those laws coming together, often in a sequence in a complex manner. Translating an accident like this in to simple laws of physics which can be represented through equations is a good topic for a PHD IMHO.
Whatever is the method, having a discussion like these can be valuable for us enthusiasts as well as common road/vehicle users. Those who are involved in improving vehicle dynamics will be using some advanced simulations to fine-tune the design.
Old 1st July 2019, 18:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis0965 View Post
A couple of things really make one wonder : such as the point which states that the SUVs are actually in a much more precarious state with regards to the CG when loaded with passengers !
That, I think, has to do with dynamically changing nature of the CG if and when the passengers might get pushed about as a consequence of any sharp maneuvers of the SUV. One of the reasons why loading of higher GC vehicles (such as SUVs) takes a bit more thought in ensuring heavier stuff goes to the trunk/back and remains better secured towards the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
What we typically study in physics are basic laws, one at a time, in isolation. What happens in real life is several of those laws coming together, often in a sequence in a complex manner.
Very true. The fragmented parts never quite seem to come together to make a complete whole! It's such a shame that we spend so much time solving all kinds of problems yet never bother solving the most basic ones - to connect the smaller pieces to get the whole!

Too off topic for now. Will give it a rest at that!
Old 8th September 2019, 23:26   #67
BHPian

Tata Nexon Hits Toyota Fortuner; Toyota SUV Rolls Over Four times

Quote:

Tata Nexon’s build quality has again been reiterated in this accident and is the most affordable 5-star rated car in India
In the past, there have been numerous stories shared by the Tata customers praising about the quality of the vehicles. In the Nexon’s early days, many customers shared pictures of the accidental cars and how the build quality of the Nexon saved them and their family. Here is one more such story that reiterates about the build quality of the Nexon.

The post shared on the Tata Nexon owners group does not say who exactly the accident happened. However, the owner of the Tata Nexon says that his vehicle and a Toyota Fortuner collided. The impact caused the Fortuner to roll over four times.

Further, the post mentions that the insurance claim for repair of Toyota Fortuner is Rs 11 lakh. The exact details of the accident have not been shared, but it seems like the Nexon has hit the Fortuner on its side. The Toyota Fortuner is a tall vehicle and the centre-of-gravity located at a higher spot.

This is why, it rolled over after getting hit by the Nexon, which is relatively a much smaller and lower vehicle. All the SUVs of Toyota Fortuner or bigger size have a higher centre of gravity, which causes body roll. This is the reason why the SUVs cannot be driven at high speeds around the corner.
Source: https://gaadiwaadi.com/tata-nexon-hi...in-repair/amp/
Old 8th September 2019, 23:35   #68
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon Hits Toyota Fortuner; Toyota SUV Rolls Over Four times

A similar topic has been discussed extensively in this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ng-topple.html (Crash video: Santro t-bones an Endeavour, causing it to topple)

Not surprising, since the cars in both instances (Endeavour in the previous case and Fortuner now) have a high centre of gravity. Any small car a T-boning them at a high speed will cause them to topple. Of course, the excellent build quality of the Nexon also prevents it from suffering extensive damage. We need more such safer cars on our road
boniver is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 00:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

The details are not clear. Its an one sided account from the other car's group. Only the Fortuner's repair cost is mentioned, not the Nexon.

Nexon has damage on front left fender. Fortuner on right mirror and front right fender, Broken windshield.At first look, the Fortuner doesn't seem like one that's gone through a rollover.

Looks like a thread for lot of speculation
Old 9th September 2019, 05:26   #70
Senior - BHPian

Damage will be there on both the cars, but it's heartening to hear that all passengers were safe in both the cars and walked away without injuries.
Old 9th September 2019, 05:46   #71
BHPian

Nothing clear on the speed of vehicles. A Car or SUV can topple and roll multiple times without even collision with another Car. In all probability, the driver of Mis-Fortuner must have swerved his vehicle hard, to avoid accident and the impact of collision - both factors together must have contributed to the roll..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks