Team-BHP - Does ABS require disk brakes on all the four wheels?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Does ABS require disk brakes on all the four wheels? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/22995-does-abs-require-disk-brakes-all-four-wheels.html)

guys,

Cars like Swift and Accent do not have disk brakes on all the fours. So how does the ABS work? Or is it that they have ABS only on two whells?

ABS has nothing to do with disc / drum brakes , important thing is to have wheel speed sensors on any kind of brake.

Disc brakes are not a precondition to ABS, altho having discs all around will improve the braking efficiency allowing ABS to operate at peak functionality

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinetik (Post 409467)
ABS has nothing to do with disc / drum brakes , important thing is to have wheel speed sensors on any kind of brake.

Could you please explain your statement. Because on drum breaks the quick release and hold mechanism won't work which is basic principle of ABS.

As for Swift I asked Maruti service manager who told me that ABS module is fitted only for front tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33 (Post 409700)
Could you please explain your statement. Because on drum breaks the quick release and hold mechanism won't work which is basic principle of ABS.

As for Swift I asked Maruti service manager who told me that ABS module is fitted only for front tyres.

I'm under the same impression as Adya, however i do not have any solid sources.

Have wondered about this for some time now....

Is ABS possible on drums, or is it even nearly as effective if it is possible...?

cya
R

Quote:

As for Swift I asked Maruti service manager who told me that ABS module is fitted only for front tyres
AS per my understanding too...this is correct.No proofs though .Would be great if someone could clear this...

ABS simply quickly locks/unlocks wheels. It is not dependent whether the car has disc or drum brakes.

You can even simulate ABS in a car which does not come equpped with ABS system! :D
This is known as Cadence Braking.

see here Cadence braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A very interesting discussion. Now, i am wondering how effective ABS on front only will be. The rear wheels will lock up & what sort of stability will that provide while braking. Are our Indian car makers just cheating us or does ABS work on drums also ? would love to know the answer.

Well i think ABS does work on drums. Its made for heavy vehicles too. The TVS group(under the lucas tvs banner i think) started marketing their ABS modules for buses about 2 years back, ECU's were sourced from Japan, with some of the smaller accessories being made here. I even saw this video once, demos were done on a wet track, and the ABS equipped bus stayed straight and in control.

I have heard that in US truck have abs and they have drum brakes all around so this means that abs works on drum brakes to

Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33 (Post 409700)

Then you will go sideways any time you hit ABS and try turning.

Swift has ABS on just the front two wheels. This system in which ABS is fitted to just the front two tyres is called Two Channel ABS wheras larger cars have ABS fitted on all four wheels known as four channel ABS.

Well, then the rear just locks up while the front locks and unlocks. So it's like yanking the handbrake into a turn, if you try a lane change with ABS active. You will just go sideways.

I am confused i have never heard of 2 channel ABS. Tried to find on google to but came up with 4 channel, 3 channel and 1 channel ABS ??? Is this something Maruti has developed on its own ?

The Swift and the Hyundai Getz have BAS which works on their front wheels only.