Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Most road accidents occur between 6 pm and 9 pm

I think there are multiple factors to this:
1. 6-7 PM sunset time and transition period between daylight and darkness. Even if you have perfect vision, it takes time to adjust to the darkness. People not using their headlamps add to the numbers (sadly!)
2. People commuting back or reaching their destination are in a hurry. Their tiredness can also affect their judgement. These two factors along with the twilight, makes a dangerous combination
3. Some parts of India don't have good streetlights
4. Some nocturnal animals might be starting their day and be very active
5. Pedestrians, two-wheelers, animal drawn carts, and bicyclists are naturally less visible

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 3rd September 2020 at 06:56.
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:37   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This has been the standard statistic since the times I remember. Right from childhood I have been hearing from the wizened that dusk is the worst time to go driving on highways & should be avoided. I tend to drive a lot during these times unfortunately when returning from other towns/cities back to home. But I drive really cautiously & patiently. Slower driving (I'm already a slow driver even under the 12PM Sun ) - around dusk helps in better time to react + chance of spotting the mistake of someone else. Its the other drivers losing control that I fear the most around dusk because I keep driving rather slow.

For outbound long distance journeys - I sleep early, get up at 2 or so & start my journey around 3-3:30 AM. Fresh & with plenty talking in the cabin!
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
1. 6-7 PM sunset time and transition period between daylight and darkness. Even if you have perfect vision, it takes time to adjust to the darkness. People not using their headlamps add to the numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
In my experience, I do find driving a bit diffcult during this twilight time
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Could this be that small twilight period where some drivers forget to switch on their headlights, especially when they've been driving for a while. I've seen this a few times.
And many more.

Should the permanently ON headlights rule for 2 wheelers be applied for other segments as well?. How much would visibility increase at this time in case lights are ON?.

Dawn accidents : Probably driver falling asleep.
Dusk accidents : Probably every one wanting to get home fast, work fatigue , denser traffic.

The above reasons cover only unintentional accidents. Morons on road are a 24Hr phenomenon.

PS: I am wondering why National Crime Records Bureau is reporting the stats and not the Ministry of roadways.

Last edited by srini1785 : 3rd September 2020 at 12:17.
Old 3rd September 2020, 13:16   #19
BHPian

Apart from the points on Lighting, No. of pedestrian and vehicle increase on the road; Driving under influence may also be a big contributing factor to this.
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

I would say it is because traffic is at it's peak at this time. Many people have different timings to arrive at work place from home in my experience. However their departure time is more or less the same as the mentioned period. Probably why I take 1 hour to drive 30 kms at 8 AM in the morning home to office and the return journey would take min 1 hour 30 mins to 2.5 hours starting at 6:45 PM. More the no of vehicles on the road = more accident probability would be my guess.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:58   #21
BHPian

I believe prime factor is the change of scope of vision (peripheral to tunnel) and the time taken by eyes to adjust to it. During my interstate drives I simply plan my Tea break near dusk, and upon starting I take another 30-40 mins to let me vision and reflexes settle in. Until then I do not exceed a certain speed I am comfortable doing. Post this, I find myself good for rest of the journey.
Old 4th September 2020, 12:11   #22
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
I found maximum number of accidents happening between late nights and early morning. Have seen most of them happening between around 1am-4 am time slab. It is mostly true for the truckers as well. Hitting a divider and crashing is the most common amongst all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

Having worked shifts many years of my life, I can safely say that the mind is the least alert between 2:30 and 5 in the morning .

This is the time the worst accidents can happen.
This is the window of circadian low coming into play. The number of accidents might be more in the evening but the more fatal ones happen between midnight and early morning. More details here for those interested. Our bodies are hardwired to sleep during this time and the attention and awareness levels are at their lowest and both physical and mental fatigue starts getting to you. Unless you have got adequate sleep and have absolutely no sleep debt, it is dangerous driving at this time. That is why you shouldn't be driving all night after working during the day.

Last edited by ike : 4th September 2020 at 12:15.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:28   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried to follow the link to the source, but that somehow would not work.

Whereas it is of course relevant to understand when most accidents happen, it is also relevant to understand when the most severe (fatal) accidents happen.

In quite a few countries you will find that the most road accidents occur during the day. Fewer accidents during night hours, but they are often more deadly.

Very busy roads lead to accidents, but speeds are often low due to congestion, heavy traffic and such. so relative few fatalities.

So I would be not surprised if a similar pattern would be applicable to India. Lots of accidents between 6 and 9 pm. For all the reasons mentioned by members. But perhaps more deadly/fatal accidents between 9pm-6am?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:54   #24

The reasons I think for more accidents during Dawn/Dusk is due to Irresponsible driving, using fancy LED lights, using high beams, failing to notice the road signs, crossing the highway where ever they like with their bikes riding on the center median to save fuel and the more important thing is Being IMPATIENT. Most of them do not know the speed of the oncoming vehicle, do their own miscalculations, cross the roads and get hit. It is a long process and highly impossible to correct them.
Old 4th September 2020, 15:51   #25
BANNED

As per records in Kerala, the most 'fatal' accidents happen between 1am and 5am. The police authorities said that many accidents are not noticed at night like those doing down a slope, ditch and ramming into trees. So crucial time would be lost before help arrives. I never drive after 1am if possible, I can count the number of times I have driven at night in the last 4-5 years. I prefer 6am to start if possible. The statistics given maybe right due to the different reasons highlighted, but that's one time that most of us have to make a travel, be it coming from job or buying essentials. We may be exhausted by the end of the day and work stress may be distracting many.
Old 4th September 2020, 16:35   #26
BHPian

The 4-8 watches (morning and evening) are handled by the senior officers on the ship (Navigation and Engineering departments). The twilight conditions during sunrise and sunset call for greater care during navigation duties. It is always best to err on the side of caution by switching on the headlights so that there is increased visibility of the road for youe vehicle as well as other vehicles are able to spot you (specially for 2 wheelers).
Old 4th September 2020, 16:55   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data for 2019, most road accidents in India occur between 6 pm and 9 pm.

Out of the 4,37,396 accidents reported in 2019, 83,097 took place between 6 pm and 9 pm. That's 19% of the total road accidents. The NCRB data also reveals that 50 road accidents happen every hour, in which 50 people are injured and 18 die.

Source
Thats 19% of accidents for around 12% of 24 hours. Does not seem unusually high, given this is also rush hour and more vehicles will be on the road than other times in the day.
Old 4th September 2020, 19:23   #28
BHPian

As some have already pointed out, while the number might be slightly high, what is of more importance might be the severity of the accidents. In the sense whether the accidents during this particular time slot are more fatal or minor one's with small injuries. A car rear ending another car in the city can be an accident but can be at very slow speeds and thus may not be as dangerous.

It may also be interesting to know where such accidents occur. Like on highways or on the outskirts of cities/towns or villages or within the city etc.
Old 4th September 2020, 19:41   #29
BHPian

Isn't this also the time frame when most people return from work?

Anecdote: a neighbor was very busy at work. He went out early in the morning and came back after 9. He drove a Zen Estilo back when that was a decent compact car. One evening he did not come back.
On asking his family about the situation, they said that he was tired but was still talking on the office phone while driving and got hit by another car. It was a miracle that he survived with some injuries. The car was a total loss.

Most people are somewhat tired after work. Maybe that's a bug reason for this statistic.
Old 4th September 2020, 20:49   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakirank View Post
Pedestrians: I have noticed post late evening and well into daylight, people seem to wake in a stupor as they cross roads. Some of these could be drivers themselves and it's unthinkable how they could do this but they do.
IMHO the riskiest time of the day is 9am and 7pm, specially on the highways. This is the time when there is a rush of factory workers going to/coming back from factories. They run across the highway and their fellows on motor bikes do not think twice before going wrong way to avoid taking a U-turn 200 meters in the opposite direction.
This heightened rush and recklessness can predominantly be seen at the start and end of flyovers.

I try to schedule my highway drives in a way to not cross the industrial zones/ major towns at these times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks