Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Parking AMT cars in D / R and not Neutral

My wife returned home in her Kwid AMT, parks it as usual in N (neutral), pulls the hand brake as usual and about a minute later neighbors come running and banging at the door saying the car rolled back. Nothing exciting in the video but just a reminder of Manual Vs AMT Parking Woes!!

Take aways

1) Minor dent on tail gate, nothing broken. Left it as-is for the 'Buri Nazar'

2) From that afternoon onwards wife only parks in D-Drive. So what I taught my wife (and few friends' wives who drive AMTs) is to pull up normally in D, foot on brake, just turn key off while car in D (pull hand brake). That way the car is locked in gear and you can take the keys out. While starting the car back, foot on brake, push D to N and hear the whirr of the motor, take hand brake off, then start and move on.

Wife has been driving the same car for over a year and she knows how to pull the hand brake and park the car, just that one afternoon she didnt apply enough pressure and it was our pure luck that lane was not filled with kids cycling and playing after 5Pm. This happened around 3PM. Big scare and lesson learnt!!
svsantosh is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 13:48   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Parking AMT cars in D / R and not Neutral

Thanks for sharing, svsantosh! Moving your post to a new thread, considering the popularity of AMTs.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 14:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
2) From that afternoon onwards wife only parks in D-Drive. So what I taught my wife (and few friends' wives who drive AMTs) is to pull up normally in D, foot on brake, just turn key off while car in D (pull hand brake). That way the car is locked in gear and you can take the keys out.
From my experience with Celerio AMT, even with the car put in D on a slope, the car rolls down if hand brake is not fully engaged. Hand brake is the key with AMT's than slotting it in D.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
From my experience with Celerio AMT, even with the car put in D on a slope, the car rolls down if hand brake is not fully engaged. Hand brake is the key with AMT's than slotting it in D.
Logically this should not be happening. If it is then there is something wrong somewhere. I have a Wagon R AMT that is used by the drivers for household work and I have tried this on our basement ramp. In 'D' and 'R' it did not roll down.
vikram_d is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 15:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Logically this should not be happening. If it is then there is something wrong somewhere. I have a Wagon R AMT that is used by the drivers for household work and I have tried this on our basement ramp. In 'D' and 'R' it did not roll down.
Yes it shouldn't happen. Is this without hand brake engaged or with hand brake? With a fully engaged hand brake and in D, it doesn't roll down in case of Celerio. But slotting it only in D without hand brake means it rolls down. I've once tested in two other Celerio's too and found the same happening. I've sold the car last year. Other Celerio owners on the forum may be able to confirm if it's that way for all cars.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 10th October 2020 at 15:27.
Old 10th October 2020, 16:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Yes it shouldn't happen. Is this without hand brake engaged or with hand brake?
Sorry forgot to mention, this was without the handbrake. I was sitting in the car and my foot was off the brake pedal.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 17:32   #7
BHPian

I've 2 AMT cars in my garage, but never used any of the above tricks when I park.

Both are parked in N with handbrake fully engaged, (as per the manual) and mind you both parking areas are at a slight incline, and never ever have they moved from their parked places.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 23:43   #8
BHPian

Probably a stupid question - it is any diff if there's a start stop button and no key?
Old 11th October 2020, 00:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
Probably a stupid question - it is any diff if there's a start stop button and no key?
It shouldn't matter since AMT cannot shift to neutral itself. Put the car in D and kill the engine.
Old 11th October 2020, 00:10   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
My wife returned home in her Kwid AMT, parks it as usual in N (neutral), pulls the hand brake as usual and about a minute later neighbors come running and banging at the door saying the car rolled back. Nothing exciting in the video but just a reminder of Manual Vs AMT Parking Woes!!

just that one afternoon she didnt apply enough pressure and it was our pure luck that lane was not filled with kids cycling and playing after 5Pm. This happened around 3PM. Big scare and lesson learnt!!

So, what exactly happened?

a) Your wife pulled the handbrake and the car rolled back? OR
b) She didn't pull the handbrake?

If it's (a), then it's a handbrake malfunction, and a mechanical failure, then go and get it checked. Could have been dangerous.

If it's (b), well, the same would have happened if it had been a manual car as well. So what's the fuss here?

Last edited by Aditya : 11th October 2020 at 16:53. Reason: Typos
turbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 13:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
So, what exactly happened?

a) Your wife pulled the handbrake and the car rolled back? OR
b) She didn't pull the handbrake?

If it's (a), then it's a handbrake malfunction, and a mechanical failure, then go and get it checked. Could have been dangerous.
There is a required amount of force needed to pull the hand brake and stop the car from rolling. While the 1st 20-30 seconds per the video the car didnt roll back, after the while there wasnt enough contact between the drum and the brake shoe to stop the roll. It wasnt obvious to the driver who was using the car for over a year.

Hence the idea came up to switch off the engine in D or R mode and further more apply hand brake.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:09   #12
BHPian

This may be a dumb question, but is there not a P mode? I thought automatics have a P (for parking mode) and that's what you should park in?
Old 3rd December 2020, 13:26   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
This may be a dumb question, but is there not a P mode? I thought automatics have a P (for parking mode) and that's what you should park in?

This is an AMT. An AMT is basically a normal manual gearbox with a bit of automation so the gear changes and thus clutching, is done automatically. So it is very different from a automatic. It does not have the Park function automatics have.

The Park function on an automatic box is usually just a pin that is slotted thought the so called A drum. Thus making movement of the wheels impossible.

An AMT is just a normal gearbox, normal clutch, it does not have such mechanism. You need to treat it, from a parking point of view, like a manual. Which means pulling the handbrake and if you want to be double sure, leave it in gear, which means on an AMT leave it in D.

Over the years I have witnessed several parked cars starting to move all of sudden. The cars had been parked for quite a while and just started to move because they did not have their handbrake pulled properly and or gear engaged.

Last time I witnessed this was this summer, you can read about it here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4864032

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 12:45   #14
BHPian

Yesterday, I faced this problem in my new Tata Punch AMT. I had parked my car on a steep upward slope in A mode (D in other AMT cars), and had pulled the hand brake to the maximum.

Just when I was about to get back in, the car started rolling and I somehow jumped in and took control. This proves that leaving the car on A/D mode doesn't work like how it works on a manual car with first gear engaged.

This incident has left me scared to the bones and I now park only on level surfaces or on moderate inclines, even it means I have to walk a much farther distance. I am now thinking of getting a wheel stopper, the one which we used on ambassadors / premier padminis.
Old 26th November 2021, 14:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashar View Post
Yesterday, I faced this problem in my new Tata Punch AMT. I had parked my car on a steep upward slope in A mode (D in other AMT cars), and had pulled the hand brake to the maximum.

Just when I was about to get back in, the car started rolling and I somehow jumped in and took control. This proves that leaving the car on A/D mode doesn't work like how it works on a manual car with first gear engaged.
How did it roll back when the hand brake was engaged? Or was it after you dis-engaged it?
I don't think putting in R or D will work like in a manual car since it is all electronic from my assumption.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks