Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 15:05   #1
BHPian

Mumbai: Longer wait at traffic signals if you honk excessively

I just saw this article on new initiative by Mumbai Traffic Police. Hope we have this kind of rule in other cities as well.

https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/73797612.cms

Tweeter

https://twitter.com/MumbaiPolice?ref...2F73797612.cms
atulsian is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:11   #2
BHPian

re: Mumbai: Longer wait at traffic signals if you honk excessively

Love it. I hope this really becomes a success and a model for other cities.
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 15:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The objective to reduce honking is indeed a noble thought but somehow, I am against this implementation.
The guys who are not honking and waiting patiently, will suffer just because of other impatient motorists.
There must be people who are getting late to catch a flight or report to his/her office or has an appointment with the doctor or etc etc. Why should they suffer?

If one lane is closed for a double time, the motorists on the other lane is getting undue advantages & police thinks on the other lane, there wont be any offenders?

This might workout in the long run, when everyone will get a hang of it, but till then many who abide by the law will suffer. When it's difficult to catch the actual offenders, let everybody suffer? This sounds more like a shortcut method!

Police needs to pin point the offenders and take action only against them.

This is like, in school when the teacher could not pin point the students who were making noise, the teacher decided to punish the whole class!

Last edited by Samba : 31st January 2020 at 15:41.
Samba is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 16:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Honk more wait more - Mumbai

Just love this!! Wish this were done across entire nation
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 16:40   #5
BHPian

I really hope that this idea doesn't take off. I make it a point to not honk at any time in my commute unless absolutely necessary.

For example, I don't honk at L board drivers struggling to pull out or while standing at a red signal.

Simply put, I look down on those who do so without reason as lacking in common sense. If this is implemented, I would have to bear punishment for their stupid actions.
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:15   #6
Team-BHP Support

Sorry, but as novel as this idea may look, I feel it will end up being a nuisance over time. I may be wrong about this but I believe a lot of traffic signals, especially the crowded ones in cities, are synchronized to allow for as much free flowing traffic as possible. Imagine the haphazard pile up of traffic if one is held up longer than the others.

Also, we have gotten better about honking: there'll be the odd Tom honking while waiting/after the signal has gone green, but most people realize honking doesn't speed things up. Why punish a bunch of commuters just because of one idiot.

Those who lack the patience will jump the signal, which is worse.

Lastly, this video doesn't explain this clearly. If the wait duration goes up for one lane, where and how is that time distributed? Added confusion for motorists who suddenly see green.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 17:35   #7
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Longer wait at traffic signals if you honk excessively

I doubt on the success of this idea. Imagine an ambulance stuck way back in the line. And people honking for the cars ahead to move on. End result - The Ambulance gets stuck for an additional 90 seconds.

Why do they need a Punishing Signal? Instead they should install CCTV's at signals to catch culprits or offenders who park their vehicles close to a signal thereby hampering smooth movement. The major hindrance to smooth flow of traffic in my view are :

Paver Blocks on signal junctions which causes vehicles to move very slow
Bad roads at junctions
Vehicles / Cabs parked close to junctions
People switching off their vehicles and turning them on only when the signal turns green
People parked in the wrong lane

They should be punishing all the above offenders rather than installing a Punishing Signal.

Basically we should be following an active signal model (depending on how much traffic is there - the duration should be accordingly generated)
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 18:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Tweet by Bengaluru Police Commissioner:

Mumbai: Longer wait at traffic signals if you honk excessively-br.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I doubt on the success of this idea. Imagine an ambulance stuck way back in the line. And people honking for the cars ahead to move on. End result - The Ambulance gets stuck for an additional 90 seconds.
I have similar doubts. What about emergency vehicles using sirens. Suppose multiple emergency vehicles reach a traffic signal simultaneously, is there any artificial intelligence built into the system?
airbus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:21   #9
BHPian

I drive a vehicle. In fact I have been driving since late 80s when I got my license. I think I know a thing or two about traffic and driving.
I am a born Punekar (notorious for scofflaws when it comes to vehicular discipline) I definitely know a thing or two about driving, and more importantly, why drivers honk (or rather need to honk)
  1. People hogging lanes at slow speed even if the road is clear in front of them
  2. People changing lanes without indicators, or even bothering to look behind/forward
  3. People coming from the wrong side
  4. Pedestrians who start crossing the road any time and any where they please
  5. People who wait for the timer to run down to zero before starting their engines
  6. Beggars at traffic signs. (Many a times, they are small kids, not taller than your bonnet. I am always absolutely scared I might run some kid over)
  7. Illegal encroachments on the footpaths. So pedestrians are forced to walk on the roads. Also people will stop their vehicle on the road to purchase from these hawkers. End result? Already narrow roads become narrower

These are just a few reasons why honking means protecting yourself and your vehicle from trouble/damage/legal action.
Of course there are morons, who honk just because they can.

Sadly, I have never seen authorities take absolutely any action on these points. As always this is one more incident of catching the wrong end of the stick.
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:38   #10
BHPian

I am not sure if this is actually a good idea.

Suppose, I am a junction, waiting for the signal to turn green. Only a few seconds left, some idiot from the other road starts to honk due to some reason. Will my signal reset?

Also, we tend to begin moving when a couple of seconds are left on the signal(especially in peak hours), how do you prepare for the sudden stop in case the signal re-sets at this time?
Worst! you stop and the truck/car behind you does not?

Last edited by iamahunter : 31st January 2020 at 19:39.
iamahunter is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 19:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Novel concept but doubt if it will be successful. Full marks for the attempt and thought though
Old 31st January 2020, 20:53   #12
BHPian

The idea is to inculcate street sanctity which we Indians are very poor at.

How successful will this be, only time will tell.

There are more such examples around the globe like the one below:

five46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 22:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
What about emergency vehicles using sirens. Suppose multiple emergency vehicles reach a traffic signal simultaneously, is there any artificial intelligence built into the system?
Issue is even simple, they might turn off the sensors. Turn OFF the power, sensors stop working
Old 1st February 2020, 05:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Just because you have a technology, doesn't mean you should wield it around like a child handling a toy. The point about ambulances is crucial. Honking is less of a serious issue than an ambulance stuck in traffic. In Pune, I am sure people will simply break the signal en masse if their patience is tested for too long, signal count or no count. Let us also understand that a lot of the traffic congestion is a result of extremely poor civic planning, in which road users have little to influence. The case in point? The 4-lane main road access to Hinjawadi IT Park in Pune. At the time it was built, there was ample scope to widen it or provide ramp overs to various phases. But there was zero vision from all stake holders. The result is terrible congestion on a daily basis for the over 4 lakh people working in and around the IT park.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 07:58   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, even the cops know that this idea isn't sustainable, nor can they implement it at every traffic light. This is a tongue-in-cheek way of reminding the general public that excessive honking is bad. If one goes by the publicity generated, you could say that it's mission accomplished.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks