Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2021, 08:12   #76
BHPian

Re: How NOT to crash your car while taking delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futhead View Post
Another incident took place at Tata showroom with two floors located at Alkapuri X road,Hyderabad/LB Nagar.
Felt sorry for the injured. Car keys are being handed over to owner on the first floor and owner’s new car excitement made him start the engine and move forward. This dealership is located near by my home and they’ve got abundant space in the ground floor & at the showroom entrance to handover a car. They shouldn’t have done that. I think all multistoried dealerships should make this as a norm to handover keys to owner either for trial or delivery at ground floor only.

https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=2JiiGA...ature=Youtu.be
All happened in front of my eyes when I went to check the Harrier yesterday. The incident had happened at around 6-6:30 PM and people inside the showroom suddenly ran to check whether the guy, who drove the car, is alive or not.

When this incident had happened, the Tiago guy’s wife came down crying wondering if he was alive or not. Btw, the Tiago owner’s age might be around 50-55 years.

And, this Tiago guy had hit a Polo, which was parked in front of the showroom and due to this, the Polo's front windshield was broken and the bonnet got dented as well!
car_guy1998 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 23:41   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Another incident took place at Tata showroom with two floors located at Alkapuri X road,Hyderabad/LB Nagar.
Felt sorry for the injured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
All happened in front of my eyes when I went to check the Harrier yesterday. The incident had happened at around 6-6:30 PM and people inside the showroom suddenly ran to check whether the guy, who drove the car, is alive or not.
This indeed is the dealerships fault, they should never have attempted to hand over keys to a vehicle on the first floor. Going by the setup in the video, I guess the delivery plan was to drive onto the car-lift and then take the car to the ground. Big mistake IMO.

I guess this is a systemic problem: First a Polo, then a Kia Carnival and now this Tiago. Our driving test policies need to improve and I shudder to think what is going to happen if the government goes ahead and implements the proposal of outsourcing the driving tests to the driving schools (as mentioned here) Finally, the dealerships should ensure that once the delivery is done, the person can drive straight out of the dealership gate, instead of having to navigate a complex obstacle course.

Off topic: I guess the framed Tata build quality has been proven again. Looking at the car and the way it landed, I thought the driver might have died.
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 23:44   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Felt sorry for the injured.
Seems like the grand plan of the showroom owner/ staff was to ask customer to stop the vehicle on the platform / lift and then bring the vehicle down in style with customer in it.

Why else they let the customer to drive the vehicle to the platform ? Let apart the take off speed of the vehicle in this case, even experienced drivers can make mistake while driving car onto such platform.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 19:54   #79
BHPian

Punch delivery gone wrong.

How NOT to crash your car while taking delivery-punchj.jpg

Sarvodaya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 20:21   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
I hope, it didn't hit the Q7!!!!
I assume, it was a first time buyer/New Driver.
Imagine, if this had happened on a crowded road. This is one reason we need to have stringent driving tests, before anything else
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 20:44   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I hope, it didn't hit the Q7!!!!
I assume, it was a first time buyer/New Driver.
Imagine, if this had happened on a crowded road. This is one reason we need to have stringent driving tests, before anything else
True. Stringent Laws must be brought in like in Europe and America. But here in India it is unlikely to happen
Old 30th October 2021, 20:56   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
I took my Nexon from Venkataramana Motors Vanasthalipuram Branch. The area before the showroom can qualify as an off-road track, but the showroom guys absolutely insisted on their drivers bringing out the car from the showroom to the service road. May be, a positive after effect of the above event.
Regards,
Viswa
rampalliviswa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 21:56   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Luckily, Punch did not deliver any punches to the people standing in front of it. Showroom people should by default bring the vehicle to the main road before handing it over to the customer.
In my case, I itself insisted on that the showroom guy to bring it to the main road.
Old 30th October 2021, 22:36   #84
BHPian

To my mind few things come which may help avoid such instances

Beware of the automobile being purchased

This is a cardinal rule whenever anyone purchases a vehicle, get familiar with the car, TD the vehicle to satisfaction, take it for a long spin - surely the company will not object

Check all the features while TD, try to check the acceleration speed, breaking distance, and while some of us may do this - reversing / reverse parking the vehicle, trying to drive in dense traffic(after all you have got to do this as you drive it on ownership)

Study the environment of the showroom
Check how the showroom guys drive the vehicle in and out of delivery area
See the distance and approach of delivery area from within and without
Sit on/ inside the vehicle to get the feel

Mental preparation
Drive the car in your mind many times over- after all like peter Drucker says- all thing you do in life you do it twice - once in your mind and once actually

Prepare yourself for the delivery, take a friend (who is an accomplished driver, not a local Schumacher)

If all above does not help then swallow the ego and ask the showroom to home deliver it

Cheers
Old 30th October 2021, 22:55   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shortest first journey ever? It's almost funny.

The reason that I'm not laughing is, really it is sad. So much pride, ending so quickly like this. Such a shame.

But yes, there is a much more serious side. What does a person who plainly can't operate a clutch fluently, and who doesn't seem to be able to multi-task moving forward with steering think they are doing, taking that car out like that? Is it a giant ego that doesn't admit that these are driving skills: we are not born with them, we have to learn and practise them? Well, that's one pierced ego there: I guess we can giggle.

But it's still sad.

Quote:
If all above does not help then swallow the ego and ask the showroom to home deliver it
Yes indeed. Although the first drive might be just as unsuccessful: wouldn't like to live in the same street. Needed: more driving lessons, and, preferably on two or three different cars.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 30th October 2021 at 22:56.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 23:05   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Is it a giant ego that doesn't admit that these are driving skills
When I bought my new car home, my aunt who is very proud of her daughter asked me to let her drive the car because she has "learnt driving in driving school". My car has AMT GB.

I just would not give it to her for driving but after family pressure, found an empty flat ground and let her drive. She drove for a bit and hit the brake with the left foot and the car came to a jerking stop!

I was left aghast and told her mom to either contribute 50% to the car's price or pay for any insurance cost involved incase she damages anything.

After a few ego battles, I have not let her handle my car ever again.

The pain of dent, ding and scratch can only be understood by the owner and nobody else. They just shrug it off.

So yes. Ego, overconfidence and false confidence given by the others (especially parents) are some of the reasons.
RavSam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 05:15   #87
Senior - BHPian

In the previous decades, there was an automatic "financial" barrier to cross for those who were first timeers, i.e. the default first car was a sub 3.6m Maruti or Hyundai. Easy to handle, easy to learn.
Nowadays, anyone with a decent bank balance can just walk in and get going on a car that can have 100 bhp power. Therefore there is a need for better regulation for licensing.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 08:28   #88
BHPian

When I took delivery of my new car, I requested sales person to arrange a driver to drive the car home even though I had taken the test drive of the car. Ironically, the driver scratched the bumper .
cryptarchy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 18:16   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
I just would not give it to her for driving but after family pressure, found an empty flat ground and let her drive. She drove for a bit and hit the brake with the left foot and the car came to a jerking stop!
A few days after passing my UK test, I set off on a hundred-mile journey (to my best friend'd wedding. It was not my first time in an auto-transmission car, but I was much more used to gears. At one point on the journey, I did exactly this. In fact, I thought of changing down, so put my left foot on the "clutch." The guy behind must have thought I was mad, but, luckily, had left enough gap between us.

Hint for those unused to AT cars: keep the left leg tucked up against the seat, well away from the pedals! I didn't know that one at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
In the previous decades, there was an automatic "financial" barrier to cross for those who were first timeers, i.e. the default first car was a sub 3.6m Maruti or Hyundai. Easy to handle, easy to learn.
This makes a difference if it is a case of the car shooting forward with power one is unused to, but in this last episode, the driver could not control clutch or steering: they would have done the same thing with a ten-year-old Alto.

Basic driving skills have never changed since non-synchromesh gearboxes went out. We tend to forget that, even though many of us had watched our parents and other drivers, all our lives, developing that multitasking was not easy. Nobody can drive because they are them.

My parents could double-declutch, because they had driven cars where you had to. They taught me about it, and I'd get it, if I had to, but the one time I did try to drive a non-synchromesh car was not a pretty sight. Technology had done away with that particular difficulty, but still, the co-ordination of mind, eyes, hands and feet remains much the same. And, to say it yet again, needs to be learnt and practised.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 23:06   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Nowadays, anyone with a decent bank balance can just walk in and get going on a car that can have 100 bhp power. Therefore there is a need for better regulation for licensing.
Decent Bank Balance? I am pretty sure many people for whom even the cheapest car is a dream, stretch and use bank loans to finance their cars as they think in terms of EMI and not final cost. In this day and age, I have seen people buy even phones on EMI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks