Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 16:43   #46
BANNED

Re: Your car's touchscreen could kill you | Safety concerns about modern in-car infotainment systems

There cannot be just one reason(large infotainment screen) that leads to distraction from driving. Distracted driving is not just texting or talking on the phone, It is anything that redirects your attention to something other than driving. Distracted driving activities include:

1.Eating and drinking
2.Texting
3.Talking on the phone
4.Applying makeup
5.Making entries on your infotainment system

When doing two things at the same time, your brain is unable to give 100% to either task which can lead to a crash.
ButterRider 7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:45   #47
BHPian

Re: Your car's touchscreen could kill you | Safety concerns about modern in-car infotainment systems

Had a near miss last Saturday because the driver was busy tinkering with infotainment touchscreen.
Went on a ride on my bike last weekend outside Pune. While returning, just after crossing the Katraj tunnel, a Harrier was on the middle lane moving relatively slow compared to the rest of the traffic. I was on my motorcycle doing decent speeds around 80 Kmph. I moved to the rightmost lane to overtake the Harrier and as soon I start overtaking, all of sudden the car started swerving into my lane. I honked in panic and noticed the driver totally distracted with the infotainment touchscreen and noticed me only after I honked. The car was inches away from hitting me when he moved back to the middle lane.

After this incident, I strongly believe the manufactures and the government need to come up with something that restricts the use of infotainment system by driver while the car is in motion. We have no dearth of idiot drivers on our roads.

P.S - The thread title should be "Your car's touchscreen could kill you and others on the road"
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
After this incident, I strongly believe the manufactures and the government need to come up with something that restricts the use of infotainment system by driver while the car is in motion. We have no dearth of idiot drivers on our roads.

P.S - The thread title should be "Your car's touchscreen could kill you and others on the road"
In my view, there is nothing that requires you to touch the ICE screen for conducting your basic task of driving the car. All the necessary controls should be on your steering wheel or around it (like paddle shifters). Everything else can wait until you slow down to less than 20kph in city conditions or on a clear empty stretch on a highway.
Old 31st August 2021, 12:21   #49
BHPian

Hi
Is there a head unit model which can show reverse camera feed and is non touch screen?
I searched offline but this combination is no where to be found.
I need a basic car stereo to use with Bluetooth and reverse camera.
Old 31st August 2021, 15:09   #50
Team-BHP Support

No replacement for displacement? There's no replacment for tactile feedback either.

Even complex modern haptic feedback systems are still no match for an actual, physical click of a button.
Old 25th September 2021, 12:58   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi
Is there a head unit model which can show reverse camera feed and is non touch screen?
I searched offline but this combination is no where to be found.
I need a basic car stereo to use with Bluetooth and reverse camera.
There are older Chinese models available (FX audio etc) that come with an analog on/off button, and a rotary analog volume control. Rest would be touch.

On the other hand, I have seen separate displays that are affixed to the dash and display the rear camera feed. With that system, you can use any head unit of your liking. This arrangement looks very odd and doesn't fit in with the rest of the dash.

One of my cars (i20) has the reverse camera feed displayed within the IRVM, I find it incredibly good. Don't know if it can be added as an IRVM replacement aftermarket accessory. I would take that over the large display feed of a touch screen ICE any day. Maybe because I'm used to it!
Vitruvius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2021, 22:50   #52
BHPian

@SS-Traveller thanks a ton for sharing this excellent information. I've shared it across all family groups that I'm part of.

Eyes on the road is the key while driving. Anything that disrupts it is bad. These new age ICE systems stump experienced drivers. Imagine what impact these will have on those who have just got their DLs and new cars?

Govt should bring in regulation about ICE fitments. All units should disable video playback while the car's parking brake is not engaged. They should also mandate that these systems should have good physical buttons as well.

Regards,
lsjey
Old 27th September 2021, 11:47   #53
BHPian

Leaving aside the sane drivers, the 'other' type of drivers have only two modes of driving.

One is the default mode where they must overtake any vehicle in front of them by hook or crook, even if is only for reaching the next signal which is 100 metres away.

The second mode is driving slowly in the middle lane or fast lane because they are:

1. Talking over the phone. I still see people driving with one hand clutching the mobile in vehicles equipped with bluetooth facility.
2. Texting or even instagramming while driving.
3. Fiddling with the entertainment system.
4. Looking out the windows for a specific shop or similar location - in these cases I have seen people hitting others because their attention was focused elsewhere. However the damage was less due to the low speed.
5. Talking animatedly with passengers while looking at them and not at the road ahead.

There may be many other reasons but I find that handling the mobile has the highest number of offenders followed by the entertainment system.
Old 3rd October 2021, 18:26   #54
BHPian

Car users nowadays (especially so called educated people earning in lakhs) don't have thought process, car is a automobile and is meant for safe travel from point a to point b. But trend we are seeing nowadays is touchscreen fad, sunroof, moon roof. This is a pointer, that average user knowledge is not interested in car driving but rather car as gizmo.

In this perspective, people only will realize on road during real-life situations these gizmos can be counterproductive for safe travel of people.

sad story of average car owner nowdays: led lights, touchscreen, sunroof, 360 Deg. Camera.

but no thought is given for: crash survival-ability, wearing seat belts for all passengers, driving car in manageable speeds like 80-100 kmph, situational alertness and awareness.
navrddy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks